Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Opinions on the RS4, need help.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 07:34 PM
Smoke7 is infamous around these partsSmoke7 is infamous around these parts
Opinions on the RS4, need help.

Looking for an 06' RS4... in black or gray only! Im trying to see where it fits in performance wise next to a 335i and a new m3. I havent driven the RS4 yet so I cant really tell if its is just a very quick car or a true high performance car like that of the E92 M3, which I have driven and thinks its a monster. In all honesty I want a quick, reliable and most importantly a well balanced car. I found the new M3 to not be an ideal DD, which is what I need. And the RS4's 4wd is a big plus for me. So RS4 owners, as a DD how do you like it?

Old 09-04-2008, 11:58 PM
michaeldorian is infamous around these partsmichaeldorian is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Smoke7
Looking for an 06' RS4... in black or gray only! Im trying to see where it fits in performance wise next to a 335i and a new m3. I havent driven the RS4 yet so I cant really tell if its is just a very quick car or a true high performance car like that of the E92 M3, which I have driven and thinks its a monster. In all honesty I want a quick, reliable and most importantly a well balanced car. I found the new M3 to not be an ideal DD, which is what I need. And the RS4's 4wd is a big plus for me. So RS4 owners, as a DD how do you like it?
It is a great DD. I was in the same situation as you. The only thing is that I recently moved to Seattle and rowing through the gear in crazy traffic and steep hills is starting to get old.

The car feels a bit heavier and the steering is studier. This is due to the AWD. The fit and finish is top notch. Performance wise it will be very similar to the e92 with a flatter torque curve. (More low-end grunt).

The shifter feels much better then the E92 in my opinion. From what I read the engine is bullet proof.

I like that the E92 is a bit flashier and more aggressive.

"or a true high performance car like that of the E92 M3" - It is every bit a high performance car like the E92. Don't confuse this with the S4. Very different cars.

Good luck with your search.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:02 AM
AussieRS is infamous around these parts
Sorry man,
No 06 RS4s in the US, maybe just 1 actually, but they were made for production in 07 and 08 only.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:06 AM
Originally Posted by RSAudi
Sorry man,
No 06 RS4s in the US, maybe just 1 actually, but they were made for production in 07 and 08 only.
Ah, ok then maybe thats why all my searches have come back showing me 07's. Thanks!

Old 09-05-2008, 08:16 AM
kem
kem is infamous around these parts
Yes, technically there are no '06 RS4's however they went on sale in like May '06 as a'07 model which is pretty early. There are a few very minor differences between the early '06s and the later 07s. But the changes are so small I can't even remember exactly what they are.

I would say it's quite possibly one of the best high-performance DD/practical car if you don't mind a manual transmission.

I take mine camping, skiing, wherever. Pretty large trunk for a "smaller" sedan.

M3's a bit faster but the RS4 is still damn quick.

Last edited by kem; 09-05-2008 at 08:19 AM.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:05 PM
gmansbu is infamous around these parts
The rs4 is a great daily driver. It was a great car for the short time I owned it - great fit & finish and plenty of torque. Its absolutely terrible in the snow with the stock tires though. Be prepared to put on some snow tires if you plan to drive it in the winter.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by gmansbu
The rs4 is a great daily driver. It was a great car for the short time I owned it - great fit & finish and plenty of torque. Its absolutely terrible in the snow with the stock tires though. Be prepared to put on some snow tires if you plan to drive it in the winter.
I would drive it in winter, so blizzaks are a must. BTW im in Bergen County also, Norwood.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:27 PM
ekyub is infamous around these partsekyub is infamous around these parts
Do I see you have an E39 M5? You and I are in the same boat. I prefer the RS4 over the M3. The hulking stance is intoxicating. M3 looks good but not great.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:57 AM
Jorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant future
I would prefer a E90 M3 ( 4dr ) over a RS4 because of Bmw's Free 4year 50,000 mile maintenance. Other than the maintenance, both the RS4 and the E90 M3 are great Daily Driver cars.

and imo.. the 335 is not in the same class as either cars.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:22 PM
AussieRS is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Jorgeassoc
I would prefer a E90 M3 ( 4dr ) over a RS4 because of Bmw's Free 4year 50,000 mile maintenance. Other than the maintenance, both the RS4 and the E90 M3 are great Daily Driver cars.

and imo.. the 335 is not in the same class as either cars.
I feel the M3s are way too common. Everyone has one.

Also, though the S4 is more than the 335, they are competitors. Hopefully the B8 S4 will be faster and a better competitor to the 335 then the B7.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:26 PM
jtrichel is infamous around these parts
Its all about the stick transmission... if you dont mind a manual, there simply is no other car that even comes close as a practical 4- door daily driver with AWD and super car performance. Having driven the new M3, I had a very different impression of it... I thought that it drove (and looked) like a regular 3 series, unless you were wringing it out at 8k rpm... how often are you going to do that on the street? The nice thing is that the RS4 makes great torque, flat, down low...so its fun on the street AND the track. I think that the M3 would be fun on the track, but not the street. I got rid of my 08 RS4 because I couldnt stand the stick in traffic...and that was the ONLY reason I sold it. Frankly, there are days I regret it. I love my RS6 also, but it is a bit of a compromise so that I can have the auto. The RS4 is one of the best cars I have ever owned...

Old 10-12-2008, 12:07 PM
Banned
GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !
The RS4 is a great DD. The handling, feel and acceleration are very rewarding.
The RS4 is a bit heavy. Only 200 lbs lighter than my E60 M5. The AWD is the culprit.
The shifter felt too soft and floppy for my liking but the throws were pretty quick and short.
Performance wise I feel the RS4 falls short against others in its class. The new M3 will beat it as does the MB C63 AMG. The E46 M3's with aftermarket components (SC'er) also would out accelerate me.

If you like to mod, the RS4 was sadly deficient in components to enhance its power. That's a reason why I dumped the car. Now I understand that an affordable SC'er and good software is coming to be a reality.
The RS4 with these components will be awesome and very tough out there, streets or track.

Overall I loved the car, that's why I bought it. The quality plus the fit and finish was perfect. It is a great motor.

Ranger

Old 10-12-2008, 01:22 PM
jtrichel is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by GT3Ranger
The RS4 is a great DD. The handling, feel and acceleration are very rewarding.
The RS4 is a bit heavy. Only 200 lbs lighter than my E60 M5. The AWD is the culprit.
The shifter felt too soft and floppy for my liking but the throws were pretty quick and short.
Performance wise I feel the RS4 falls short against others in its class. The new M3 will beat it as does the MB C63 AMG. The E46 M3's with aftermarket components (SC'er) also would out accelerate me.

If you like to mod, the RS4 was sadly deficient in components to enhance its power. That's a reason why I dumped the car. Now I understand that an affordable SC'er and good software is coming to be a reality.
The RS4 with these components will be awesome and very tough out there, streets or track.

Overall I loved the car, that's why I bought it. The quality plus the fit and finish was perfect. It is a great motor.

Ranger
It's almost 4 yrs older than the cars you menton (C63 AMG/M3)... they are brand new. The competing RS4 for those cars will release for 2011... I suspect it will be very comparable in performance...

Also, in real world city/hwy driving, I think that there is very little difference between the (now) older RS4 and the M3. I drove both the M3 and C63 before deciding on my 08 RS4. I found the M3 just too high wound for the street, and it felt downright anemic in lower revs (less than 300 ft.lbs of torque). I also thought it looked like a base 3-series. The C63 AMG was tempting, but I found it too much for the street. Either traction control interferes constantly or you take it off and run the risk of flying off the road.

Finally, I personally think that the RS4 just has both those cars whipped (as in beaten silly) in the looks department...exterior /interior. Oh yea, and there is Quattro too... plenty of white knuckled M3/C63 drivers as I just blew past stuck to the rainy road...that's kinda of fun.

Comparing to E60 M5 isnt really fair...different car class...would need to look at the new RS6 on that one...

Just my $.02... I'll admit, I am biased and love Audi S/RS as road cars...

Old 10-12-2008, 03:53 PM
MrBucket is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Smoke7
I would drive it in winter, so blizzaks are a must. BTW im in Bergen County also, Norwood.
I'm over in Demarest and have an Imola Yellow RS4. It really is an amazing car for a daily driver, great power, comfortable ride, good looks, and the AWD is just great for our area.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:25 PM
i848 is infamous around these parts
I just returned an 07 S4 as the lease expired this summer. It was great to have as a DD. Id imagine the RS4 would be much more enjoyable with the extra HP

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Opinions on the RS4, need help.