Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Drove the 2025 Vantage today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2024, 01:01 PM
Prefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant future
Drove the 2025 Vantage today

I drove the new Vantage today at Morries. Here is my opinion as compared to the 2005-2017 era, the 2018-2024 era and I'll throw in the Roma as it's probably the closest competitor (and I'll include the C8 I had for two years). The car looks much better in real life than in pictures. While not 100% better than the older Vantages, it's a massive leap from the previous model - same with the interior. I still like the older interiors better and the analog gauges, but the new interior would not sway me away - it's very Porsche'ish. And its extremely comfortable. My buddy Dale and I sat in a Vantage with the upgraded sports seats which were a pain to try to get into the car - this one had standard seats easier to get in and out than my 2011 Vantage and the C8.

The steering is light - does not have the connection of the older Vantages. Not a fan of the digital display, at first I thought it was terrible, but driving the car it's not as bad as I originally thought. The Roma has the feel of power immediately, but when I drove it that feel of power at speed dissipates. The Roma and the C8 seemed almost too refined. The new Vantage is an extremely easy car to drive, not near the immediate feel of power. I did not drive it in Sport+ mode, only the lesser Sport mode. This could easily be a daily driver your grandmother can handle. I floored the car entering 394. The quickest car I've been in is a Tesla with Ludacris mode. I can say this is the second quickest car I've been in. With the extra cost exhaust, one of the best sounding cars also (quiet in normal driving).

The car feels solid and gives the impression of dependability - it has all the safety features standard. If money was no object given the E-Ray C8, the Roma, and the new Vantage I'd give serious consideration to the Vantage, and most likely would go that route. Money being an issue, I'd lean towards a non-abused low mile V12S still over the new Vantage. This new Vantage is a massive leap from the past and it's likely that the next few years Aston Martin will be with us longer. I guess my only issue was steering feel and the LCD panel.

Old 07-17-2024, 06:21 PM
Grizzly111
Thanks for the detailed review Prefurbia! Were you aware that you can configure the steering feel via Individual mode? I wonder if that would improve the responsiveness. Also I was not aware that a sports/upgraded exhaust was available as an option? Only the finish of tips change with the external choice of side skirt/front package (graphite/gloss black/carbon fibre) - tips are then in chrome, black or matte black respectively. I think that you possibly drove a car with just the standard exhaust and it is that good!

Old 07-18-2024, 06:41 AM
sweet991S
Very nice series of observations Prefurb! I too had a C8 for two years and, like he and others have observed, the C8 is lacking any real "soul"- yes, a VERY capable car.......no doubt. But.....my V8V Roadster 6 sp has much more 'elan and character - and is 99.8% just as much to drive as my (prev) C8.

Old 07-18-2024, 07:51 AM
007JB is just really nice007JB is just really nice007JB is just really nice007JB is just really nice
I drove it last weekend, same observation steering was really light & not real, very light & not responsive. Overall better than previous vantages, had plenty of power, but I won't buy it....

Old 07-18-2024, 02:00 PM
1stV8V has a reputation beyond repute1stV8V has a reputation beyond repute1stV8V has a reputation beyond repute1stV8V has a reputation beyond repute1stV8V has a reputation beyond repute1stV8V has a reputation beyond repute1stV8V has a reputation beyond repute1stV8V has a reputation beyond repute1stV8V has a reputation beyond repute1stV8V has a reputation beyond repute1stV8V has a reputation beyond repute
Is there any modern car that offers heavier/high-feedback steering? When I test drove the DB12, Sport+ tightened up the steering somewhat, but still synthetic in its output. I assume the new Vantage is similar.

Old 07-18-2024, 03:50 PM
Jay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 1stV8V
Is there any modern car that offers heavier/high-feedback steering? When I test drove the DB12, Sport+ tightened up the steering somewhat, but still synthetic in its output. I assume the new Vantage is similar.
Steering feel on the McLaren 570/600 is really good.

Old 07-18-2024, 04:59 PM
Grizzly111
Agree that the DB12 steering felt too light until you switched it into Sport+ mode. Then it was perfect.

Old 07-18-2024, 08:28 PM
spyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for sharing your review and comparisons. The car looks beautiful. I'll have to see one in person soon!

Old 07-21-2024, 08:51 AM
Prefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant future
Yesterday Morries Aston Martin made the new Vantage available to drive from those in my Midwest Aston Martin Group (and then we would be doing a lunch driver afterwards). Those that showed up were 5 previous gen Vantage Owners and a Vanquish Owner. The consensus was they all liked the new Vantage but all felt there was that visceral disconnection. One thought that the GT3 was the only car on the market that still had the visceral feeling. The sales staff at Morries did not experience any of the previous generation models, so one let the salesman drive his V12S, and only them did the salesman realize what we all are talking about. I also saw the configurator of the new Vanquish (I think I remember seeing it starts at $514K, and they already had one ordered at $600K. It's got the tail end of the Valour but the front of the DB12 and a bit of curved Chris Bangle on the sides. Weird in pictures - maybe great in the flesh?? No interior picts.