Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Verdict on the RS4? Too early?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 01:08 PM
ssaa77 is infamous around these parts
Verdict on the RS4? Too early?

Been researching the RS4 for some time. I've driven 2 and both times it put a huge smile on my face. However, I've been reluctant to drop the cash due to maintenance issues. I think it's too early to call the RS4 an unreliable the car since we're talking 07s (at least here in the US), but it concerns me that there are so many threads about issues (mainly about DRC, though).

Is the RS4 a bad choice if I'm worried about car maintenance? What about compared to a 997S?

Old 06-21-2009, 04:08 PM
Al Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the rough
Knock on wood, but I have 10K miles on my 2007 RS4 sedan with no mechanical issues whatsoever.

Old 06-21-2009, 04:20 PM
AUDIous is infamous around these parts
lets just say i have some inside knowledge, the only real issues with the car are all related to the drc system. with a good aftermarket suspenssion the car is nearly perfect.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:05 PM
spd0a is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by AUDIous
lets just say i have some inside knowledge, the only real issues with the car are all related to the drc system. with a good aftermarket suspenssion the car is nearly perfect.
Exactly what he said. Have 10k miles on my '08, and just recently ripped off the DRC (found both passenger side struts leaking badly) and put on the Stasis MS coil-overs system. Night and day difference in the feel and ability of the car now. Other mod I highly recommend is an upgraded shifter. I hated the stock shifter, felt like the unit in an old girlfriend's '91 Jetta. I went with the JHM short shifter.
Otherwise, the car has seen 10k fairly hard miles and it is flawless.

Last edited by spd0a; 06-22-2009 at 08:17 AM.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:51 AM
gigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond repute
I agree that an RS4 with the Stasis coilovers is a fantastic car. That's what I traded in for the R8 last fall.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:41 PM
Al Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the rough
Knock on wood (again), but my DRC suspension hasn't failed-yet-but if it does, I agree, those Stasis/Ohlin coilovers are the way to go.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:19 PM
ssaa77 is infamous around these parts
Ok - solely DRC issues - but would any of you buy one with 40k+ miles? I'm seeing more and more come on the market with 30-45k miles going for high 30s low 40s. Seems like a great deal for such an amazing car....but know my luck, I'll buy one and it will fall apart for some reason.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:09 PM
i cant think of any reason not to if its the right car. make sure all of the maintance has been properly done and the brakes have been recently replaced, otherwise there very expensive. the 4.2 is overall a very reliable motor so realy if its the right car you cant go wrong.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:16 PM
FooFighterRS4 is infamous around these parts
I've got 60K miles on my car. It's been reliable but I switched to Stasis/Ohlins at 5K miles so no DRC issues. The only significant problem I've had was carbon build-up on the intake. It's a problem for all direct injection engines. I've had to change the front brake pads twice and the front rotors once.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:25 PM
spd0a is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by FooFighterRS4
I've got 60K miles on my car. It's been reliable but I switched to Stasis/Ohlins at 5K miles so no DRC issues. The only significant problem I've had was carbon build-up on the intake. It's a problem for all direct injection engines. I've had to change the front brake pads twice and the front rotors once.
How did you deal with the carbon build-up?

Old 06-23-2009, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by FooFighterRS4

ive yet to see carbon build up being an issue on anything besides the 3.2. was it causing cold start missfires? any info you have on this would be apreciated.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:37 PM
They cleaned out the intake valves (about 10 hours of labor if I remember correctly). My car was still under warranty so I got lucky. There are quite a few RS4's that have had this occur. At cold start up I got a CEL warning. I believe some people get misfires. There are numerous posts on Audiworld about it.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:28 AM
PbPedis is infamous around these parts
Carbon issue and DRC are the 2 known problems. I would be more concerned about the carbon issue than the DRC. If that doesn't scare you away (and personally, I wouldn't let it), then I'd recommend it over a 997S.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:54 AM
The DRC issue is easily resolved with aftermarket coilovers. The carbon build up will return eventually. Using top tier fuel and fuel detergents will help delay build up but not prevent it entirely. It is a flaw in all direct injection engines. I believes the Cayenne has had similar issues. I would be shocked if the new 997's with DI engines did not have similar issues.

Last edited by FooFighterRS4; 06-24-2009 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:51 PM
switchface is infamous around these parts
I've been tossing around the idea of an RS4 (and a Cayman S, S5, etc..) but I was concerned about the carbon issues as well. I've been told its a fairly common problem and there really isn't a fix; its a design flaw in the...eh, I'm just repeating what Foo said.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Verdict on the RS4? Too early?