Audi S4, S6, RS4, RS6, R8 etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Test Drove an S5 today...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 08:30 PM
slicer is a splendid one to beholdslicer is a splendid one to beholdslicer is a splendid one to beholdslicer is a splendid one to beholdslicer is a splendid one to beholdslicer is a splendid one to beholdslicer is a splendid one to behold
Yes it is too bad that the lease numbers are not better. I am not surprised. Audi is taking advantage of the excitement of a new car. Hopefully they will make the leases more attractive as the hype wears off.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:34 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Ill tell you what...I was SO AMAZINGLY impressed with the car...I already knew the car wasnt exactly the pinnacle of straight line peformance so that didnt phase me. The car is amazingly easy to drive fast and FAR, FAR more communicative than the older weight bias configuration...yes it "understeers" but damn it, my e46 m3 understeered when stock and arguably more due to the lack of drive going to the front wheels...I was REALLY able to get into the car and the smoothness of the car is just unreal...there is plenty of torque coming from that engine and I CANT BELIEVE how that thing sounds...its unreal from a stock car. The sound system and interior are seriously WORLD CLASS and I think this car is a definite winner...a shame about the price though...this car at 55 with the options would have been damn near spot on perfect for a DD or classy coupe...

Old 10-28-2007, 10:43 PM
TonnyG is infamous around these parts
I drove a S5 earlier this week and I must say I'm highly impressed, You guys that think it is underpowered what do you compare with. I have an 05 GTO (about 425 horse 6,0L V8) now and I have had a couple of Vettes before that.
Those are better bang for the buck then the S5 but what else is there for $50-60K that is anywhere close to this car
overall. I must say it is the best car I have ever driven. I will order one pretty soon.

Tonny

Old 10-28-2007, 10:47 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by TonnyG
I drove a S5 earlier this week and I must say I'm highly impressed, You guys that think it is underpowered what do you compare with. I have an 05 GTO (about 425 horse 6,0L V8) now and I have had a couple of Vettes before that.
Those are better bang for the buck then the S5 but what else is there for $50-60K that is anywhere close to this car
overall. I must say it is the best car I have ever driven. I will order one pretty soon.

Tonny
WORD UP...this thing is the definition of a "smooth operator"...

Old 10-29-2007, 01:53 AM
996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about
[edited_ ]

Last edited by 996TTDave; 11-06-2008 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:15 AM
Kingofcars is infamous around these parts
So a guy at my gym pulls up today with a new S5. He previously had an 05 E55.
Based on what I read here, I asked him if it was disapointing power wise compared to the MB.

He said the car was actually faster.

My guess is the car feels more connected as I dont believe, spec wise, it actually is faster.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by 996TTDave
wow cool it down there superaudifan

if you had read my initial driving review it would say that maybe because im used to the 55 engine that it may have been part of the reason i felt the car was underpowered...

but i did love the car, it was a very impressive car - BUT it did not provide the oomph of a fast car and give any sort of an adrenaline rush when stepping on it, it just felt weak, and numbers say about 5 seconds and to be honest it didnt feel like it, but it was very smooth and this could be why it did not feel that fast, im used to a burst of speed, this was a smooth linear motion of speed... different, the RS5 is what i would wait for if i were to purchase this car, but with audi depreciation i would wait a year and buy a used one...

true, there is no "rush", but when things like TTs, GT2s and AMGs exist, why should audi have to match them for 55-60k?

Old 10-29-2007, 10:13 AM
.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold
the car definetly is awesome. the handling is superb! it wasn't as fast as I thought it would be but the roar of the engine cannot be beat!

Old 10-29-2007, 03:55 PM
996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about
[edited_ ]

Last edited by 996TTDave; 11-06-2008 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by 996TTDave
wow... umm dont even know what to say to it, even if he had the previous E55 without the blower his new S5 would be slower... no way could his new S5 be faster

but it undoubtedly is an awesome car

well the new C63 is 60k, the new M3 is around 55-60k too and those are monster performers in comparison to the S5

the new C63 AMG (@ 60k) does 60 in 3.9, and the quarter in 12.3 @ 116... that is pretty supercar'ish performance... bone stock... gotta be a rush
This M will be over 60 for sure...as will the c63...Plus, the interiors/sound dynamics of those dont even TOUCH the lowest level of the S5...I think Audi did a STELLAR job of picking only the fights they could WIN...the performance wars will go on forever...but, you cant improve an interior without BIG money...

Im not saying the S5 isnt a performance drag compared to the bmw and merc...but I think Audi picked thier fight in other ways...plus, if you want raw performance...well, get a 996tt as they are routinely sub 60 now...

Old 10-29-2007, 05:12 PM
996CABOVA is a jewel in the rough996CABOVA is a jewel in the rough996CABOVA is a jewel in the rough
I just got back from another Audi Dealership and they had there Demo outside. It was dusk and they must have just cleaned the car WOW the last one I test drove and saw was FILTHY and it was Meateor Grey just like this one... the dirty one I was like ehhh dont like that color Gray, but what a difference a clean car makes haha this thing was GORGEOUS man what a car. Now the bad news. The other dealer quoted me 988 a month 36 months 10k a year w 2900 out of pocket. This one the guy says 3k out of pocket he could get me into one for 1100 a month wo taxes HAHA AUDI IS ON CRACK if this car was at 800 a month where it should i would have one by now. I thought it was April Fools when that guy came out w that quote

Old 11-08-2007, 04:47 PM
Philawsopher993 is infamous around these parts
A buddy of mine just test drove the demo S5 over at Santa Monica and he was pretty disappointed. He said even though he knew it was a fast car, he just couldn't feel it.

Other than that, it is still a stunning car imo. Just a little too pricey

-Ryan

Old 11-08-2007, 05:54 PM
Fantasma Rosso is infamous around these parts
Please forgive me if im wrong but why am i getting the feeling that this car is going to be like Audis version of the E46 M3... "Not really a drag car but has got impressive power" " Great muscular looks".... "Handles like its on rails"... Sound familair to anyone?

Old 11-08-2007, 08:51 PM
Salespunk is infamous around these parts
For everyone here that has not owned Audi/VW cars before. They build the engines VERY tight. The motors will loosen up considerably after 4K miles.

That being said, I drove one this week and thought it was beautiful. Definitely could have used another 30 HP though. It did not feel as strong as my previous B6 S4.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:18 AM
NAPO is a splendid one to beholdNAPO is a splendid one to beholdNAPO is a splendid one to beholdNAPO is a splendid one to beholdNAPO is a splendid one to beholdNAPO is a splendid one to behold
I think the S5 is a gorgeous looking car, with a stunning interior. But... I drove one a couple weeks ago and I was very disappointed. I know it's not suppose to be a super fast car, but it doesn't feel like there is any power at all. I was driving it aggressively and it felt like I was driving a bulky sedan. People say it handles good, and yea it's a heavy AWD car, so it obviously sticks to the road, but there is no excitement or feeling in driving this car. I was in love with the S5 prior to driving it, but after my test drive I came to the conclusion that it just doesn't do it for me. I think driving a sports car should be an exciting experience that gets your blood pressure up and your heart beating faster... This car got me wondering where the 354hp was going and how much power it would take to make it feel fast. It's a very smooth car, but it's boring to drive. I still think it's a great car, but driving it just doesn't appeal to my senses or give me the satisfaction I want out of a sports car.

Last edited by NAPO; 11-09-2007 at 01:28 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Test Drove an S5 today...