Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

New owner of 2012 Vantage S Roadster - couple questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2024, 01:15 PM
tpetty is infamous around these parts
New owner of 2012 Vantage S Roadster - couple questions

I've been looking for one of these for a year or so, and took delivery a few days ago. Put about 120 miles on it in the last two days, it's awesome!

I do have a couple questions:

1. When at a stop light, is it OK to leave it in first gear, with foot on the brake - or am I supposed to shift to neutral? This is one concept of the "manual without a foot clutch" that I'm not sure about.
2. The always popular fuse 15/22 issue. It seems the fuse for the exhaust changed right around my year car, from 22 to 15. MOST people seem to claim it was 15 in 2012. However, the manual with the car says it is 22. the owner before me had installed a bypass remote control at fuse 22 - but it didn't seem to make any difference when I pushed the remote button. So I removed the remote at 22 fuse position AND removed fuse 15 - and that definitely did the trick. So now I have no fuses in 15 OR 22. It may be no coincidence that just 5 miles driving after doing this led to the seemingly common "emission service required" dash warning. Not sure if that's really related or not. As mentioned, my manual says fuse 22 is for the exhaust bypass valve, and that fuse 15 is "not available" (but has a 5amp fuse). I think in reality, it's fuse 15 for me - but then what does fuse 22 do? Any relation with any fuses with the emission light (which wasn't on the first 100 miles, before I did this.)

Thanks!

Last edited by tpetty; 09-15-2024 at 01:19 PM. Reason: wrong number mentioned
Old 09-16-2024, 06:14 AM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
Beautiful car love the color. Did you try putting the fuses back in to see if the emissions warning went away? Try putting fuse #22 back in and see if the exhaust is still open. If all else fails you can disconnect and plug the vacuum hoses at the exhaust valves. Enjoy these are great cars.

Old 09-16-2024, 07:22 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Valve controller fuse does not cause an Emission Service Issue. Buy a code scanner and reset it. If it keeps happening then dig deeper.

I think you'll have to drive to determine if the valve is working or not. Idle it seems to be always open.

Old Yesterday, 08:12 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Congratulations -- these are wonderful cars! I believe fuse 15 controls the exhaust for your car -- it supposedly changed for MY2011. I assume they just didn't update the owner's manual. The owner's manual for my 2015 V12VS discusses Sportshift II (which you have), even though my car has Sportshift III... About the gearbox, my understanding is that the clutch is disengaged at idle whether it's in neutral or in 1st gear, so leaving it in 1st or N shouldn't make any difference to clutch life, throwout bearing wear or anything else. I've been leaving mine in 1st, unless I expect to be sitting there longer than for a typical traffic light.

Old Yesterday, 08:37 PM
tpetty is infamous around these parts
Thanks speedraser, I've enjoyed your involvement and knowledge on BaT with these cars for the last year, although I didn't end up getting this car via that site.

Does fuse 22 actually have a purpose on these cars? Seems strange to put a fuse in that isn't doing anything.

Last edited by tpetty; Yesterday at 08:39 PM.