Audi S4, S6, RS4, RS6, R8 etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Is it just me, or is the RS4 WAAAAAY overpriced?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 11:16 PM
Banned
GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !
The RS4 has lost its edge. The RS4 no longer dominates in this class as a 4.2 L V-8 w/ 420 bhp. I have one , it's beautiful but it no longer dominates. The E46 M3's w/ Active Autowerke SC totally kills the RS4.

The RS4 has to be dumped because there are no aftermarket products to embelish the product. Audi is killing the RS4 by their own admission.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:52 PM
rs4fast is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by GT3Ranger
The RS4 has lost its edge. The RS4 no longer dominates in this class as a 4.2 L V-8 w/ 420 bhp. I have one , it's beautiful but it no longer dominates. The E46 M3's w/ Active Autowerke SC totally kills the RS4.

The RS4 has to be dumped because there are no aftermarket products to embelish the product. Audi is killing the RS4 by their own admission.
Sure, an AA E46 M3 will kill the RS4, but isnt that comparing apples to oranges? I think Audi did a great job with the RS4, and the one advantage it has over most of its "rivals" is exclusivity

Old 12-30-2007, 02:08 PM
mose55 is infamous around these parts
Value is really in eyes of the beholder. Even tho the C55/C63 and M3 compete in the same class, the cars have a different personality that will appeal to different segments of the market. The exclusivity comment is the reason for the premium...RS4 production does not benefit from economies of scale...not sure how many M3 or C63 will be made but will be many more than RS4. Think back to the early AMG cars (e.g. E500 Hammer) when they were produced in low numbers...those were sold at a pretty high premium (higher than now).

I just picked up an 08 RS4 so I am admittedly biased ...for me, the 4wd, interior fit and finish, seats, understated exterior design (I don't want to be noticed...if I did, I would drive the turbo) were the deciding factors. Plus, the dealer gave me a pretty decent deal since it was year end. (sold my E55 for it)

Peace.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:41 PM
wilfred is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mose55
... Plus, the dealer gave me a pretty decent deal since it was year end. (sold my E55 for it)

Peace.
Hmm... so they are finally dealing on the RS4... Back when I was looking, it was hot and all the dealers wanted over MSRP or sell me MSRP and give $5k-$10k below wholesale on my trade

Going back to the OP, you really have to drive one to appreciate it. Comparing it to the old C55 or old M3, it really is a different kind of car.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:07 PM
Banned
yellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really nice
are you saying the new M3 is only $63k?

Originally Posted by trojanman
I've seen several of these babies lurking around town and I love the way they look and sound. I would entertain owning one for my DD, but I can't justify the extreme price tag.

The outgoing C55 is arguably as good or better for at least $10K less money. The incoming C63 is definitely better and it's at least $3k less money.

The incoming M3 is also arguably as good or better and it is also at least $3K less money.

How can Audi justify the huge price premium given it's "Bastard German Stepchild" status here in the states?

Old 01-01-2008, 04:45 PM
Welcome to the OC, bitch!
trojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant future
Yellow - the price I quoted on the M3 is based on figures from the magazines (road/track or motortrend).

Ranger - Not to get off topic here but you said your M5 would smoke any AMG. I understood the E55 was comparable to, if not better performing than the M5.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:24 AM
Banned
GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !
Hey trojanman, my E60 M5 as presently modded has dyno'ed 581 rwhp (709 bhp). The car runs strong and takes care of business out there.
Specifically planned runs against modded Z06's running 60 to 190 mph I've put 4 car lenghts on them.
I'm waiting for the head work, valves and cams to be done. All normally aspirated power.

GT3Ranger

Old 01-04-2008, 06:59 PM
dns
Awaiting Email Confirmation
dns is infamous around these parts
Good thing this topic has come up...I have been confused as hell with RS4 pricing, and even more perplexed with the fact that there are people willing to pay that much dough for a 4-door car with a big *** V8 stuffed under there.

It's an amazing car in many ways, with (IMO) one of the finest interior as always. So no argument here.

However, the price point for getting into an RS4? Come on now....

Old 01-05-2008, 12:34 PM
PCH
PCH is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by soon2befast4drs
RS4 is a limited run car just like the rs6 was.
Not quite.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:47 PM
cmathis is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up

I'm also a NASA instructor and overall twisty junkie. I have a dedicated 550HP 2001 Mustang Cobra (all naturally aspirated), and while I see your point, I bought this car (RS4) to be "practical". Have a 3 year old, and a 1 month old. The Cobra is a trailer queen, and definitely not "practical" with so much power/suspension mods.

My choice was the new M3 or the RS4....I don't care for the new 3 series body and lack of 4 doors, so I went with the RS4. The Cobra satisfies my weekend urges on the road course, while my RS keeps me happy through the work week. I think the car is worth every penny, considering it's nearly 3 years old and is able to "keep up" with the competition. It was the "bar" that the other manufacturers had to rise to in the past 24 months. To me, Audi came in, set the bar, and are getting out to get prepared to raise that bar again in a year or 2. Audi had great timing in my opinion (others could argue). The car is only underpowered because it took 2 years for the others to catch up...mainly BMW with the M3. They went straight for the RS4's jugular with the new M3. They had no choice but to catch up.

Craig

Originally Posted by GT3Ranger
Hey trojanman I road raced for many years but the "straight line" stuff you say is just for fun. The 1/4 mile runs are good to check results of ones mods.
I do not need an AMG. My M5 takes care of business against any AMG.

JZRS4 called me a dumb 20 year old who doesn't know how to take care of nice cars for modding. He's not for it and I love to mod so leave it at that.
He tells me to buy a more expensive car, well look at my stable.

It is too bad the RS4 will be axed by Audi but the car is under powered against its competition, at least its delivery of the power. The competition being the new M3 and C63, also modded 335's.

Cheers,
GT3Ranger

Old 01-06-2008, 03:35 AM
wilfred is infamous around these parts
I have driven the RS4 numerous times and certainly appreciate its power, build quality, and smooth ride. If it wasn't for the terrible experiences I had with my local dealers while shopping one, there would be one in my garage now.

I think GT3Ranger is not happy with his RS4 is because he is obviously into modding his rides seriously. And for whatever reason, the aftermarket support for the RS4 has not be satisfactory for him? There are obviously more support for the higher volume production vehicles like M3 or M5...

Old 01-06-2008, 03:38 AM
imolazhp_ci is a glorious beacon of lightimolazhp_ci is a glorious beacon of lightimolazhp_ci is a glorious beacon of lightimolazhp_ci is a glorious beacon of lightimolazhp_ci is a glorious beacon of light
my friend has one, i am entirely unimpressed. it's not a bad car by any means, overall it's a great package. the problem lies in that there is nothing it does exceptionally better than any car in its competition... i think at $65 OTD for one fully loaded, it would be a great car... but at $73k before TTL? absolutely not.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:42 AM
Golfster is infamous around these parts
Audi's sales numbers are indeed growing, but they are resorting to "fleet tactics" as one means to do so. My company negotiated a deal with Audi and now it is the standard company car for sale reps (A4 Q), replacing the Impala and Taurus. Higher level reps and managers get better optioned A4's or A6's.

I've owned a few Audi's over the years and have enjoyed them all, but I do think boosting numbers in this manner kind of cheapens the brand a bit. It certainly shows in resale value.