Audi S4, S6, RS4, RS6, R8 etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Drive across the US in my PES supercharged R8

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 12:09 AM
gigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond repute
Drive across the US in my PES supercharged R8

I got back last night from a LONG three-day, 2800 mile road trip across the US in my PES supercharged R8, which was ready for pickup on Sunday. Here is a long post of my trip, in case you can't sleep tonight and need help with that:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post2464105

Bottom line:
I drove for 2000 miles in two full days, then hit a raccoon in the middle of the night in Montana, which caused full coolant loss and I had to finish the trip on the back of a tow truck.

But for the relevant details: how is the PES supercharger? What else can I say other than it is FANTASTIC? It ran flawlessly, pulled hard every time I wanted it to. It's always going, but you don't notice it sound-wise unless you're really stomping on the gas in the first three gears. In 4th through 6th, it will spool as the RPMs increase, and the feeling is a lot like downshifting and gunning it, except you're not downshifting, and that the power just keeps coming. It's a thrilling ride that gave me an adrenalin rush all day. I know Porsche turbo guys get this feeling all the time, but this is a very unique experience in acceleration for us Audi guys. The car now officially goes as fast as it looks.

I need a couple of replacement parts up front with the heat exchanger because of the accident, but hopefully I can get them really, really soon (Patrick, Tony, HINT HINT).

Here are a few pics:

At the mighty PES Tuning

Re-badged

Tony firing it up

New heat exchanger in front of an OEM radiator

Old 07-16-2009, 05:12 AM
iconoclast is a glorious beacon of lighticonoclast is a glorious beacon of lighticonoclast is a glorious beacon of lighticonoclast is a glorious beacon of lighticonoclast is a glorious beacon of lighticonoclast is a glorious beacon of light
glad to hear the positive reviews... i am torn at the moment between purchasing a b7 rs4 or b7 s4 and super charging it. daily driving is my main concern, as this would be a 'company car'.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:54 AM
MNGolfer is just really niceMNGolfer is just really niceMNGolfer is just really niceMNGolfer is just really niceMNGolfer is just really nice
Very nice! Are you concerned about the change in the factory warranty? The factory claims no SC due to excess heat. Did you have any excess heat issues?

Old 07-16-2009, 08:13 AM
GreenGoblin is infamous around these parts
Looks great, I just did the trip from Miami to La and back in my TT g35. It was a great trip I am sure you enjoyed the trip.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:02 AM
dblock110 is infamous around these parts
the silver on silver is so classy

are those vmr or DPE

Old 07-16-2009, 09:21 AM
iconoclast is a glorious beacon of lighticonoclast is a glorious beacon of lighticonoclast is a glorious beacon of lighticonoclast is a glorious beacon of lighticonoclast is a glorious beacon of lighticonoclast is a glorious beacon of light
i would assume theyre HRE monoblock wheels.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:33 PM
skiS4fun is infamous around these parts
Great looking ride, great pics too! Glad you got the R8 back home. I've seen the B7S4 SC in action, I can only imagine whats its like in the R8.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:37 PM
AWD
AWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud of
I enjoyed the roadtrip writeup.

Makes me want to hop in the car and DRIVE!

Old 07-16-2009, 08:00 PM
gigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MNGolfer
Very nice! Are you concerned about the change in the factory warranty? The factory claims no SC due to excess heat. Did you have any excess heat issues?
MN: well, the factory warranty related to any powertrain components is clearly voided now. I knew that when I decided to do it. I didn't have any heat issues at all. The car has something like six radiators in stock form, and PES adds two heat exchangers up front. I have a lot of track days in August where it will be 80 - 90 degrees, so I will report back my findings.

Originally Posted by dblock110
the silver on silver is so classy

are those vmr or DPE
Thanks a lot. These are HRE Monoblock P40 in the brushed aluminum

Originally Posted by AWD
I enjoyed the roadtrip writeup.

Makes me want to hop in the car and DRIVE!
AWD, let me know if you drive up this way, I'd love to meet you somewhere!

Old 07-17-2009, 10:14 AM
Banned
Patrick - PES is infamous around these parts
PES adds two heat exchangers up front
Its 3 heat exchangers up front that we add, but whos counting? haha.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:55 AM
M5&RS Captin is a splendid one to beholdM5&RS Captin is a splendid one to beholdM5&RS Captin is a splendid one to beholdM5&RS Captin is a splendid one to beholdM5&RS Captin is a splendid one to beholdM5&RS Captin is a splendid one to beholdM5&RS Captin is a splendid one to behold
It looks like it was a good trip

Old 07-18-2009, 02:14 PM
mcaanda is infamous around these parts
If I had to be road kill, I'd want to be involved with an SC'd R8 as well.

Very nice ride and sorry to hear about the accident. I can imagine that the 800 miles left to get back home were not nearly as enjoyable as the prior 2000.

Last edited by mcaanda; 07-18-2009 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by mcaanda
If I had to be road kill, I'd want to be involved with an SC'd R8 as well.

Very nice ride and sorry to hear about the accident. I can imagine that the 800 miles left to get back home were not nearly as enjoyable as the prior 2000.
Thanks, mcaanda. I do feel like I have some unfinished business with those last 800 miles

Old 07-19-2009, 06:08 PM
Ice's 996tt Cab has a spectacular aura aboutIce's 996tt Cab has a spectacular aura aboutIce's 996tt Cab has a spectacular aura about
Awesome looking Car!!!!

She must be a beast!!!!!!

I am jealous!!!!!!

Best of luck with her!!!!!

Ice

Old 07-19-2009, 11:59 PM
Originally Posted by Ice's 996tt Cab
Awesome looking Car!!!!

She must be a beast!!!!!!

I am jealous!!!!!!

Best of luck with her!!!!!

Ice
Thanks a lot, Ice. But come on now, I've seen your car pics and you have nothing to be jealous about!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Drive across the US in my PES supercharged R8