Audi S4, S6, RS4, RS6, R8 etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Audi RS5

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 04:42 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by StorminS4
Porsche 911... Wrong on the RWD. The 911s that people lust after are the C4, C4s and Turbo. All of which are AWD. Don't get me wrong, the Cayman, Boxter, and Carerra are great cars. There are the GT cars, but they are pretty much track spec, and that puts us into supercars.
Go spend some time on the 997 board on this site. Most people are buying C2's and a few are buying C4's. I came from three Audi S4/A4's over to a Porsche 997 C2S as I wanted a RWD. As for the GT3/GT3RS/GT2, most owners don't track them (which I think is a sin) but they buy them for hard core street fun.

The Lambo's are a subsidiary of Audi/VAG and the AWD systems are marvelous, but the only sport car company making them this way. Comparing and 560-4 to a Scud is not a fare comparison as the Ferrari is older technology, when the replacement comes out it will be faster and RWD.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:07 PM
StorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
Most people are buying C2's and a few are buying C4's.
Cost being a factor? The C2S vs the C4S is a $7k difference on base price alone with no dealer factors. Like I said, the entire Carrera line up is great. But AWD is there and is a desirable option.

I came from three Audi S4/A4's over to a Porsche 997 C2S as I wanted a RWD.
And I came from two AMGs to Audi for AWD (actually a half truth, I also wanted the 25Q bad enough that I bought it without planning the C's departure, but the Merc went away and the Audi is still here).

The Lambo's are a subsidiary of Audi/VAG and the AWD systems are marvelous, but the only sport car company making them this way.
And this somehow makes it less the truth when I say that they only offer AWD? The constant "pick your side" debate seems to be Ferrari/Lambo and 50% of that debate is a company that only makes AWD cars. The platform works for them and their people believe very strongly in it. Don't let their owners fool you, Lambo from a design standpoint is very independant. They will not be using DSG any time soon because they don't care for it.

Comparing and 560-4 to a Scud is not a fair comparison as the Ferrari is older technology, when the replacement comes out it will be faster and RWD.
How is the Scud older tech than the 560-4. The F430 is from 2004, while the Gallardo is from 2003. And the Scuderia and 560-4 were both 2007 builds... The 560-4 has more power coming from a bigger engine, but the car also weighs more (200 kilos) and in all senses the two are direct competitors...

And not to make a long winded argument, I'm just saying that a company producing AWD sports cars has just as much place in the market as one making RWD cars. Perhaps an even safer place in the market if they are the "only ones."

Old 06-23-2009, 06:34 PM
iconoclast is a glorious beacon of lighticonoclast is a glorious beacon of lighticonoclast is a glorious beacon of lighticonoclast is a glorious beacon of lighticonoclast is a glorious beacon of lighticonoclast is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by KrissrocK
that's all too it. Ppl want RWD for their sports cars, despite awd being a better technology....all your top name sports cars r RWD. Carrera's, M3's, Supra's, Rx7's, AMG's....
GT2, GT-R, Veyron, Gallardo, ferrari's 'insertable 4x4', r8, continental gt, rs6, rs4... on the lower end you have 335xi, g37, evo, sti, s4, r32, tesla, and so on.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:16 PM
lunamar is infamous around these parts
either way it's going to be one awesome car!!!

Old 06-24-2009, 09:15 AM
KrissrocK is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by gigharbor1
+1

Kriss: interesting that you criticize Audi for making "big horsepower cars" in tiptronic, yet you claim that AMGs are among the most desirable sports cars in the world. Audi was one of three brands in 2008 with positive sales growth. I don't think they're as clueless about market taste as you declare them to be!
the auto vs stick has nothing to do with the AWD vs RWD argument. The Tiptronic/auto is a great techonology...better than it's predecessor, the regular stick, but just like AWD vs Rwd, that doesn't make it a more desirable option.

I disagree. Audi has made their name by BEING the company that offers AWD...
true, but i don't think they do a better job of marketing the technology than Subaru...

RX-7 and Supra... Irrelevant, they don't make the cars anymore. And neither of them were ever luxury cars. If you're going to list those two (well, the RX-8 maybe, which is nothing compared to the RX-7) you have to list the Evo and the STi, both of which are in production and both of which outsell the RX-8.
very relevant cause they are ICONIC sports/tuning cars. Cars still sought after, cars used in movies, cars that turn heads. And they rwd. Now, i agree with you point about the STI and EVO, good cars. both AWD. But no icons yet...

Porsche 911... Wrong on the RWD. The 911s that people lust after are the C4, C4s and Turbo. All of which are AWD. Don't get me wrong, the Cayman, Boxter, and Carerra are great cars. There are the GT cars, but they are pretty much track spec, and that puts us into supercars.
huh? they are all still carrera's right? I think NorthVan said it best, ppl want the rwd porsche's ...

Performance does not NEED to be RWD and in many cases for most consumers the AWD makes a lot of sense.
TRue, it does. But it doesn't mean that it's more desirable. AWD is awsome. I have an AWD drive. I feel much more safe and i think the performance is better. I'd much rather have AWD...but i think the fact still remains, that the ICONS of sport are RWD vehicles or, at least the majority of them. Vipers, corvettes, mustangs, Rx's, Supra's, M3's, Some porsche's, 350z's, ..

Old 06-24-2009, 09:23 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Cost being a factor? The C2S vs the C4S is a $7k difference on base price alone with no dealer factors. Like I said, the entire Carrera line up is great. But AWD is there and is a desirable option.

And I came from two AMGs to Audi for AWD (actually a half truth, I also wanted the 25Q bad enough that I bought it without planning the C's departure, but the Merc went away and the Audi is still here).

And this somehow makes it less the truth when I say that they only offer AWD? The constant "pick your side" debate seems to be Ferrari/Lambo and 50% of that debate is a company that only makes AWD cars. The platform works for them and their people believe very strongly in it. Don't let their owners fool you, Lambo from a design standpoint is very independant. They will not be using DSG any time soon because they don't care for it.

How is the Scud older tech than the 560-4. The F430 is from 2004, while the Gallardo is from 2003. And the Scuderia and 560-4 were both 2007 builds... The 560-4 has more power coming from a bigger engine, but the car also weighs more (200 kilos) and in all senses the two are direct competitors...

And not to make a long winded argument, I'm just saying that a company producing AWD sports cars has just as much place in the market as one making RWD cars. Perhaps an even safer place in the market if they are the "only ones."
I am not saying that the AWD is not a desirable option, nor am I saying that the RWD is better then the AWD. What I am saying is that I don't agree with your statement that people are wanting the AWD over the RWD. I have never once said "wish I bought the C4S".

The LP560-4 is not a Gallardo anymore, it is looks like the Gallardo, but the new engine/driveline is totally different, and is not fair to say that the 430Scud is the same technical age. There will be a new one to replace the 430 and it will likely be faster then the LP560-4. But really when talking about these two cars, what does it matter, both are nice, and both are really fast!

Old 06-24-2009, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by iconoclast
GT2, GT-R, Veyron, Gallardo, ferrari's 'insertable 4x4', r8, continental gt, rs6, rs4... on the lower end you have 335xi, g37, evo, sti, s4, r32, tesla, and so on.
I am not sure that I understand this post, some of the cars you listed are RWD, while others are AWD.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:10 PM
iconoclast is a glorious beacon of lighticonoclast is a glorious beacon of lighticonoclast is a glorious beacon of lighticonoclast is a glorious beacon of lighticonoclast is a glorious beacon of lighticonoclast is a glorious beacon of light
i meant 911 turbo not gt2.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:58 PM
StorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond repute
The LP560-4 is not a Gallardo anymore, it is looks like the Gallardo, but the new engine/driveline is totally different, and is not fair to say that the 430Scud is the same technical age. There will be a new one to replace the 430 and it will likely be faster then the LP560-4. But really when talking about these two cars, what does it matter, both are nice, and both are really fast!
How is it not fair to say they're the same age? They are... And the Gallardo is 60K less.

Either way, the point is that sports cars, ICONIC or not (<---Baseless argument IMHO, the STi and EVO are legends in the tuning world), can be AWD or RWD and both configurations are very desirable.
Audi would do better to put some more power down to shut up the nay-sayers. The C63 AMG puts down stupid amounts of power for about the same money as an RS4 and THAT is tragic. The RS4 is going to be faster on a tight track though.

And yes, I will admit that Subaru does a much better job of marketing their cars as being AWD, but I don't think that Audi will ever market to as diverse a clientelle as Subie and so they never will seem to present their cars as well to the general public. And they don't need to. The average car purchase price for 2008 was $28,715. Putting Audi out of reach of wel over half the US car buyers. And that's just the base A4. The average price of a new Audi was $54K (which is a LOT of A4's balancing out the prices of S-cars and 6's and a few 8's). Their marketing needs to be more focused.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:18 PM
eetjw is infamous around these parts
AWD, RWD, Do you really mind driving a 2009 M3 or a 2010? RS5. All great cars. I would probably prefer the RS5's design but like I said before, only if prices are competitive with the M3.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:48 AM
KrissrocK is infamous around these parts
well riddle me this...do you think a RWD audi would sell better than a AWD or FWD version of the same car?...
I think it depends on which model is it. Maybe no a RWD A4, cause this is not marketed towards sports car enthusiast, but let's say a RWD TT, A5, S4, would definitely outsell their AWD counterparts. And this is what i think audi needs to really get their sportiness to the masses. I don't think wer're thinking outside our own persective. We know audi's are sporty...but i think if you ask the avg person on the street which car or car company makes more sporty cars, and you put audi against most other car companies, IMO most ppl would not choose audi as the sporty company. They would choose it as a luxury company.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:03 AM
It is a luxury company. At the end of the day, if all I was worried about was speed I would not have bought an S4. I wanted the comfort and style of the luxury car, but with the performance as the "cherry on top." If I wanted fast I would have bought a Corvette. Best bang for the buck performance car out there. But have you seen the interior? (YIKES)

Of course RWD Audis would sell, people pay money for the FWD A4's... It's blows my mind that they do, but for some people it just isn't an issue. At the end of the day I don't feel like Audi would be doing anything for their brand by offering RWD.. The marginal increase in sales would easily be offset by the increase in production costs and the additional vehicle burden on the dealer of having to stock multiple versions of the same car to have both AWD and RWD drivetrains.

The win in the end would be more power. The B8 S4 has the chance to put down some ridiculous numbers with a pulley upgrade and a reflash, but people want to be able to buy that from the dealer with a warranty... That and a stiffer rear sway bar from the factory, but the understeer biased current set-up is almost always a safety driven choice based upon the collection of morons that somehow have a drivers license.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:35 AM
It is a luxury company. At the end of the day, if all I was worried about was speed I would not have bought an S4. I wanted the comfort and style of the luxury car, but with the performance as the "cherry on top." If I wanted fast I would have bought a Corvette. Best bang for the buck performance car out there. But have you seen the interior? (YIKES)
+1, I like the Audi's as there is a certain feel to driving them. They were always looked down upon by BMW and MB owners, yet I have never had an interest in either of those cars and bought 4 Audi's in 10 years. My Touareg reminds me of the feel and fit and finish of the Audi's. When I bought it in 05, I felt that it was more Audi like then VW, and still enjoy driving it today.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:54 AM
gigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond repute
Drive around southern Germany and Switzerland near the mountains and you see more Audis than BMWs or Mercedes. Lots of high HP cars that you don't get here: RS4 Avants, S3s, RS6 Avants. Audi makes cars that are pretty fast, and in AWD, and they are popular with people that want a fun, comfortable car that can do more than one thing in all sorts of weather. I don't think they will try to make an "ultimate" sports car. But it would be cool if they offered their best stuff in the US, because I do think there is a market for it.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:06 AM
^Says the guy who's R8 is getting supercharged.

Not to thread jack, but that's a 6MT right?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Audi RS5