Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

2008 V8 Vantage Clutch Bleeding

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2024, 04:38 PM
ragingfool35 is infamous around these parts
when you order a Foxwell, you specify the car it is to be used on. it will come with special AM functions that include bleeding ASM hydraulics, . but you can do the 1st/neutral bleeding method with another person to actuate the paddles. let us know which means you use and how well it works please
also note that your hoses are likely cracked near the hose clamps. if you are doing a fluid flush, it might be a good time to replace those hoses with the upgraded type that last longer, but i did not see enough room to access the hose connection on top of the transaxle...

some applicable tidbits in these threads regarding the Foxwell clutch statistics clear and bleed

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...s-misfire.html
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...luid-leak.html
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ag-review.html

Last edited by ragingfool35; 07-30-2024 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-30-2024, 05:15 PM
AstonFan1
I see that there is a newer version of the tool that redpants sells cheaper than amazon:
https://shop.redpants.lol/product/foxwell-nt710/

From my research this one will do the job and is preloaded with AM software. I read the owners manual and you can actually plug in the SD card to a PC and update/install new makes as well. This is perfect so I can add my parents and friends cars as well. So I'll go home tonight and inspect the lines for cracks and if I see any then I'll wait to do this job and order hoses, fluid, the scan tool and pickup a transfer pump. I definitely only want to do this job once.

Reading through those links you provided solidifies that I'm going to buy Foxwell. It seems surprisingly versatile for being sub $500. In the past I expected only 10k Snap-on scanners could complete these functions.

Last edited by AstonFan1; 07-30-2024 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-30-2024, 05:36 PM
just be aware that software for other cars is additional $, but probably worth it
i purchased my Foxwell 530 in April from Foxwell store for $160
i also have an AMDS...

Last edited by ragingfool35; 07-30-2024 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-30-2024, 05:43 PM
AstonFan1
I might make them give me money for their cars software upgrade whenever I next need to scan their cars

I just checked the Foxwell website and didn't see anything about Aston Martin:
https://www.foxwelldiag.com/products...40688581116070

Does anyone know how many liters of fluid this takes? I'm guessing I should buy 2L.

Last edited by AstonFan1; 07-30-2024 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-30-2024, 06:09 PM
it says Aston Martin on that page of your link...just not alphabetical.
i think you buy it, recieve it, then choose Aston Martin during activation vis home computer. April was long ago...
i purchased 2L to do a flush job...i think it is in the owners manual
redpants, Velocity AP, etc sell the Dave Appley Eng improved hoses
i purchased from here at much better cost
https://www.sequparts.com/product-ca...ge-sportshift/

Last edited by ragingfool35; 07-30-2024 at 06:29 PM.
Old 07-30-2024, 07:24 PM
AstonFan1
I just got into the car and found what I suspected but didn't want to find. Both hoses are cracked but don't appear to have leaked but the reservoir is bone dry so I'll be ordering the lines and the fluid from the link you provided and I'll email Foxwell just to be sure I get Aston Martin software preloaded and I don't have to pay extra if they send the wrong one.
The shop manual doesn't show the bleed screw, can you confirm it's the one in the front of the torque tube for me please?

Last edited by AstonFan1; 07-30-2024 at 07:27 PM.
Old 07-30-2024, 07:31 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
At least you have a good idea of what's involved and how to remedy it. How many miles on your ride? Foxwell with AM software is a very reasonable purchase.

Old 07-30-2024, 07:44 PM
The shop manual doesn't show the bleed screw, can you confirm it's the one in the front of the torque tube for me please?

i think so but i dont know for certain
checkout timestamp 4.00

Old 07-30-2024, 07:53 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
It's the in the same position regardless of SS or manual. Just as the clutch and slave cylinder are in the same place.

Old 07-30-2024, 07:55 PM
AstonFan1
Originally Posted by J doubleU
At least you have a good idea of what's involved and how to remedy it. How many miles on your ride? Foxwell with AM software is a very reasonable purchase.
Yes it and I owe it to all of you for being so helpful during this process.it will be much easier then doing the rear brakes which I did on Sunday, prompting all this. My 08 Vantage currently has 41k on it. I'll start with Foxwell and if I ever find a decent price on the actual Aston diagnostic software, I'll buy that too. I plan to always have an Aston in the garage.

Old 07-30-2024, 07:57 PM
AstonFan1
Originally Posted by ragingfool35

i think so but i dont know for certain
checkout timestamp 4.00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpQgueHvzyo

Thank you very much, that just confirmed it for me. I'll do a nice full write up of this process as soon as it's completed so that it's saved here for everyone.

Old 08-01-2024, 08:05 AM
AstonFan1
I have everything ordered now so I'm just waiting on parts.

Last edited by AstonFan1; 08-28-2024 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-28-2024, 09:48 AM
AstonFan1
I finally finished the job last Thursday night, new lines, new fluid and bled it. There was no leak at the completion of the job nor during idling the car, until the day after I drove it and parked on the slight angle in my driveway. I tore it all back apart last night and cannot find any source of the leak but I know it came from the reservoir, either the tank itself is leaking or the connections directly off it because that's the only place that's wet(the bottom and sides of the reservoir). I ran it while being under it and saw no leak, changed gears, revved it, nothing. Looking at the fluid level in the reservoir it was still "full", just below the cap threads but my under shield was wet with the clutch fluid. My BMW mechanic said since I filled the reservoir up to the brim, the cap might have a weep hole and the excess fluid leaked out. Is this a possibility or do I have an actual leak? If the cap is not a possibility then I'll probably buy an new reservoir if it leaks again since it is original to the car and sits between the exhaust and transmission, so it gets hot.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

My next tests will be:
Tonight - Run it on the ramps and change gears again, let it run for 10 minutes and look for a leak
Tomorrow - Run it on the ramps and change gears again, let it run for 10 minutes and look for a leak
Tomorrow - Lower the back of the car so it's tipped the same way it leaked last time, run it, change gears and look for a leak

If I don't see anything then I'll put the under shield back on, drive it then use a scope camera when I get back home to look for leaks so I do not need the take the rear under shield off again.

Old 08-28-2024, 12:16 PM
You overfilled it. When they sit the system pressure slowly bleeds back to the reservoir. If it's filled nearly full when your are running the pump (shifting gears to test) then it's going to do what you described. Even at 3/4 full it has the possibility of leaking at the cap when it bleeds down.

Old 08-28-2024, 02:15 PM
AstonFan1
Originally Posted by J doubleU
You overfilled it. When they sit the system pressure slowly bleeds back to the reservoir. If it's filled nearly full when your are running the pump (shifting gears to test) then it's going to do what you described. Even at 3/4 full it has the possibility of leaking at the cap when it bleeds down.
Thank you very much for confirming that. I'll clean it all up and continue driving it and checking on it for more overflow leaks. I suspect it won't leak again since at rest after 3 days of not driving it, the tank wasn't at the top like it was when i finished the job last week. But since you said even at 3/4 full it could leak, it might if I drive it more than 15 minutes at a time. My normal drive is 15-20 to a car show then home a few hours later.
Thank you again for your help.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2008 V8 Vantage Clutch Bleeding