Audi S4, S6, RS4, RS6, R8 etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

I want a relaible ferrari/Lambo.........does an r8 qualify?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 08:18 PM
ice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by kalare
I believe R8 is Hand Made at Audi factory in Neckarsulm. Check out the wiki page:

I quote:
"To produce the R8 at quattro GmbH, seventy workers fit 5,000 unique parts by hand. The factory at Neckarsulm, redeveloped at a cost of 28millon, produces between eight and fifteen cars a day. Ninety-five lasers inspect the entire car in five seconds to ensure that over 220 measurements are within 0.1 millimetres of the programmed plans.[6]"
I stand corrected. I thought I read that it was made partly by hand but also by robotic arms for perfect precision as professed by Audi. Oh well.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:54 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
The Audi is a bit weird looking and doesn't hold a candle compared to the appearance or sound of a Ferrari. It's great that they're reliable an all that, but the current model available just isn't a great looking car. It's nice, but not Ferrari or Lambo nice. Easy decision. Pass on the Audi. It's rare that companies that make station wagons will make a sports car that is in the league of true exotics. Magazine stats aside, put the two side by side. Nobody in their right mind given the choice of a free car is going to pick the Audi. If you've got the $$$, get the Italian.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:00 AM
PitbullSL500 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by deputydog95
The Audi is a bit weird looking and doesn't hold a candle compared to the appearance or sound of a Ferrari. It's great that they're reliable an all that, but the current model available just isn't a great looking car. It's nice, but not Ferrari or Lambo nice. Easy decision. Pass on the Audi. It's rare that companies that make station wagons will make a sports car that is in the league of true exotics. Magazine stats aside, put the two side by side. Nobody in their right mind given the choice of a free car is going to pick the Audi. If you've got the $$$, get the Italian.
I think Aston Martin makes the best "Looking" cars.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:34 AM
07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by ice350

I don't really consider the R8 a true exotic. Any mass produced, assembly line built car doesn't qualify in my book..
What does?

Old 07-04-2009, 07:08 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 07speed
What does?
That's easy. Enzo, CGT, Veyron, etc...

Old 07-04-2009, 07:12 AM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
I believe R8 is Hand Made at Audi factory in Neckarsulm. Check out the wiki page:

I quote:
"To produce the R8 at quattro GmbH, seventy workers fit 5,000 unique parts by hand. The factory at Neckarsulm, redeveloped at a cost of 28millon, produces between eight and fifteen cars a day. Ninety-five lasers inspect the entire car in five seconds to ensure that over 220 measurements are within 0.1 millimetres of the programmed plans.[6]"
i second that. the R8 is NOT mass produced. They are all hand built at the Quattro GmbH in Neckarsulm.

http://www.motorauthority.com/audi-r...ough-2009.html :
`The hand-built R8's production capacity is limited. Just 25 of the cars are built each day, and based on an average working year of 240 days of production, that makes for about 6,000 cars annually`

i think the biggest advantage of an R8 as a sportscar is that it does everything very well:
its got that supercar looks, it is very hot but still kind of understated (like a very beautiful woman in a seductive gown) and not snobbish like a Ferrari or Lambo, it sounds sick (there are many crazy sounding exhausts on the market), it is fast, it really is easy to drive, the handling is great, it is very well balanced (midengined), it does well on the highway but also on a track, it is very reliable and even pretty comfortable and if u compare it to a Gallardo or F430 it is also better value for hard earned cash. it is simply a pretty awesome package.

by the way, a Vantage is nice looking but more of a GT than a sportscar imho.

Last edited by catchmyshadow; 07-04-2009 at 08:02 AM.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:10 AM
07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough
That's easy. Enzo, CGT, Veyron, etc...

Yeah i agree..but these are sold to a select few people. Even if you have the dough they are tuff to get.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:48 PM
kalare is infamous around these parts

To each their own...I think the R8 looks fantastic. The interiors in the Audi are also wonderful. I've only sat in Ferrari and never a Lambo, but I much prefer the Audi interior to the Italian exotic.

Old 07-04-2009, 06:00 PM
Pipper6speed is infamous around these parts
Since when aren't Ferraris and Lamborghinis reliable? The current models are very good. The LP560 is the same as the V10 R8 more or less. Lighter and more power.

Old 07-04-2009, 06:25 PM
To each their own...I think the R8 looks fantastic. The interiors in the Audi are also wonderful. I've only sat in Ferrari and never a Lambo, but I much prefer the Audi interior to the Italian exotic.
It's not that it's a bad looking car. Because the R8 is pretty cool. I don't think its appearance will hold up over time like an Italian though. My guess is that a lot of its popularity is due to the fact that its a fresh face on the scene.