Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

question for Phantom Black owners

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 02:29 PM
PbPedis is infamous around these parts
question for Phantom Black owners

I've never seen this colour but am entertaining it. I'm assuming there are metallic flakes in it, and if so, do they give off a colour? BMW had a metallic black that was bluish in sunlight and looked great. Porsche has Basalt black which looks brownish in sunlight which I'm not fond of. What does Phantom look like? I'm assuming it's no easier to keep clean than straight black.

Any good pics in the sunlight?

Old 04-12-2009, 05:11 PM
BKspeed is infamous around these parts
It's pretty much black...

My RS4 is phantom black -

Color doesn't change much in sunlight; flakes are visible but don't really alter the color. Just as difficult to keep clean as regular black, but worth it imho

Old 04-12-2009, 06:23 PM
Vekto911 is just really niceVekto911 is just really niceVekto911 is just really niceVekto911 is just really nice
The phantom black pearl of Audi is a metallic black. It has metallic flakes. Unlike BMW's carbon black and Porsche's basalt black, phantom black doesn't not look blue under a different angle or under direct sun light.

There is also a "brilliant black" that Audi makes if you wish to have the deepest black possible but I believe it has even more metallic flakes.

I don't like the color alteration (black to blue) but some do; it's a matter of taste. That's why my R8 is phantom black and my Cayenne is black.

In regards to keeping it clean: it's just like any other black but with proper and regular maintenance of the paint, the car gets less dirty less often.

I'll post pics of the R8 and Cayenne when the weather gets nicer; it's been cloudy for weeks here in Montreal.

Last edited by Vekto911; 04-12-2009 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by hovy82
There is also a "brilliant black" that Audi makes if you wish to have the deepest black possible but I believe it has even more metallic flakes.
Thanks guys. My S4 is brilliant black and is not metallic. I think I've had it with black...might be different if Phantom was like BMW's Carbon black, but I guess not.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:08 AM
Dr. Ferdinand is infamous around these parts
It's a nice color, but as others eluded to, PITA to keep clean, which is a given of course with any black.

As far as exclusivity (or lack thereof), 33.0% of all RS4 sedans came in Phantom Black, followed by 27% Daytona Gray and 15% Avus Silver. All other colors are very low single digits...

Old 04-13-2009, 11:17 AM
Zeshin is infamous around these parts
Like others have said, phantom black is pretty much black under any light.
Takes a little more care to detail, but well worth the extra effort.
I saw an avus silver RS4 the other day, and wow, beautiful.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:55 PM
StorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond repute
LOL. Yeah, Avus Silver is MONEY!

Old 04-13-2009, 06:52 PM
Thanks guys. Phantom is out. On the hunt for a Sprint. What can I say, I like blue.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:01 PM
Dr. Ferdinand is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by PbPedis
Thanks guys. Phantom is out. On the hunt for a Sprint. What can I say, I like blue.
You are on the right path, young Jedi May the force be with you!!!

PS: you can check out pics in my album (pics done before most mods), strongly suggest you look for one with the Ti package, although those are rare as it was an 08 option only. In fact, the Audi registry (which needs updating) lists only 3 in the US with the Ti and White interior, a few more with Black interior and Ti, but still, about 6.5% of RS4s were in Sprint, so you have to search hard and deep. LOL Always wondered why sprint is rare, such a great color, perhaps because it was the only standard (i.e. not exclusive) color that cost more ($750 option IIRC)

Old 04-13-2009, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by Dr. Ferdinand
You are on the right path, young Jedi May the force be with you!!!

PS: you can check out pics in my album (pics done before most mods), strongly suggest you look for one with the Ti package, although those are rare as it was an 08 option only. In fact, the Audi registry (which needs updating) lists only 3 in the US with the Ti and White interior, a few more with Black interior and Ti, but still, about 6.5% of RS4s were in Sprint, so you have to search hard and deep. LOL Always wondered why sprint is rare, such a great color, perhaps because it was the only standard (i.e. not exclusive) color that cost more ($750 option IIRC)
Thanks. You're right about Sprint being rare, and Titanium even more so. There is one at McGrath Audi but I remember one of our forum members (the Admin I believe) being treated like **** there.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:59 PM
Banned
smellTHEglove is infamous around these parts
I can hardly wait to pick up my new baby in Hunnington Beach, CALI tomorrow morning. T- Minus 12 hrs and counting. Where is Jack Bauer the episode is almost half-over.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:17 PM
cargo8 is infamous around these partscargo8 is infamous around these parts
if you want a BLACK BLACk car, get brilliant. Phantom looks opal / dark dark greyish during the day