Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

opinion and advice need

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2024, 10:36 AM
Prefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant future
opinion and advice need

I have a pristine 2011 modified (see PDF) V8 Vantage Midnight Blue with Sahara Tan interior and am interested in a similar V12S up for sale that I've been looking at, same 27,400 miles as mine. I've had three V12S Vantages before - one being a 'Timeless Certified' previously owned (22K miles) by Aston Martin in England that I had found out had been a research vehicle and tracked. There are many previous posts on this car. Aston Martin settled out of court and replaced it was a 8K mile one owner (locally by elderly gentleman) V12S which was a zero issue pristine car. I traded that in on a 2017 new V12S that also was perfect, no issues. The replaced 'tracked' car was resold to a buddy and within weeks the engine blew up (literally parts spread in the street). Although my current car is perfect and Aston Maintained, I miss having a V12S. Here is my issue I'd like advice. The V12S I'm looking at had Aston services and maintained till about three years ago (three owners). Its 'Q' factory modified with incredible seats (like the older Rapide's), and interestingly factory non-Aston clutch according to the build sheet I got from the Technical Hub of Aston Martin which I thought very unusual. All that seems good. Here's the bad. The plugs were replaced (non-Aston shop) three years ago without doing the coil packs and PVC which should be done when everything is apart. This tells me the owner at the time was a bit cheap. On a different service at a Bentley shop three years back, the maintenance said 'engine mounts leaking' and the owner did not replace them. On reading why engine mounts go bad, one reason is severe acceleration and braking indicative of a very hard life. This combined with a non-Aston clutch by 'Q' might mean the initial owner tracked the car and it's had some hard use. Coil packs, PVC, and engine mounts with labor will be about $7K, some of which I can negotiate on price. Given my past history, I don't want to get another tracked V12S - thoughts or advice?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ModsAston.pdf (2.98 MB, 34 views)
Old 09-02-2024, 01:19 PM
sweet991S
My two cents? Keep Lookin'! Happy Labor Day all!

Old 09-02-2024, 06:17 PM
007JB is just really nice007JB is just really nice007JB is just really nice007JB is just really nice
there are plenty of V12 cars out there, I'd look for something with less miles & good service records.

Old 09-02-2024, 06:18 PM
EJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond repute
Where did you get those nice floor mats?

Old 09-02-2024, 08:36 PM
terminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to behold
Keep looking.

Old 09-02-2024, 08:38 PM
V12Vin
Anyway, I think I know which V12S you're looking at. It was previously sold on BaT as well.

PVC? Or PCs? I thought for the AM29 those can only be replaced if you removed the head. Removing the intake manifold doesn't provide enough clearance to remove the PCVs. Maybe ultramarine can confirm this.

That said, you don't have to drive the car on a track to abuse it. I always know when my neighbor leaves his house with a steep driveway: His burnt clutch. Still insists he knows how to drive a stick and He never tracks. But if the track thing bothers you, move on to another car.

Old 09-02-2024, 09:00 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Prefurbia, does the clutch info on the AM Technical Hub say something other than "Valeo Clutch (APC4)"?

Old 09-03-2024, 06:38 AM
Prefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant future
Yes - that's not special order?

Old 09-03-2024, 12:38 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
I think it's the norm. That's what it shows for my car. I also looked up a few random VINs before and after my car's VIN, and they all say the same thing, so it looks like that's OEM.

Old 09-03-2024, 02:57 PM
decided to pass on this one

Old 09-03-2024, 05:59 PM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
There is a 2017 V12s on Bring A Trailer now with 3300 miles on it.

Old 09-03-2024, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by Prefurbia
decided to pass on this one
Not because of the clutch, I hope.

Old 09-04-2024, 08:38 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
I would've passed on it.

Old 09-04-2024, 10:13 AM
Just to be clear, I'm only saying that the clutch info showing in the AM Technical Hub appears to be normal original equipment. I'm not suggesting he should buy the car he was looking at -- he had additional concerns about it.

Old 09-04-2024, 10:49 AM
Not the clutch, but maintenance that was shortcut (coil packs should have been done at spark plug change) and the leaking motor mounts likely indicating hard driving. I found it interesting that a dealer would even report to CarFax the customer refused to have the motor mounts addressed, so someone in the chain of events was upset. Of the 3 V12S and 4 V8 Vantages I've owned, the one V12S was tracked and literally every component, most of he computers, and drivetrain has been replaced except the transaxle since I've dumped the car. Never want to replicate the deceptive purchase so I'm extra cautious.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: opinion and advice need