Audi S4, S6, RS4, RS6, R8 etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Custom Stereo in R8

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 10:13 PM
hurwizle is a jewel in the roughhurwizle is a jewel in the roughhurwizle is a jewel in the roughhurwizle is a jewel in the rough
Custom Stereo in R8

Hi folks,

*Here goes my maiden post, so please hit me up if any linking or attachments are not to proper post etiquette*

I drove my car home and everything was great... except for that super crappy B&O stereo that just cost $2k... arg.

anyway, I have had a couple systems put in my car here in the SF bay area, but was not super happy.

I took my R8 to Ernie @ Sound Innovations in Hayward, CA

I had seen two cars @ SEMA that they hooked up.

My stereo installer hunt is over. The work they did was so sick. note: not fast or cheap, just the best install work that I have seen. Nice guys and they really care and have a clue about car installs.

I am leaving the stock NAV for now. Even with the bad NAV interface (that dial is not working for me), I have not yet found something else to go in the dash. It is too bad there is no digital out on the stereo. For now, everything runs to the head unit (including iPod via AUX) and then to the BitOne.

Link to Photos:

http://picasaweb.google.com/hurwizle...eat=directlink

What was done:

-ran 4 guage power cable from the battery up front (with circuit breaker – as seen in photo).

-replaced OEM 8” woofers in doors with JL Audio ZR-800CW woofers

-replaced OEM mids/tweeters with Focal 100KRS (Kevlar 4” mids/tweeters) in stock locations

-ran new wire (14ga./16ga. Silver coated wire) to these speakers through OEM connectors (as seen in photo);

-sound deadened both doors with Dynamat Xtreme and Blackhole Tile.

-integrated the Audison Bit 1 processor with the OEM amplifier

-left stock center speaker and rear speakers connected to OEM amplifier. Their output is so low in comparison that they did not negatively affect the system.

-installed Bit 1 controller in center arm rest for easy access yet it remained concealed for the OEM look.

-added the iPod cable for charging of iPod and tied it into the Aux input.

-installed Audison LRx 5.1k amplifier and Bit 1 on top of OEM panel behind seats, then built new panel over it to flush them in and upholstered in OEM carpet.

-Audison amp is 2 x 170 watts to door woofers, 2 x 60 watts to door mids/tweeters, and 1 x 750 watts to Hertz HX250 subwoofer.

-tested multiple woofer combinations and placements before committing to existing down firing design which yielded the best results. Tried a bunch of woofers, and found the Hertz sounding better in this space then a couple $800+ woofers.

-built custom fiberglass enclosure for subwoofer with consideration for quality, aesthetics and function and upholstered it in OEM carpet.

-machined custom copper studs and receptacles which served as speaker contacts and a point of securement for the sub box. Easy to take out for track days, and no wires!

-many hours of fine tuning with RTA (real time analyzer) and multiple settings on the DSP for windows down (tons of bass), windows up (needs a big bass boost), and different types of music.

Anyone else put a system in an R8? The only one I have seen is that Pioneer system that was in a car audio mag or two.

- Hurwizle
2009 R8 (on Vellano VSM's)
2008 S4 Avant Jet Blue Metallic

Attached Images  
Old 05-15-2009, 04:42 AM
colt45 is a glorious beacon of lightcolt45 is a glorious beacon of lightcolt45 is a glorious beacon of lightcolt45 is a glorious beacon of lightcolt45 is a glorious beacon of light
looks great. bet it sounds awesome.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:29 AM
Chris@PerformanceOutfitters is infamous around these parts
Looks great, seems to be a quality install and they used some high quality parts. Well done

Old 05-16-2009, 01:01 PM
OSIKS4 is infamous around these parts
Clean install - sound clips - hahahaha jk