90.38%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

RRS vs RS4/S4

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 06:01 PM
///macculate is infamous around these parts
RRS vs RS4/S4

I'm debating between 2 cars right now and when you hear them, you must think I'm pretty damn crazy for such an easy decision. But, it's not that easy for me.

Audi RS4/S4
vs
Range Rover Sport

Both will be no older than 2007.

I'm concerned about RR's reliability. I don't feel like buying A/S tires for the Audi (but I will go this route if I get it) nor do I want to deal with having 2 sets of wheels (as with my current E46 M3).

I will keep the RR Sport for 2 years MAX ( I live in Omaha, so I have to deal with the crappy weather), but I will end up keeping the Audi longer. RR depreciates like a ton of bricks. Damn, I think I've made my decision just typing this up. Hmmmm, I'll give the RR Sport the first vote to see if it evens out.

So, what's the verdict?

Last edited by ///macculate; 10-10-2008 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:47 PM
BkS5 is infamous around these parts
hehe yep i guess you answered your on question. audi has the best of both worlds, performance and all weather capability with quattro.

Old 10-11-2008, 11:46 AM
Banned
Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !
rs4/s4

Old 10-11-2008, 06:34 PM
StorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond repute
Their incredibly different vehicles. I can't ever see myself debating the two.

If I ever need the hauling capacity of an SUV, I'll buy an RS6 Avant...

Old 10-11-2008, 06:56 PM
bluedevil8995 is infamous around these parts
Having lived in the midwest most of my life, I have faced this decision as well. RS4 is the best of both worlds. You could always buy an old school tahoe/explorer for severe winter days and that ever present road salt. I have a good friend in Iowa who has driven his RS4 year round with no problems at all.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:04 PM
Former Vendor
detailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond repute
rs4 find a set of take offs and get some dedicated snows and you will be in business.

Old 10-11-2008, 11:09 PM
Jorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by detailersdomain
rs4 find a set of take offs and get some dedicated snows and you will be in business.
+1 on that

Old 10-12-2008, 11:41 AM
///macculate is infamous around these parts
Thanks for your replies guys! I currently have an E46 M3 with a dedicated set of winter wheels (WinterSport 3D's) which are awesome in the snow, but I guess I'm just a bit lazy to change wheels every season. I might have to go this route though. Also, does anyone have A/S tires as opposed to having 2 sets of wheels? I know snow tires are no match for A/S tires but I was just curious is this is a viable option that doesn't put too much of a damper on performance and handling. Thanks again guys, happy NFL sunday!

Old 12-29-2008, 01:38 AM
lsbe36 is infamous around these parts
If you buy an 07 or 08 RRS you'll be fine, its just the 06's you have to worry about. I have an 08' and love the damn thing, 4mo now and i still love driving it and i usually get bored fast!

Old 12-29-2008, 09:21 AM
Dr. Ferdinand is infamous around these parts
RS4, no doubt about it. Then again, you are asking advice from a Audi board. I am sure if you put this poll on a RR msg board the response may not be so one-sided...

Old 12-30-2008, 05:08 AM
Redlined has a spectacular aura aboutRedlined has a spectacular aura about
RS4 indeed, but you really need winter tires. On snow days here mine sits in the garage.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by Redlined
RS4 indeed, but you really need winter tires. On snow days here mine sits in the garage.
Indeed, winter tires are essential. Been riding on the Dunlop 3Ds for a couple of weeks now and the RS is like a Polaris!!! So much fun!

Old 12-30-2008, 07:02 PM
Redlined has a spectacular aura aboutRedlined has a spectacular aura about
Ferd, what kind of wheels are now shod with the Dunlops? Did you drop down in size?

Old 12-31-2008, 07:09 AM
andeogroup is infamous around these parts
You probably aren't debating this anymore but I did just get rid of an 07' RR sport and purchased an S4. After 2 years with the RR and a new power steerring rack, windshield wipers NEVER properly oworking, brake shields coming off among many other problems and over a month driving a chrysler rental I am thrilled to be in an Audi. RR is a beautiful truck when it's on the road, which was rare.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by Redlined
Ferd, what kind of wheels are now shod with the Dunlops? Did you drop down in size?
I stayed on stock wheels, except that they are not the Titanium ones, but the 'regular' silver color (Ti was an option on select 08s only). A month before I bought the wheels Audi charged the same for Ti and non-Ti rims ($369), and in late Aug the Ti ones went up to...$550!!!

I actually love the silver ones, for one they are winters so I don't care that much. But even though my mirrors, sidesills and Milltek exhaust are blacked out, the silver still looks god as it matched some of the chrome accents (e.g. emblems, interior cabin, etc.) For $550 I could have gotten any other wheels (e.g. nice HREs), but it is for a winter setup after all...

I am running 255/35/10s Dunlop 3Ds, which in my area is just fine (NorthEast). If I were in the snowbelt then I would have likely dropped to 225/40/18 but I dont really get to drive the RS in such snow conditions. Even with the 19s, it is a Polaris!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: RRS vs RS4/S4