Audi S4, S6, RS4, RS6, R8 etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Verdict on the RS4? Too early?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 10:02 AM
IB Staff
IB Adrian Is a GOD !IB Adrian Is a GOD !IB Adrian Is a GOD !IB Adrian Is a GOD !IB Adrian Is a GOD !IB Adrian Is a GOD !IB Adrian Is a GOD !IB Adrian Is a GOD !IB Adrian Is a GOD !IB Adrian Is a GOD !IB Adrian Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ragdoll
Doesn't do much on an engine which is already gummed up.
I haven't had an opportunity to pull off the intake of an engine that is already gummed up. In theory it should help.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:11 PM
ragdoll is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by IB Adrian
I haven't had an opportunity to pull off the intake of an engine that is already gummed up. In theory it should help.
In theory a young, fit guy like me should have a shot with Megan Fox too.

Others have had the opportunity to pull their manifold off to inspect it after seafoam and BK44. They claim that the top layer of buildup is slightly softened up. Even with it softened up, it still takes roughly 1 hour to clean up ONE valve with much scrubbing/scraping.

Once you have buildup, there is no way it's going to just "fling" off after a chemical treatment.

I DO believe that if you get your valves and intake ports cleaned up to tiptop shape you could do good to do a seafoam treatment every few thousand miles. If you are rigerous in doing this, I think it would hold back the buildup. THAT is just a theory as I don't know anyone who has done that and then inspected after 10k-15k miles.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:16 PM
krazpony1 is infamous around these parts
What if you put Lead Additive in the gas? Will this help clean it out?

Old 09-03-2009, 02:40 PM
IB Staff
IB Adrian Is a GOD !IB Adrian Is a GOD !IB Adrian Is a GOD !IB Adrian Is a GOD !IB Adrian Is a GOD !IB Adrian Is a GOD !IB Adrian Is a GOD !IB Adrian Is a GOD !IB Adrian Is a GOD !IB Adrian Is a GOD !IB Adrian Is a GOD !
The issue is before the air comes in contact with the fuel - so no.

Its a result of the carbon from the exhaust gases redirected by the EGR...

Old 09-03-2009, 05:24 PM
krazpony1 is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the info. Well I did put some Lead in with a full tank, is that bad? The car seems to be running great.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:10 PM
Bigrigger has a spectacular aura aboutBigrigger has a spectacular aura about
ummmm no. The lead and your cats dont mix all that well. Dont put anymore in.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:13 PM
Cni2i is just really niceCni2i is just really niceCni2i is just really niceCni2i is just really nice
IF nothing is done about the carbon buildup...what would eventually happen besides drop in power? That's bad enough...but I was just wondering what the worse case scenario would be.

BTW...if you brought your RS4 into the dealership and told them about your concern, would they even do anything?

Last edited by Cni2i; 10-09-2009 at 11:16 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:57 AM
ssaa77 is infamous around these parts
What's the ETA on the DRC recall?

I've been struggling with my next car decision since I'm driving an 07 S2000 but need to have a backseat for my kid by next month. Given the concern I've had about the RS4, I figured I'd just pick up a SUV, but now I'm thinking I don't want deal with two cars. But I LOVE the S2K....

What do you guys think?

Old 10-16-2009, 11:14 AM
Cni2i is just really niceCni2i is just really niceCni2i is just really niceCni2i is just really nice
If you are thinking SUV what about a sports-oriented SUV like the Porsche Cayenne GTS or the BMW 4.8? BMW e90 M3 with manual transmission? The e92 M3 can fit your kid in the back as well. Heck, my 330ci ZHP had about the same amount of leg room as my RS4.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:44 AM
ssaa77 is infamous around these parts
Good points. The second card would need to be an automatic for the wife, which I really don't mind since my commute sucks. If I go with car #2, I don't want to spend more than 30k....otherwise, it just makes sense for me to trade in the S2K and get the RS4. And of course, this is assuming any dealer will take an S2K at this time in the year.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:47 PM
Yeah. If you can find an RS4 will relatively low miles and still under factory warranty...the RS4 would be a great car for what you seem to be looking for. It's a great daily driver, BUT also a great performance car.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:44 PM
ragdoll is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Cni2i
IF nothing is done about the carbon buildup...what would eventually happen besides drop in power? That's bad enough...but I was just wondering what the worse case scenario would be.

BTW...if you brought your RS4 into the dealership and told them about your concern, would they even do anything?
Sorry for the extremely late reply.

The buildup won't get to a certain point and stop. It will always continue to build up. It'll get to the point where the ignition cannot retard the timing enough to compensate for the blockage and the car will stutter and quit.

THAT is a pretty hefty cabon build up to do that! Ha... I don't think anyone would let it get that bad though. After a few thousand miles of the flashing warning lights that accompany the carbon buildup, it will probably sway you to get it cleaned.

Technically, worse things could happen but seriously, no one is going to drive an RS4 in a bad state long enough for those things to happen.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:59 PM
^^^ Better late than never

Thank you. I agree with you. Owners of RS4s and other high performance cars are usually pretty in tune with their cars. Early detection is always best.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:08 PM
switchface is infamous around these parts
There are some long (and somewhat heated) discussions going on right now on Audizine. I came across this post on a5oc, which directed me to the two Audizine threads.

http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthrea...808/index.html

Old 01-07-2010, 10:19 AM
03RSTT Is a GOD !03RSTT Is a GOD !03RSTT Is a GOD !03RSTT Is a GOD !03RSTT Is a GOD !03RSTT Is a GOD !03RSTT Is a GOD !03RSTT Is a GOD !03RSTT Is a GOD !03RSTT Is a GOD !03RSTT Is a GOD !
I will post up this information. I do not work for this company nor make a penny from any sale. Research on your own and make your own decision.

I use some of Brian's products and many on the RS6 forum use his entire line. As do many P car clubs. The company is a pleasure to do business with and the products do what he says they do.

My best guess would be to try the Aces4 in the FSI engines. If you study what the product does in the combustion chamber as it leaves the exhaust you will understand why I say this. If the EGR is causing this gunk to accumulate in the intake tract the Aces4 eliminates that junk from the combustion chamber and exhaust.

I own an RS6 and E55. I wanted to buy an RS4 but this carbon problem stopped me dead in my tracks.

http://www.bndautomotive.com/page/page/901818.htm

Call Brian and chat with him. You will see why we use his products.

Last edited by 03RSTT; 01-07-2010 at 10:22 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Verdict on the RS4? Too early?