Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

2013 Vantage 4.7L Hydro-locked

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Today | 09:59 AM
|
Jet61
Unhappy 2013 Vantage 4.7L Hydro-locked

I am very new here and am looking for some help. I have a 2013 Aston Martin Vantage V8 4.7L with 30k miles on it that is hydro-locked. It happened while driving in Huracane Milton. I wasn't going more than 5mph when I hit a puddle outside of my driveway. The car stalled and would not crank. It was towed to the dealer who called the hydro-lock and said it had to have a new motor. Called the insurance company and they want to right the car off. The only problem is they are giving me nothing for the car, $15,000.00.

As soon as I get the car home I will take out all the plugs, put in my boroscope, and have a look at each cylinder. I am trying to find the parts I might need if the worst-case scenario plays out and that is a busted rod and a hole in the block. If it's a bent rod but the block is good I can rebuild it, but need to find someone who knows this motor to rebuild it. So I am keeping the car and looking for a used motor, short block, or any other suggestions you all might have out there if this motor is indeed toast. The car is in Florida 1 hour north of Tampa.
I want the thank you all in advance for any help you can provide.

Old Today | 10:06 AM
BWings has a brilliant futureBWings has a brilliant futureBWings has a brilliant futureBWings has a brilliant futureBWings has a brilliant futureBWings has a brilliant futureBWings has a brilliant futureBWings has a brilliant futureBWings has a brilliant futureBWings has a brilliant futureBWings has a brilliant future
Hi,

Sorry to hear about this.

On a hydrolock, usually it's a connecting rod(s) that goes and/or crankshaft, so you might not see much with a borescope.

Hope you have good luck with it if you're trying to fix it back. Hope you stay here with updates. Would like to see how it goes for you.

All the best!!

Old Today | 10:16 AM
GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !
Your insurance is lowballing you. There are 27 2012-2015 Vantage on autotrader nationwide ranging from $40-85K. The majority are in the $50-60k range. You don't have to take their first offer. Make sure they know what you have and what it's worth and tell them to try again.

Old Today | 11:00 AM
|
Jet61
The best case would be only a rod or 3. I think I can get rods for not too bad of a price. But if it punched the block, well then that is a different story. As I get into this I will post some pic.

Old Today | 11:02 AM
|
Jet61
Yes, I know what the car is worth and it is 2.5 times what they are offering. I am hoping I can fix the car and in the end, get the insurance company to pay the bill. We will see how it goes.

Old Today | 11:11 AM
|
Jet61
Originally Posted by BWings
Hi,

Sorry to hear about this.

On a hydrolock, usually it's a connecting rod(s) that goes and/or crankshaft, so you might not see much with a borescope.

Hope you have good luck with it if you're trying to fix it back. Hope you stay here with updates. Would like to see how it goes for you.

All the best!!

The best case would be only a rod or 3. I think I can get rods for not too bad of a price. But if it punched the block, well then that is a different story. As I get into this I will post some pic.

Old Today | 11:12 AM
|
Jet61
Originally Posted by GA_DB9
Your insurance is lowballing you. There are 27 2012-2015 Vantage on autotrader nationwide ranging from $40-85K. The majority are in the $50-60k range. You don't have to take their first offer. Make sure they know what you have and what it's worth and tell them to try again.
Yes, I know what the car is worth and it is 2.5 times what they are offering. I am hoping I can fix the car and in the end, get the insurance company to pay the bill. We will see how it goes.

Old Today | 12:39 PM
SloMoShun is infamous around these partsSloMoShun is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Jet61
what state do you live in? Your profile says CA but that doesn’t jibe with your post. The reason I ask is your state likely has insurance regulations instructing ins companies how they must value a car. Usually, they have to come up with some comps and include all taxes and fees associated with the purchase. They can’t just lowball you and negotiate like they’re a prospective marketplace purchaser responding to a Craigslist ad. You’re welcome to try and fix it, but I’d just let them pay fair market value (plus taxes and fees), let them take it as salvage, and find another Aston Martin.
i assume you had comprehensive coverage and coverage for this accident is not in question.

Old Today | 01:34 PM
DesertRat is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Jet61
I am very new here and am looking for some help. I have a 2013 Aston Martin Vantage V8 4.7L with 30k miles on it that is hydro-locked. It happened while driving in Huracane Milton. I wasn't going more than 5mph when I hit a puddle outside of my driveway. The car stalled and would not crank. It was towed to the dealer who called the hydro-lock and said it had to have a new motor. Called the insurance company and they want to right the car off. The only problem is they are giving me nothing for the car, $15,000.00.

As soon as I get the car home I will take out all the plugs, put in my boroscope, and have a look at each cylinder. I am trying to find the parts I might need if the worst-case scenario plays out and that is a busted rod and a hole in the block. If it's a bent rod but the block is good I can rebuild it, but need to find someone who knows this motor to rebuild it. So I am keeping the car and looking for a used motor, short block, or any other suggestions you all might have out there if this motor is indeed toast. The car is in Florida 1 hour north of Tampa.
I want the thank you all in advance for any help you can provide.

Hey Jet61. Wow. Serious bummer. I would suggest checking in with Rich Seidlitz at Redpants.lol. I think he's not far from you in FL. He's a wealth of information DYI How-to. A great resource for education as well as parts, etc. I highly recommend him. He has helped me tremendously through the years with my '10 V8V. Good luck to you!

Old Today | 01:38 PM
|
Jet61
Originally Posted by SloMoShun
what state do you live in? Your profile says CA but that doesn’t jibe with your post. The reason I ask is your state likely has insurance regulations instructing ins companies how they must value a car. Usually, they have to come up with some comps and include all taxes and fees associated with the purchase. They can’t just lowball you and negotiate like they’re a prospective marketplace purchaser responding to a Craigslist ad. You’re welcome to try and fix it, but I’d just let them pay fair market value (plus taxes and fees), let them take it as salvage, and find another Aston Martin.
i assume you had comprehensive coverage and coverage for this accident is not in question.
So here is what I think is my problem, I live in Canada for 6 months and Florida for the other 6. I think they feel they can beet on me because I am Canadian. Anyway, I will find the parts and I will fix the car come hell or high water, no pun intended here.
So if anyone knows where I can find what I need I would really appreciate the help.