Audi S4, S6, RS4, RS6, R8 etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

RS4 vs IS-F

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 11:17 AM
Nthusiastt is a splendid one to beholdNthusiastt is a splendid one to beholdNthusiastt is a splendid one to beholdNthusiastt is a splendid one to beholdNthusiastt is a splendid one to beholdNthusiastt is a splendid one to beholdNthusiastt is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by C70Pete
on a track the IS-F will beat the RS4 hands down... I can't wait for the comparison between IS-F, M3 and RS4

but the IS-F ain't much to look at... the RS4 is what you want as a daily and occasional track car... especially if your mixing with snow... its got soul!
daily? maybe you need to reconsider the maintanance costs of the two.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:52 AM
Banned
crazy1323 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Nthusiastt
No joke, went to Autozone last night to get some stuff to change the oil in my S4. Oil and filter only was almost $90. 10 Quarts of Castrol Syntec 5-W40 and filter with gaskets.

Also, i have not looked in the engine compartment of the IS-F. But on My S4, and the RS4, all the accessories are mounted on the back of the engine. If a water pump or an alternator goes out, the engine, transmission, and subframe must come out to get to them. As well as the dreaded hydraulic cam chain tensioners.

In the S4, not sure about the RS4, the clutch is the "fuse" of the drivetrain. It is fairly weak in order to protect the transmission and differentions from hard shifts and launches. Changing the clutch on one of these is not a pretty picture and can easily approach $3,500 to $4,000 at a dealership.

This chasis was never made to have a 4.2 V8 in it. Therefore audi made some decision to make it work that make it expensive to maintain.

Disclaimer: I own an 2007 S4, fairly modded though, and not an RS4. However, i feel the driving experience should be similar as handling should be close to the same and the engines make similar torque figures. While stock the RS4 makes 420 HP, my S4 should be making 380-390 Hp and more torque with a revlimiter of about 7,500 to 7,750.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:46 PM
C70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Nthusiastt

you can always buy.... a honda?

Old 03-07-2008, 01:47 PM
C70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by crazy1323
No joke, went to Autozone last night to get some stuff to change the oil in my S4. Oil and filter only was almost $90. 10 Quarts of Castrol Syntec 5-W40 and filter with gaskets.

Also, i have not looked in the engine compartment of the IS-F. But on My S4, and the RS4, all the accessories are mounted on the back of the engine. If a water pump or an alternator goes out, the engine, transmission, and subframe must come out to get to them. As well as the dreaded hydraulic cam chain tensioners.

In the S4, not sure about the RS4, the clutch is the "fuse" of the drivetrain. It is fairly weak in order to protect the transmission and differentions from hard shifts and launches. Changing the clutch on one of these is not a pretty picture and can easily approach $3,500 to $4,000 at a dealership.

This chasis was never made to have a 4.2 V8 in it. Therefore audi made some decision to make it work that make it expensive to maintain.

Disclaimer: I own an 2007 S4, fairly modded though, and not an RS4. However, i feel the driving experience should be similar as handling should be close to the same and the engines make similar torque figures. While stock the RS4 makes 420 HP, my S4 should be making 380-390 Hp and more torque with a revlimiter of about 7,500 to 7,750.
sounds nice! if I bought an S4 or RS4 I'd also drop $$$ for the 7 year 100,000 mile warranty... I hear what your sayin..

what kind of mods do you have and I'm real curious as to your gas mileage?

Old 03-07-2008, 01:49 PM
Nthusiastt is a splendid one to beholdNthusiastt is a splendid one to beholdNthusiastt is a splendid one to beholdNthusiastt is a splendid one to beholdNthusiastt is a splendid one to beholdNthusiastt is a splendid one to beholdNthusiastt is a splendid one to behold
you can always buy.... a honda?
have and did.. owned a modified m3 for a bit, several preludes.. The saddest thing of all is one of my preludes that I turbo'd on a stock block head tranny etc. pretty much all stock was making 411fwhp when I finally sold it.. It was more reliable than my M3 and upkeep cost less. The only downfall was theft.

stupid of me to sell that car.. I haven't stopped kicking myself.. It was so much better than anything I've ever driven since... Of course it did cost me 20k on top of the cost of the car to get it that way

Last edited by Nthusiastt; 03-07-2008 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:55 PM
the BMW's and Audi's scare me without extended warranty.... porsche is in a leage of its own there... can't go wrong with a jap car for reliability... that was the appeal for me with the IS-F... but I don't like the way it looks... probably be a blast to drive though..

Old 03-07-2008, 02:18 PM
RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !
RS4 > IS-F imo

Old 03-07-2008, 02:29 PM
the BMW's and Audi's scare me without extended warranty.... porsche is in a leage of its own there... can't go wrong with a jap car for reliability... that was the appeal for me with the IS-F... but I don't like the way it looks... probably be a blast to drive though..
Pretty much.. The only thing today's audi's and bmw's are good for is a 3 year lease..

I think the Is's look amazing

I know this is an LS but this shows the elegance route taken very well. VIP FTW!

Old 03-07-2008, 02:43 PM
another I really like

Old 03-07-2008, 05:30 PM
Banned
crazy1323 is infamous around these parts
sounds nice! if I bought an S4 or RS4 I'd also drop $$$ for the 7 year 100,000 mile warranty... I hear what your sayin..

what kind of mods do you have and I'm real curious as to your gas mileage?
Mind you I also have a '96 Lexus LX 450 (a 40th Aniversary Edition Land Cruiser) build for hunting and off-roading. It has steel bumpers, winch, roof rack with lights, lift, 35" BFG Mud Terrains, ect. I have beat the crap out of this car and never had a problem other than a bad spark plug.

As far as My S4, it has the following:
Lightweight Wheels (19" OZ Superleggera's, roughly 19lbs a piece)
245/35/19 tires
Milltek Non-resonated Exhaust
APR Downpipes
Revo Technik Software
EVO MS V-Flow intake

Coming soon:
Lightweight battery mounted in trunk
remove spare, jack, and tools
carbon fiber hood, doors, and trunk
Wet nitrous system with custom intake manifold cooling purge system (~50 shot)

Lowered on H&R coilovers also helps reduce drag at higher speeds

The only other mod are the Hotchkis RS4 aggressive sways that help it oversteer under hard throttle a little.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:25 PM
Jay Slay has a spectacular aura aboutJay Slay has a spectacular aura about
ehh dont matter..i like both cars..