Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Clutch pedal travel "fix"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2024, 03:53 PM
speedracer800 is just really nicespeedracer800 is just really nicespeedracer800 is just really nicespeedracer800 is just really nice
Clutch pedal travel "fix"

Everyone with a manual Vantage or DBS /DB9 knows exactly what I'm refering to. As much as I love my DBS, this has always been the single sticking point that complicates our relationship. Since my first 6speed DB9 I've endured this issue but have never stopped working on a way to correct this seemingly "baked in" design flaw regarding the extremely odd clutch engagement/disengagement point in relation to the clutch pedal travel.

I think this problem is widely accepted at this point, as a "normal" character trait of these cars by not only enthusiasts, but Aston Martin itself. Regardless, I'm sure like many of you, I've refused to believe there is truly nothing to be done to improve this condition. From clutch replacement to different methods of bleeding, I've tried them all with only small amounts of (perseived) improvement unfortunately. Every couple of years or so while performing some type of routine service, I always take another look at this in hopes of some type of "ah ha" moment and I think I may have something finally.

I began by considering a redesign of the pedal itself in hopes of physically changing the location of the pedal as it relates to its position at both full compressed and fully extended. While messing around with some different design possibilities, I realized that this could be much easier than I expected.

I hit the innerweb in search of some different types of adjustable "pedal stops" that could be secured to the clutch pedal and change the position of the clutch pedal at full compression (imagine a block of wood under the pedal).

​​​​​​Since the "wasted" pedal travel is all from the floor to the engagement point, you really only need to remove a small amount of travel to make an enormous difference. The part I settled on is a generic pedal stop that clamps to the pedal and has an adjustable threaded stop that makes contact with the floor delivering a very firm stop. At this full compressed position, the pedal feels exactly as if it contacted the floor. After a little bit of use, the muscle memory changes and it truly feels as it should have from Aston Martin. The adjustment is really helpful and will allow for tweaking of the stop to get you exactly the feel you're after.

The only thing that needs a bit of fooling with is the neutral safest switch. Because the pedal is not compressing the same distance, the tab on the pedal that makes contact with the neutral safety switch comes up a bit short. Super easy fix is a rubber stopper and some double sided tape, etc. For testing purposes, I just used a small zip tie to hold the switch fully compressed and the car can't tell the difference.

I'm absolutely thrilled with this and I'm finally rid of the only quirk that ever really troubled me about these cars. If anyone is interested, I could post some info regarding the part I settled on and some photos of the install.

Old 07-17-2024, 05:47 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
I’m interested. Having clutch engagement in ‘mid air’ makes smooth launches tricky because your foot is off the floor. I thought of your solution a few years back, but l was too lazy to try it.

Old 07-17-2024, 06:18 PM
Argus has a spectacular aura aboutArgus has a spectacular aura about
How does it work with the safety switch for starting the car ie pedal to floor to start the car?

Old 07-17-2024, 09:05 PM
speedracer800 is just really nicespeedracer800 is just really nicespeedracer800 is just really nicespeedracer800 is just really nice
Originally Posted by Argus
How does it work with the safety switch for starting the car ie pedal to floor to start the car?
I addressed this in the post.

Old 07-17-2024, 09:23 PM

Not easy to get a good picture but I think this probably works. You just position the stop on the pedal in a location that allows for solid contact on the head of the adjustment (bolt). Then the bolt can be threaded either direction to adjust to your liking. It works so well.. Just pissed I didn't go forward with this years ago. I got the part on eBay. It's not perfect.. Could really use longer mounting bolts and I also plan to build a better type of something to replace the adjuster bolt.. That should also get a lock nut or a couple jam nuts to better secure in place.

Old 07-17-2024, 09:26 PM
https://www.ebay.com/itm/37469492806...mis&media=COPY

Here's another photo of the install.

Last edited by speedracer800; 07-17-2024 at 09:29 PM.
Old 07-18-2024, 10:25 AM
Argus has a spectacular aura aboutArgus has a spectacular aura about
Got me there. Read it 2 times and it didn’t sink in.

Old 07-19-2024, 09:57 PM
Davil is infamous around these parts
I’ve got a manual V8. What is the problem with the clutch that everyone experiences? Late engagement? Something else? Mine doesn’t annoy me so curious here.

The reverse gear ratio is the main annoyance, but I’ve sort of got used to working around that bit of craziness.

Old 07-20-2024, 04:09 AM
TR-Spider is infamous around these parts
Nice - thanks for sharing that!

Old 07-20-2024, 03:48 PM
SLVRon is infamous around these parts
I've never viewed this is a problem in my 07 V8 Vantage, though I've never noticed that the clutch is as heavy as many others claim either I've driven manual cars for 30 years, and nothing about the Vantage seems off at all.

Now the gearshift lever being set back a little far - that was the one that took some getting used to. And my seat is as far back as I can get it without touching the rear parcel shelf.

Old 07-21-2024, 12:28 AM
I have never owned a Vantage nor have I ever driven one. The issue I'm referring to regards the point within the clutch pedal travel where you begin to feel the clutch disengage. The issue is solely a problem when taking off from a dead stop. It feels as if you are 80% of the way through the pedal movement (up) before you begin to feel the clutch disengagement / bite (whatever). It's really uncomfortable and puts your foot at an awkward position. It's incredibly easy to stall the car..especially if starting on a rise when you need to take your foot of the brake and the car starts rolling backwards.

I too have owned dozens and dozens of manual transmission cars and I have never experienced anything like this. My DB9 did this and my DBS does now too. When I bought my DBS, I noticed a ton of clutch slippage on the test drive. It was obvious that the previous owner had really screwed it up over the short 12,000 miles or whatever he owned it, so the dealer agreed to install a new clutch as a condition of my purchasing it. I was hoping that this might help the situation, as I'd driven other DBS(s) and knew they acted exactly as my DB9, but I don't think it helped much. The tech at the Aston Martin dealership agreed that this is just a trait these cars have and it's considered "normal". I asked about trying some type of adjustment or ??? but he said there was nothing that could be done.

Obviously it's not severe enough to put me off the car in general and many people aren't troubled by this, but it sucks.. This fix just eliminates some of that clutch travel. It feels like you are pushing the clutch in fully but just moves that (to the floor)position closer to the driver. I hope this rambling makes sense.. ?

Old 07-21-2024, 01:32 AM
For me it's the same with the clutch pedal travel of the Vantage.

Last edited by TR-Spider; 07-21-2024 at 01:36 AM.
Old 07-21-2024, 01:34 AM
Originally Posted by SLVRon
Now the gearshift lever being set back a little far - that was the one that took some getting used to. And my seat is as far back as I can get it without touching the rear parcel shelf.
There is the option of bending the inner rod of the shift lever forward, which gives you some better ergonomics.
Not for the faint-hearted, though...

Last edited by TR-Spider; 07-21-2024 at 02:02 AM.
Old 07-21-2024, 10:39 PM
Davil is infamous around these parts
Thanks speedracer. I don’t have that problem with my Vantage. Then again I do have enormous feet and do always choose flat soled shoes for driving so maybe that plays into it somehow.