Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Window drop question...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2024, 09:56 AM
GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !
Window drop question...

I recently replaced my door modules with the latest version to fix some weirdness with the passenger side window not always pushing up when the door was closed. The passenger door latch and the push cable between the latch and keylock was also replaced at the same time to address an intermittent fail to lock.

With the old modules the windows would drop when the interior handle was pulled and before pushing on the door. With the new modules they don't drop when the handle is pulled, but only when the door is pushed open. If I'm in a hurry, the windows will catch on the outer trim where before they would always be dropped before the door ever moved. I've learned to slow down opening the door, but it seems like they should be dropping when the handle is pulled. The change happened with both the driver and passenger windows so only the modules are relevant to both. Does this seem right for anyone that has a later Aston or has had their modules done?

Also... the windows have been calibrated and do drop when the outer handle blades are popped out and before the door is unlatched.

Last edited by GA_DB9; 07-24-2024 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-24-2024, 10:59 PM
EJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry to hijack your thread but: How did you initially diagnose the failing door modules?
My rear driver side window is not moving at all anymore, so I am pursuing a window motor replacement, but now I am wondering if it could "just" be the door module?
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...roll-down.html

Old 07-25-2024, 06:54 AM
GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by EJ_Rapide
Sorry to hijack your thread but: How did you initially diagnose the failing door modules?
My rear driver side window is not moving at all anymore, so I am pursuing a window motor replacement, but now I am wondering if it could "just" be the door module?
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...roll-down.html
There were a lot of weird things with locking and window drop. Occasionally the doors would only lock every other time but the clincher for me is the windows would occasionally get stuck in a loop of going up then dropping in a loop that would repeat until the door was opened and re-closed. The locking failure of the passenger door was 100% due to a broken push tube for the keylock to latch, but there were too many gremlins and out-of-sync issues with the doors that couldn't be explained. I just said, "screw it" and replaced both modules. After replacing, the locking action is a lot louder and stronger and everything about the doors is more consistent and just feels fixed overall. Except for the window drop when pulling the inside handle...

Everything I've seen about the Rapide looks like they're using modern Pektron modules and not the manufactured to spec custom modules of the older cars.

Old 07-25-2024, 06:15 PM
EJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond repute
Thank you for the detailed answer.

Old 07-26-2024, 08:51 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
I'm confused with how the windows used to drop with inner door handle. There is no micro-switch that would signal that action on a VH car apart from Rapide. The DB9 and V8 Vantage utilize latch signal for the drop feature. Updated modules and programming didn't change this feature.

Old 07-27-2024, 10:05 AM
Thanks for that feedback. To be fair the car has been out of commission for a bit while some other work was being done. I had talked to my SO and she seemed to recall the window dropping on the inside handle pull as well. In all the time we've had the car I never noticed the window scraping the trim on the way out. Regardless, I'm just happy to have the majority of issues sorted out.