Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Anyone own both an R8 and a Gallardo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 07:44 PM
emissary is infamous around these parts
Anyone own both an R8 and a Gallardo?

I recently sold my 04 996TT and was thinking about getting an 08 R8 to replace it. The issue is that I already have an 04 Gallardo, and I'm concerned the cars might be too similar. I wish I could just go and test drive an R8 to see for myself, but the nearest one for sale is about 260 miles away.

My 996TT was my summer daily driver, and the R8 would play the same role. I would hope that it would be a more usable version of the Gallardo where I didn't have to worry about issues like ridiculously low ground clearance, limited visibility, etc.

Any experienced opinions would be most appreciated; thanks in advance!

Old 11-11-2009, 08:05 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
Cool

Originally Posted by emissary
I recently sold my 04 996TT and was thinking about getting an 08 R8 to replace it. The issue is that I already have an 04 Gallardo, and I'm concerned the cars might be too similar. I wish I could just go and test drive an R8 to see for myself, but the nearest one for sale is about 260 miles away.

My 996TT was my summer daily driver, and the R8 would play the same role. I would hope that it would be a more usable version of the Gallardo where I didn't have to worry about issues like ridiculously low ground clearance, limited visibility, etc.

probably more so a different look, but probably the same drive.... Audi has the same engine that they make the gallardo with. I wouldnt, you dont like the new 500 hp 997.2 turbo's.... im surprised....

Old 11-11-2009, 09:28 PM
trincap is a jewel in the roughtrincap is a jewel in the roughtrincap is a jewel in the roughtrincap is a jewel in the rough
Assume you are the same guy from the R8 boards asking.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by rvhpno80
probably more so a different look, but probably the same drive.... Audi has the same engine that they make the gallardo with. I wouldnt, you dont like the new 500 hp 997.2 turbo's.... im surprised....
I'm looking at getting a V8 R8. I was also thinking about a 997.1 GT3, but wanted something a bit more unique.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by trincap
Assume you are the same guy from the R8 boards asking.
No, that's not me. Sounds interesting; might you have a link to the thread?

Old 11-12-2009, 03:56 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
Smile

I'm looking at getting a V8 R8. I was also thinking about a 997.1 GT3, but wanted something a bit more unique.
good luck with whatever you buy, i see you have excellent taste anyway... keep us posted.. i will be looking out for pics...

Old 11-12-2009, 10:15 PM
trincap is a jewel in the roughtrincap is a jewel in the roughtrincap is a jewel in the roughtrincap is a jewel in the rough
http://www.r8talk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3836
http://www.r8talk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3834
I've owned both of them. End of the day it's more of a personal choice on what kind of car you want, flash and dash or Track but livable.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:20 PM
Platinum Sponsor
WHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond repute
driven both as Boss man has both. The R8 is so much easier to live day to day with. Very comfy and now that it is Twin Turbo.. its fast the the gallardo.

1.866.519.4335 ext 2103
Web: www.wheelsboutique.com
Email: Jonathan@wheelsboutique.com

#1 HRE Dealer Worldwide / DPE Wheels / Vertini / Work Wheels / D2 Forged / TechArt / Novitec / Brabus / Carlsson / AC Schnitzer / Mansory / Kooks / Corsa / RENNTech / WALD / Milltek / Tubi / Champion Motorsports / AWE / RSS / BBS / Brembo / Hamman / Eisenmann / KW / H&R / Nitto / Pirelli / Michelin / Dunlop / Goodyear / Falken / Continental and tons more....
Old 11-14-2009, 03:31 PM
ZZinger is just really niceZZinger is just really niceZZinger is just really niceZZinger is just really niceZZinger is just really nice
I have not owned either one but have driven both the R8 and the Gallardo. The R8 is more refined with comfort, quality, and smooth ride in one package. The R8 turns as many heads as the gallardo and is definetely more of a daily driver than the G car. The gallardo to me was all business. Its sounds raw and has a more stiff ride than the R8. Visibility is better in the R8 as is the ground clearance, especially before the G car had the lift system. To me the R8 is the beter choice for your needs. The car does feel similar to the Gallardo but just feels more at home for me, thats my 2 cents, hope it helps. If you can swing it spring for the V10 R8, thats my next step....

Old 11-14-2009, 06:23 PM
richkaltman has a spectacular aura aboutrichkaltman has a spectacular aura aboutrichkaltman has a spectacular aura about
Just took delivery of my R8 with the V10...very impressed with car. I drove the gallardo spyder and like that alot as well. I think the R8 is a great choice for a daily driver.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:10 PM
ZZinger is just really niceZZinger is just really niceZZinger is just really niceZZinger is just really niceZZinger is just really nice
How is the V10? Are you breaking it in or hammering it from day one How is the speed of the V10 vs your 599?

Old 11-15-2009, 07:38 AM
richkaltman has a spectacular aura aboutrichkaltman has a spectacular aura aboutrichkaltman has a spectacular aura about
Hammering from day one...the 599 is faster!!! I think the V10 is the ultimate stealth daily driver.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:43 PM
599 is faster no question. I believe it wouldn't beat an R8 V10 on a track though (obviously). Hammering it seems to be the way to go to get the rings plugged in real well. I must admit though, I'm not doing it that way.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:35 PM
Cni2i is just really niceCni2i is just really niceCni2i is just really niceCni2i is just really nice

I wished I was in your predicament

Old 11-19-2009, 09:43 AM
Cabinetman is infamous around these partsCabinetman is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by richkaltman
Hammering from day one...the 599 is faster!!! I think the V10 is the ultimate stealth daily driver.
I think your view is a bit skewed by all the great cars you have because in my neck of the woods a R8 would not be considered stealth

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone own both an R8 and a Gallardo?