Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Best all-season tires for my 2010 V8V 6 sp?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2024, 04:57 PM
sweet991S
Appreciate your comments, which seem to support my choice. Happy Motoring - seeya in the corners.

;-)

Old 08-16-2024, 09:32 PM
SloMoShun is infamous around these partsSloMoShun is infamous around these parts
I’m not a chemist or materals scientist, but my limited understanding is that the polymers in “summer” tires can freeze/crystallize in very low temps, which you’d certainly think would cause degradation. So the development of Z-rated compounds that can tolerate low temps is sorts of like the development of multi-viscosity oils—don’t have run 20w in the winter and switch to 40w in the summer any more. The performance down side of all seasons isn’t in the compound but the tread design. A summer tire will sacrifice wet weather performance by not carrying the tread pattens out to the edge of the tire. Instead the edge will be a grooveless “ slick” that, in a corner, will transfer the load across the length of the contact patch. Th drain water, an a/s tire carries the tread out to the edge. This creates independent tread blocks that have to carry a higher amount of load since they don’t distribute it along the entire contact patch length in a corner. So if you track day or race the car, the outer edges of the tire quickly wear/degrade.
You might not care, but personally I wanted to track day the DB9, or maybe enter it in the Virginia City Hill Climb. No longer an easy option with the all seasons. If you’re not into that, you’ve given up, as a practical matter, nothing. On public roads in the US, you’d still wind up in prison if you drove at 70% of what your Aston can do.

Last edited by SloMoShun; 08-16-2024 at 09:34 PM.
Old 08-17-2024, 05:33 AM
sweet991S
Thanks! I'd offer that your "limited understanding" is not so limited....! LoL