Audi S4, S6, RS4, RS6, R8 etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Are Audi's WAY overpriced?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 07:59 AM
torment has much to be proud oftorment has much to be proud oftorment has much to be proud oftorment has much to be proud oftorment has much to be proud oftorment has much to be proud oftorment has much to be proud oftorment has much to be proud oftorment has much to be proud oftorment has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by HRD SEL
I think they are a bit overpriced for what you are actually getting. Two examples:

- MSRP of an Audi S5 vs. MB C63.......Roughly the same, C63 the choice without question

- RS4 Cab with a ~$84k MSRP and limited production. You can pick up one with a couple thousand for mid-high 60s. I really don't think the car is worth $84k new; its far more than its direct competitors.
The Audi is more luxury-sport compared to the MB, much nicer interior than the C63. Trust me, I absolutely love the C63 but the interior is way better.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:57 AM
Pipper6speed is infamous around these parts
I think they are a bit overpriced for what you are actually getting. Two examples:

- MSRP of an Audi S5 vs. MB C63.......Roughly the same, C63 the choice without question

- RS4 Cab with a ~$84k MSRP and limited production. You can pick up one with a couple thousand for mid-high 60s. I really don't think the car is worth $84k new; its far more than its direct competitors.
Yes, but you can pick up an SL AMG half off within a year with a few thousand miles. Someone I know lost $40K in depreciation with 4K miles over about 2 years. New, expensive, mass-produced, time-limited, no wait-time cars are terrible purchases

I wouldn't ever buy either of these brands new. The R8 was the exception for obvious reasons.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:52 AM
s4play has a spectacular aura abouts4play has a spectacular aura abouts4play has a spectacular aura about
I read this topic and had to sit/think a bit since it seem "you always get what you pay for".....

I personally DO NOt think Audi's are overpriced for a few reasons. One point already been brought up is just the simple fact that they are rare cars for the most part. Living in CALI many of us sometimes gets the illusion that everyone drives an AMG, S-line, or BMW M-car.......hahaha
Fact is that for every S8 I see on the road, I'll probably run into 10x that number of AMG or BMW M-cars. So the exclusiveness is definitely worth some $$$.

Depreciation on all high end cars in the first year is pretty bad but I think AMG are the worst of the bunch takings sometimes a ridiculous 30-40% hit in value depending on miles. People are scared to buy these cars for fear of out of warranty repairs perhaps but Audi's in general are pretty good.
A 2007 used RS4 still commands in the $50k range when new is $80k'ish?
On the extreme end, the Audi R8 is virtually un-affected by depreciation for the time being as used ones are still selling way over MSRP on Ebay. And given the OP's original question, the Audi R8 is definitely NOT overpriced in it's category. I cannot think of another exotic with such a bargain value and such good looks!

For an entry level price of $120k range you get a true exotic. No other car is even offered from BMW or Mercedes to match this car so there is no competition. Exotic's from Lambo/Ferrari cannot touch the R8's value which is why I believe Audi's are some of the best value's in today's market.
Both Toyota and Lexus will have supercars out soon but price tages also far exceed the R8 in MSRP further showing the value of this brand.

rk

Old 08-14-2008, 04:08 PM
HRD SEL is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by torment
The Audi is more luxury-sport compared to the MB, much nicer interior than the C63. Trust me, I absolutely love the C63 but the interior is way better.
Good point. Look at the S5 next to it's direct competitor, the 335xi coupe. BMW comes in at least 10k cheaper and I really don't think the interior in the Audi is 10k nicer, right?

Originally Posted by wedouglas
Yes, but you can pick up an SL AMG half off within a year with a few thousand miles. Someone I know lost $40K in depreciation with 4K miles over about 2 years. New, expensive, mass-produced, time-limited, no wait-time cars are terrible purchases

I wouldn't ever buy either of these brands new. The R8 was the exception for obvious reasons.
Yeah, the SL65s shoot hundreds out the tailpipes. Looking at S4 Cabrio values about a year ago, a low mileage one-year old would go pretty close to sticker if I remember correctly. Maybe the depreciation is exclusive to the RS4 cab and A8, but ~$20k in a couple thousand miles (about 20%) is tough to swallow.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:25 PM
switchface is infamous around these parts
I thought the TTS was looking to be expensive when I thought it was going to be 60-70, but the conversion rate wasn't accurate.

As far as the S5 vs C63, you're right there is no comparison...id take the S5!! It really is the complete GT package in my mind. I cant stand the Merc interior...or exterior for that matter, but thats all my opinion.

The one thing I will say thats high about Audi's pricing is the lease/finance rates. I know BMW has an internal financial deal with themselves to subsidize some of their costs, but in my experience Audi's rates are too high. For example, its gonna cost me 1k a month or so to get into an S5 no matter how I arrange it. 1k a month gets me a lot more in another make; I recall another member saying M5s are going for $1200.

How-ev-ah! I still say theyre worth it (despite the fact I cant afford the S5), and a lot has to do with exclusivity. In socal I see a 3 series just about every other car. I see about 10-15 M3s a day for that matter. Audis on the other hand: I see about 1 S4 a week, 1 RS4 a month, ive only seen 1 S5 ever on the road, and have yet to see an r8.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:32 PM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
I would also choose the S5 over a C63. If I wanted a marginally attractive uberfast 4 door with a marginal interior I'd get an Evo and mod it.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:03 AM
torment has much to be proud oftorment has much to be proud oftorment has much to be proud oftorment has much to be proud oftorment has much to be proud oftorment has much to be proud oftorment has much to be proud oftorment has much to be proud oftorment has much to be proud oftorment has much to be proud of
Good point. Look at the S5 next to it's direct competitor, the 335xi coupe. BMW comes in at least 10k cheaper and I really don't think the interior in the Audi is 10k nicer, right?
My best friend has a 335i and I'm not overly impressed with the interior. Exterior is fantastic, motor pulls very well (spools so much faster than my Stage 3 S4), and drives pretty well. However, if you are going to buy an all-wheel drive vehicle, wouldn't you want to buy one from a company thats been using it for over 25 years? I love my quattro S4, I can drive just as hard in the rain and still have a lot of fun. Now I can't go nuts in bad weather (stock I could, but not with 525hp now). My desk sits behind a new Audi S5 so I get to see one every day and I really like what they have done. I had my Audi before I worked for VW/Audi, and I've enjoyed driving what they have to offer.

S5 is pretty expensive for its class but if you are looking for just flat out speed you could pick up the BMW for less. I just like the total package from the new A5/S5 line.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:03 AM
Mr.PS is a splendid one to beholdMr.PS is a splendid one to beholdMr.PS is a splendid one to beholdMr.PS is a splendid one to beholdMr.PS is a splendid one to beholdMr.PS is a splendid one to beholdMr.PS is a splendid one to behold
I too think Audi's are way overpriced. The RS4 especially. Fully loaded it's going for what a few thousand less then their flagship models? It's also dated and much slower then the M3 and C63. Despite what the Audi fanboys will try to push on you todays market is all about the power. Everybody wants the latest, greatest, and fastest - especially in the luxury markets (except a small few - those usually aren't the ones shopping for AMG's, RS's, or M's). The same goes for the S5. Sure it has a nice interior, LED parking lights, and a few other gizmos, but it's performance is comparable to a 335i. It's a very nice car other wise, just overpriced.

Exclusivity? Thats a touchy subject. I don't think Audi's are at all exclusive. They don't appeal to many people. That is not exclusive, that is just a lack of interest. It's not the same as saying a Lambo, Porsche, or Ferrari is exclusive. Everyone wants a Lambo, Porsche,or Ferrari, but 99.9% can't afford one. Audi just doesn't offer enough to warrant as much interest and BMW and Mercedes get. The Audi market is almost a niche market per say. Audi owners are looking for the least amount of bling possible. Their cars are to attract as little attention as possible. All while being decently quick, reliable, and of good quality. I think that sums Audi - low key, decently quick, reliable, of good quality.

This is just a personal opinion, but Audi's are BORING. I've driven every single car in their lineup minus the R8 and I was disappointed with everyone. Underpowered, no driver/road connection, AWD - huge negative. I don't drive in the winter, nor does one really need AWD unless you're pushing insane amounts of power and need the grip; also almost every model in their lineup has the same exact interior. The quality difference is pretty even now days. BMW interiors are better then ever, same goes for Merc. Audi no longer has the tightest fitting most luxury interiors in the industry.

As for depreciation - that's easy. Their aren't very many Audi's out there. I think their production #'s are something like 1/4 that of Merc/BMW per year.

Last edited by Mr.PS; 09-22-2008 at 12:11 AM.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:54 AM
cohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud of
i think the rs4 is overpriced and so does the market--that's why there are $12-15k discounts on new ones now, pushing them down towards $60k where it is a tad cheaper than a new m3. as for the s5, at $60k to me it's about right, a bit cheaper than the m3 but offering a very different package. it is the lone exception to the big discount rule, at least for now.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:54 AM
turbo_freak is infamous around these parts
absolutely not

Old 09-22-2008, 12:48 PM
AussieRS is infamous around these parts
Agreed,
and even if they were, I'd rather pay extra for an Audi then drive a BMW.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:59 PM
StorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cohenfive
i think the rs4 is overpriced and so does the market--that's why there are $12-15k discounts on new ones now
-That has a hell of a lot more to do with the release of the B8 body style than "the market."

Old 09-23-2008, 01:05 AM
996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about
[edited_ ]

Last edited by 996TTDave; 11-05-2008 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:19 AM
Myallroad is infamous around these parts
all in the eye of the beholder. I think you are full of crap saying they are overpriced. but thats my opinion cause i love audis and will not drive anything else. I hate bmw interior and especially their dials. I think MB are sweet but interior is plain in my opinion.

And i think Lexus and Infinity are WAY overpriced. But again my opinion.

There will always be two sides. Who cares!

I rather pay more for a slower audi than a bmw or mb because i THINK audis are better. I love the way they drive and love the awd and i can offroad in mine so that kicks ***!

Old 09-23-2008, 11:10 PM
gsc
gsc has a brilliant futuregsc has a brilliant futuregsc has a brilliant futuregsc has a brilliant futuregsc has a brilliant futuregsc has a brilliant futuregsc has a brilliant futuregsc has a brilliant futuregsc has a brilliant futuregsc has a brilliant futuregsc has a brilliant future
Just went to an Audi dealer here on LI. For the new A4, 2.0T (4 cylinder), they are quoting me $700- $725 on a 3 year lease. What a bunch of BS. I'm desperate for a new DD, but not looking for any Audi's.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Are Audi's WAY overpriced?