Audi S4, S6, RS4, RS6, R8 etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Can I change the size of my tires?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 07:45 AM
Alcav5 is a jewel in the roughAlcav5 is a jewel in the roughAlcav5 is a jewel in the rough
Can I change the size of my tires?

We keep tearing up our 20" tire sidewalls. Anyone know if I can reduce to a 19" (I'm thinking less sensitive to curb kissing than 20's) on my '07 S8 (oem 265/35/20)?

Anyone know of a combo package for sale?

Much appreciated..

Allen

Old 05-11-2009, 05:20 AM
Chris@PerformanceOutfitters is infamous around these parts
Could you give a little more details on "tearing them up" do you mean that sidewalls are literally tearing when hitting curbs? We have a customer with an S8 that runs smaller tires for the winter (I believe he is running 19s with a 40 sidewall) on BBS CK's. He has ran them for two full CT winters without tire bubbling/ tearing problems.

If you have any more questions please let me know, I can also see if I can find a picture of the wheels/tires on the car. Just shoot me a PM if interested.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:52 AM
Alcav5 is a jewel in the roughAlcav5 is a jewel in the roughAlcav5 is a jewel in the rough
Chris, thx for the reply. Sidewall tears or a recent bubble / must be from curbs. I may consider the change later on but I just replaced the 2 front tires so right now I am less inclined to pull the trigger. I'm wondering about refinishing the oem rims. Perhaps that's another post.
Allen

Old 05-11-2009, 09:44 AM
Chris@PerformanceOutfitters is infamous around these parts
Sidewall tears are usually from curbs, and bubbles are usually from pot holes but can also be from curbs as well. With a 35 series sidewall in this area neither are rare.

If you've had a bad experience thus far I would get something with maybe a 40 sidewall on a smaller tire and when you purchase the new tires get a road hazard type insurance so that if you are to hit a curb and bubble the cost of the tire would be covered, and you only have to pay to get it mounted.

Again let me know if there is anything we can help you with as we are local to you (Stamford) and if I remember correctly we have the set of BBS CK's that I mentioned above in our shop, as we store them for this customer during the summer, so we could show them to you and put it in front of your car so you could see how it would look.