Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

The Multi Media Interface (MMI)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 06:18 AM
wheels is infamous around these parts
The Multi Media Interface (MMI)

Does anyone know if an '06 S4 has MMI. I want to buy an iPod interface for my wife's S4? It seems there is a version for cars with MMI and cars without MMI. Her car has the factory Nav system if that helps. A friend just picked up his S5 and it has the factory iPod interface. Sweet setup!
Thanks,
Len

Old 01-31-2008, 06:36 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
Tommy6030 is infamous around these parts
No S4's come with MMI. Only the A8, A6, and Q7 have it. You can get the Nav+ system in the S4's which is basically the same system, just a different format.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:50 AM
Thanks, Tommy6030

I found two listed on http://www.madaudi.com/ one is $139.47 (Standard Vehicles) the other is $289.47 (Vehicles with MMI)
So are you saying I would purchase the (Standard Vehicle) version?
Thanks Again,
Len

Old 01-31-2008, 11:48 AM
alex@wheelexperts is infamous around these parts
i believe you are incorrect bud...

once you start up the A4/S4/RS4, you will tell that the car (with nav - RNS-E) is a MMI Unit and it will show the MMI logo along with the audi logo on the center screen...

hope this helps

Alex

Old 01-31-2008, 12:19 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
Tommy6030 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by RE5PEKT
i believe you are incorrect bud...

once you start up the A4/S4/RS4, you will tell that the car (with nav - RNS-E) is a MMI Unit and it will show the MMI logo along with the audi logo on the center screen...

hope this helps

Alex
MMI and RNS-E are different systems. MMI has the screen built in dash and uses an interface built in the center console.(MMI has multiple components) The Nav+ system(RNS-E) has everything built in. The screens look and function the same, and it may even say MMI at the startup screen, but the systems are run differently. You can look at a window sticker on an RS4/A4 and it will say "Navigation-Plus", and in the same showroom you can look at an A6/Q7 window sticker and it will say "MMI w/ 7inch screen".

Most newer cars that have MMI are compatible for I-Pod integration as long as they have the AMI(Audi music interface). But this isn't an option on current B7 A4/S4's.

However if your car has Nav+, then you have the cd-changer in the glovebox and there is a company called "Dension" that sells an adapter kit to make it work, but it can be a PITA. We installed one on an S4 at my dealer and it worked, but took some getting used to.

Your other option is to remove the factory 6-disc changer and permantly run an I-Pod connection which is also possible. Hope this helps-T

Last edited by Tommy6030; 01-31-2008 at 12:29 PM.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:36 PM
Former Vendor
KevinS4 is a splendid one to beholdKevinS4 is a splendid one to beholdKevinS4 is a splendid one to beholdKevinS4 is a splendid one to beholdKevinS4 is a splendid one to beholdKevinS4 is a splendid one to beholdKevinS4 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Tommy6030
MMI and RNS-E are different systems. MMI has the screen built in dash and uses an interface built in the center console.(MMI has multiple components) The Nav+ system(RNS-E) has everything built in. The screens look and function the same, and it may even say MMI at the startup screen, but the systems are run differently. You can look at a window sticker on an RS4/A4 and it will say "Navigation-Plus", and in the same showroom you can look at an A6/Q7 window sticker and it will say "MMI w/ 7inch screen".

Most newer cars that have MMI are compatible for I-Pod integration as long as they have the AMI(Audi music interface). But this isn't an option on current B7 A4/S4's.

However if your car has Nav+, then you have the cd-changer in the glovebox and there is a company called "Dension" that sells an adapter kit to make it work, but it can be a PITA. We installed one on an S4 at my dealer and it worked, but took some getting used to.

Your other option is to remove the factory 6-disc changer and permantly run an I-Pod connection which is also possible. Hope this helps-T
What he said

Old 01-31-2008, 03:04 PM
WOW, you guys are way more technical than me. I was hoping to get a factory Audi iPOD Interface. I'm not a big fan of aftermarket stuff.
Thanks for all your help though, I guess I will keep looking.
Thanks,
Len