Audi S4, S6, RS4, RS6, R8 etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

A3 S-line

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 09:56 PM
HUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud of
A3 S-line

Is there room on this forum for a lowly A3?

I'll be taking delivery of an A3 3.2 S-line with S-tronic (DSG) in a couple of weeks. This will be my first Audi so I need some answers to several questions. I'm hoping some of you long time Audi owners will be able to help.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:48 PM
Ray
Former Vendor
Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !
posts your questions, I will see if I can help!

Old 10-11-2007, 10:59 PM
Former Vendor
KevinS4 is a splendid one to beholdKevinS4 is a splendid one to beholdKevinS4 is a splendid one to beholdKevinS4 is a splendid one to beholdKevinS4 is a splendid one to beholdKevinS4 is a splendid one to beholdKevinS4 is a splendid one to behold
I don't have an A3 but have an Audi and also a friend of mine has one, might be able to help also

Old 10-12-2007, 12:00 AM
AudiRS is infamous around these parts
you'll love the DSG!
BEST GEARBOX EVER IMO

Old 10-12-2007, 08:28 AM
Banned
El-Loco is infamous around these parts
Very nice little rocket.

How did you spec it? Colors?

edit: do you have the S3 in the USA?

Last edited by El-Loco; 10-12-2007 at 08:31 AM.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:03 PM
HUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud of
Thanks guys for your responses. I have a couple of questions. Is there any kind of a kit that would let me add Homelink (garage door opener) to the car? All other Audi models offer Homelink as an option, but not for the A3. What does Audi mean by "DOHC spark ignition"? I guess DOHC = double overhead cam, but "spark ignition"? Is there any other kind in a gas engine?

When I toured the Audi factory in Ingolestat I saw them making the A3 coupe and fell in love with the car. When I got home, I immediately went to the dealer to order one. But, they told me they won't import the coupe, because it would compete with the TT coupe. So I settled for the four door hatch, which as it turns out better suits my purposes as a daily driver.

I wanted AWD and the DSG tranny (had a BMW with SMG, which I thought was great). This led me to the A3 3.2 S line. So I ordered a ice silver with black interior 3.2 S line. It will have the following options: cold weather package, open sky system, Bi-xenon headlights, rear side air bags, navigation, iPod adapter, heated front seats, premium Vienna leather seating, and Bluetooth interface. I didn't opt for the window blinds (it rains to much in Seattle to make those necessary) or the 18" wheels as I can add those later. The dealer is adding the front piece in the grille without the license plate indentation, which will be painted in the body color. I'll add a clear bra on the front and have the drug dealer window tint applied.

I just got a call from my sales person that the car is here and will be ready for pick up today. But I'll probably pick it up on Tuesday, since I'll have go out in the backyard dig around for my coffee can of money.

Once I get the car I'm sure I'll have more questions, and I hope you guys can help me out.

Thanks,

Larry

Last edited by HUMMM 3; 10-12-2007 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Puncuation
Old 10-12-2007, 02:20 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by HUMMM 3
Is there any kind of a kit that would let me add Homelink (garage door opener) to the car?
Strange. Here in Holland it is a normal option just like with the other Audis. Check your dealer.

What does Audi mean by "DOHC spark ignition"? I guess DOHC = double overhead cam, but "spark ignition"? Is there any other kind in a gas engine?
If the V6 had FSI, it would have made any sense. Now it does not. It is some technical talk, to make it a bit more understandable for the non-techs.

When I toured the Audi factory in Ingolestat I saw them making the A3 coupe and fell in love with the car. When I got home, I immediately went to the dealer to order one. But, they told me they won't import the coupe, because it would compete with the TT coupe. So I settled for the four door hatch, which as it turns out better suits my purposes as a daily driver.
Nice, the Sportback. The A3 3door and the TT are in whole different leagues, absolutely not comparable. Ah well, it's US marketing.

I wanted AWD and the DSG tranny (had a BMW with SMG, which I thought was great). This led me to the A3 3.2 S line. So I ordered a ice silver with black interior 3.2 S line. It will have the following options: cold weather package, open sky system, Bi-xenon headlights, rear side air bags, navigation, iPod adapter, heated front seats, premium Vienna leather seating, and Bluetooth interface. I didn't opt for the window blinds (it rains to much in Seattle to make those necessary) or the 18" wheels as I can add those later. The dealer is adding the front piece in the grille without the license plate indentation, which will be painted in the body color. I'll add a clear bra on the front and have the drug dealer window tint applied.

I just got a call from my sales person that the car is here and will be ready for pick up today. But I'll probably pick it up on Tuesday, since I'll have go out in the backyard dig around for my coffee can of money.

Once I get the car I'm sure I'll have more questions, and I hope you guys can help me out.

Thanks,

Larry
Nice car!

When you have both the S line (do you have interior + exterior? ) and the Open Sky System, the roof spoiler will be painted black. I saw that once on a Ibis White A3 Sportback and it gives the car a nice black strip from the windshield all the way to the rear window. I hope you get that automatically.

Pics when you have it!

Old 10-13-2007, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by El-Loco
Strange. Here in Holland it is a normal option just like with the other Audis. Check your dealer.

If the V6 had FSI, it would have made any sense. Now it does not. It is some technical talk, to make it a bit more understandable for the non-techs.

Nice, the Sportback. The A3 3door and the TT are in whole different leagues, absolutely not comparable. Ah well, it's US marketing.

Nice car!

When you have both the S line (do you have interior + exterior? ) and the Open Sky System, the roof spoiler will be painted black. I saw that once on a Ibis White A3 Sportback and it gives the car a nice black strip from the windshield all the way to the rear window. I hope you get that automatically.

Pics when you have it!
Got the car today, pictures will have to come later. This car is WAY MORE than I ever expected. It's a real luxo-box. The navigation is a lot better than the Porsche turbo. The radio/iPod unit is light years ahead of the Porsche as well. The handling seems to be very good, albeit I've only driven it 25 miles. The S-tronic (DSG) transmission is hands down the best I've driven. While the power can't begin to compare to the Porsche turbo, it seems to be more than adequate for "normal driving". My initial reaction is: take the adaptive seats out of the turbo and I'd have a real sweet car. That's not to say the A3 seats are uncomfortable. They just don't have the side bolster support the Porsche seats have and that is needed for cornering during "spirited driving".

And yes, it has the black top from the windshield all the way back to the rear spoiler.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:41 AM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
I'll be taking pictures of Larry's new A3 and posting them on here for him. I've also had the opportunity to sample his car too. He's right, the DSG is definitely light years ahead of the SMG2 in his old M3. I almost found myself heading straight to the dealership to get one for myself.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:50 AM
sanjay is a jewel in the roughsanjay is a jewel in the roughsanjay is a jewel in the rough
we JUST got our used a3 and honestly...we love it (it's the wifes car)

i think it's the perfect car

pm me if you have any questions or post in this thread

our a3 which is the exact model as you has homelink -- but if it doesn't (like my a4) you can buy a visor from another audi which fits ($500 at dealer....$50 at wreckers) - all the essentials are right in the visor

Old 10-22-2007, 05:21 PM
Sanjay, Great looking car. I still can't believe this car! I guess Homelink is available in Canada and Europe, and probably even in Afghanistan, but not here in Seattle for some reason. I'll talk to my dealers' parts department to see if the A4 Homelink system is interchangeable.

When you see the pictures of my car (coming soon I hope) you'll see I had the charcoal gray bar in the center of the grille painted with the body color. I'll be getting the V-1 radar detector hard wired next week. The clear bra (Venture Shield) is being installed tomorrow. Next spring I'll probably get 18" wheels with summer tires.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:09 PM
sanjay is a jewel in the roughsanjay is a jewel in the roughsanjay is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by HUMMM 3
Sanjay, Great looking car. I still can't believe this car! I guess Homelink is available in Canada and Europe, and probably even in Afghanistan, but not here in Seattle for some reason. I'll talk to my dealers' parts department to see if the A4 Homelink system is interchangeable.

When you see the pictures of my car (coming soon I hope) you'll see I had the charcoal gray bar in the center of the grille painted with the body color. I'll be getting the V-1 radar detector hard wired next week. The clear bra (Venture Shield) is being installed tomorrow. Next spring I'll probably get 18" wheels with summer tires.
my car was purchased in california -- so the states DOES get homelink. Maybe it was discontinued for 2008?

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec169.shtml - a good read for you.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:29 PM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
sanjay,

I found that very same site for Larry (HUMMM 3) but I'm not sure if that's something he'd want to do. I think that going with the sunvisors from the A4 with the homelink remote already built in would be a better solution. I know because that's what I'd want to do. I have no idea why they don't offer homelink in US bound A3's. Maybe trying to cut costs somewhere?

Old 10-23-2007, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by sanjay
my car was purchased in california -- so the states DOES get homelink. Maybe it was discontinued for 2008?

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec169.shtml - a good read for you.
Checked with the dealer today. Homelink sunvisors are available here, but only in beige or gray. Since my car is in the shop, I'm not sure what color mine are, but things are looking up. Strange that Audi doesn't list Homelink in the A3 catalog as an option, stranger still that the dealer is unaware of the visor availability.

I was quoted $275 for a sunvisor with Homelink. I'll have to think on that for awhile.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:21 AM
Banned
Still waiting for the pics...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: A3 S-line