Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Rubber pads under the slam panel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2024, 05:42 PM
UltraMarine is a glorious beacon of lightUltraMarine is a glorious beacon of lightUltraMarine is a glorious beacon of lightUltraMarine is a glorious beacon of lightUltraMarine is a glorious beacon of lightUltraMarine is a glorious beacon of light
Rubber pads under the slam panel

FYI, noticed 1/2 the rubber pads were missing last time I took off the panel.

For reference, they are 3M SJ-5003 . Typically sold in Qtys of thousands but available on eBay in smaller strips.

The ones on my car were grey (or white that got dirty with time). After a good cleaning for adhesion I replaced them all with black ones since that's what was quickest to get.

Old 09-05-2024, 10:17 PM
EJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond repute
What's their purpose?

Old 09-06-2024, 04:46 AM
UltraMarine is a glorious beacon of lightUltraMarine is a glorious beacon of lightUltraMarine is a glorious beacon of lightUltraMarine is a glorious beacon of lightUltraMarine is a glorious beacon of lightUltraMarine is a glorious beacon of light
They're on the bodywork and the metal slam panel sits against them to prevent rubbing against the surface

Old 09-06-2024, 08:26 AM
embdenb has much to be proud ofembdenb has much to be proud ofembdenb has much to be proud ofembdenb has much to be proud ofembdenb has much to be proud ofembdenb has much to be proud ofembdenb has much to be proud ofembdenb has much to be proud of
I have never noticed this.

Old 09-06-2024, 11:17 AM
ram_g
Hi @UltraMarine where exactly is this? I’m embarrassed to say I don’t know what a “slam panel” refers to!

Old 09-06-2024, 11:53 AM
Alright, you all made me paranoid, so I went and removed the panel to take pictures! The slam panel is the radiator cover panel:

And underneath the front lip of the slam panel is where the rubber pads are on my car so the metal lip of the panel doesn't rub into the grille:

Old 09-06-2024, 12:24 PM
ram_g
Thanks, I need to take a look!

How come many of your bolt heads on top of the slam panel look smooth too? Do you have little covers on those? Mine all look like the bolt heads you have on the sides (with the Torx part exposed).

Old 09-06-2024, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by ram_g
Thanks, I need to take a look!

How come many of your bolt heads on top of the slam panel look smooth too? Do you have little covers on those? Mine all look like the bolt heads you have on the sides (with the Torx part exposed).

Good observation!

There used to be some of the torx bolt heads covered, and I figure the service guy was just not replacing them as I had fewer and fewer over time.

The parts catalog seems to indicate that each bolt head should be covered, seen by part A & J on the diagram:

Aston Martin lists the part as "CD33-A15K610-AA Torx Cap, TX30, OD 16.2mm" , and they sell for $0.50ea at your favorite online car part seller.

I looked into it, and it looks like there's only 1 company I can find that makes them. They are in France and sell through eBay USA.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/124490902174?var=425361765503

By the above spec, they are Black, T30, 1", and a perfect fit. Bought a bag of 20

Old 09-06-2024, 10:37 PM
EJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UltraMarine
Alright, you all made me paranoid, so I went and removed the panel to take pictures! The slam panel is the radiator cover panel:

And underneath the front lip of the slam panel is where the rubber pads are on my car so the metal lip of the panel doesn't rub into the grille:

I never noticed those rubber pads, I'll have to take a look now