Audi S4, S6, RS4, RS6, R8 etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

New owner here, finally picked up my B6 S4...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 04:06 PM
Chadillac2000 is a jewel in the roughChadillac2000 is a jewel in the roughChadillac2000 is a jewel in the rough
New owner here, finally picked up my B6 S4...

First off just wanted to introduce myself to the forums and say hello to everyone. I recently sold off my 2002 E46 M3 to a guy locally and have been looking for a replacement for some time now. I really wanted 4 doors, and had been contemplating a few options in my search for something new. I really had it narrowed down to leasing a new 335i sedan, splurging and financing a used E55 AMG, or outright purchasing a B6 S4. Since i'm in my final year of college here at the University of Georgia I figured the latter would be the best choice for me. No car payments, and I would own the car to do with as I please and sell later down the road to free up some cash if I wanted to buy something else in a few years.

I have a pretty long history of buying and modifying cars, started back in high school with a 97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX (helped me to learn the ropes of modifying, tuning, and extracting some extra power), then took a break before purchasing my 02 M3 in my freshman year of college (with a little help from my parents). I'm very big on keeping things clean and not as flashy as others sometimes like, but i've always had the philosophy when it comes to modifying cars that less is better. Usually all it takes is some lighting mods, a nice drop, and sometimes a nice set of wheels to set off any car, no need to go overboard. While I spent most of the time with my DSM under the hood tweaking the 4G63 powerplant I realized there wasn't much to do in the power department, short of going forced induction, with the E46. So besides going catless headers and a chip to get rid of the CEL I stuck mostly to aesthetic mods that helped emphasize the lines the car already had. A set of TCKline double adjustable coilovers dropped and corner balanced the car to drive like a dream on the streets and ready to conquer any track or backroads I threw at it, a full makeover on the front lighting setup consisting of 6k HID upgrades, 6k angel eyes, and tinted lenses made it the car look menacing in any rear view mirror, the authentic BBS LM's (i've always been a firm believer you get what you pay for) 19 inch wheels gave the car that perfect bulldog stance while gleaming as the spun with their custom polished stepped lips, a Vorsteiner CF CSL trunk and diffuser matched with a Milltek exhaust gave the car great looking rear end and fantastic tone, and a full OEM charcoal alacantara makeover with the Imola red leather gave the interior a one of a kind feel. Here is the car in its final state, before I returned it to stock and delivered it to its new owner.

But enough of the old...now with the new.

Been searching the forums and autotrader for some time until I finally tracked down a nice unmolested B6 for the right price. I found one a few months after I began my search in Mt. Pleasant, SC, right nearby thankfully so didn't even have to travel far. Communicated with the owner for a few weeks and did some research on the car before deciding to pull the trigger and gather my funds to make the purchase. Ended up getting the car for a very good deal and headed down to Mt. Pleasant (right outside of Charleston, SC) the day after Christmas to see the car for myself and hopefully drive it back with me. Left Greenville, SC where I was spending with Christmas with my family around 8:00 AM.

Was very foggy for the first hour or so of the drive...

Arrived in Mt. Pleasant around noon and as soon as I pulled up to the owner's house I knew the car had been well taken care of. It was practically glowing sitting in his driveway. There wasn't a scratch on the car and the interior was and engine bay looked mint. Definitely didn't show the wear of a car that was 5 or so years old and had nearly 60k miles on the odometer. Took the car for a quick spin, let everything heat up, listened to everything, made sure the clutch felt right and all the buttons felt right and the deal was completed. Stopped for a celebratory lunch with some family before heading back to Asheville, NC to spend New Years with friends and was able to snap some pictures soon after taking ownership of the car...

Taken with my D80 and Nikkor 18-135mm lens...

Then changed my Nikkor lens out for my new Sigma 10-20mm lens I got for Christmas...

And finally filling her up for the first time with some Shell V-Power 93 octane...

My first impressions of the car was the impressiveness of the torque for only boasting 302 ft/lbs, this must have stemmed from the lack of torque in the M3. Its very nice not having to downshift in sixth gear to pass on the interstate as I used to have to do in the M3. The cars interior is much more impressive than that of the BMW, as well as the stereo, and transmission feel. Not nearly as notchy as its BMW counterpart. Really love the look of the stock avus wheels so far and the sound coming from the V8 is intoxicating in comparison to the raspy tone of the inline six I became accustomed to in the M3. Also it wasn't as big of a disappointment going back to an AWD car as I thought it would be since I really had grown fond of the RWD of the M3, but one go at the twisties and I remembered the great security that AWD gives you, despite the understeer.

My intentions with this car are the same as before, modifications may not come as fast since I'm preparing for the real world here in the next year or so, but they will come. Currently in the shop right now getting the rear 8% tint removed and having it completely retinted to the legal limit of 35% all around. Also have a Valentine 1 sitting here waiting to be hardwired in. Probably going with a nice set of coilovers or a nice catback exhaust first depending on what I stumble across. Sorry for the first long post but will be back with updates along the way, hope everyone had a happy new year!

Old 01-07-2010, 06:10 PM
$teady$upreme is infamous around these parts
I just congratulated you from AZ hahaha...but yah can't wait what you going to do for this S4~

Old 01-07-2010, 06:18 PM
KGB557 has a spectacular aura aboutKGB557 has a spectacular aura aboutKGB557 has a spectacular aura about
Congrats! B6 S4 was one of the best cars I've ever owned.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:20 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Congrats and enjoy it! I'm a bit partial to the B6 S4 myself. Here's a pic of my pride and joy. If you have any questions about the ins and outs....feel free to give me a buzz.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:33 PM
Chadillac2000 is a jewel in the roughChadillac2000 is a jewel in the roughChadillac2000 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by KGB557
Congrats! B6 S4 was one of the best cars I've ever owned.
Thanks! Really enjoying it so far!

Originally Posted by Tom@Rennsport-1
Congrats and enjoy it! I'm a bit partial to the B6 S4 myself. Here's a pic of my pride and joy. If you have any questions about the ins and outs....feel free to give me a buzz.
Thanks! Beautiful car you got there. A drop, nice set of wheels, and an exhaust is really all it takes to set this platform off!

Old 01-09-2010, 08:39 AM
casper is just really nicecasper is just really nicecasper is just really nicecasper is just really nicecasper is just really nice
thanks for the informative post about your impressions of switching over from an m3 to an s4. i'm contemplating doing the same thing.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by casper
thanks for the informative post about your impressions of switching over from an m3 to an s4. i'm contemplating doing the same thing.
Not a problem, glad it could help. Like I said, theyre both great cars with their respective strengths. It really all comes down to whether or not you want a coupe or sedan. I've always been more of a fan of sedans, and definitely prefer a v8 over the inline 6.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:16 AM
colt45 is a glorious beacon of lightcolt45 is a glorious beacon of lightcolt45 is a glorious beacon of lightcolt45 is a glorious beacon of lightcolt45 is a glorious beacon of light
Congrats on your new S4.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:52 AM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
Good choice. That was a very clean M3 you had. You'll love the exhaust note of the S4 with a catback.

I love my S4 - it's a fantastic daily. Makes me smile every time I fire it up and has been incredibly reliable.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by lig
Good choice. That was a very clean M3 you had. You'll love the exhaust note of the S4 with a catback.

I love my S4 - it's a fantastic daily. Makes me smile every time I fire it up and has been incredibly reliable.
Thanks! Car looks great with the BBS wheels, was definitely looking at those for a possibility when I upgrade mine.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:05 PM
Misanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant future
Congratulations man, but damn I don't think I could have made the same switch. I absolutely love your m3. It is every sense of the word clean. Just the way you explain it, not over done at all, but still drop dead gorgeous!

I'm surprised you like the interior as much as you do in the b6. My best friend has a b6 a4 which is the same thing as the S minus the Recaro's and I preferred my e46 interior over his much more. My b7's interior was leagues above the M3's though.

Congratulations again on the new purchase, and if your S ends up looking anything like your M you can't go wrong!

Old 01-10-2010, 10:33 PM
soothsayer is infamous around these parts
Congrats on the s4... I started looking for one as a daily and wonder what to be cautious of. It will be interesting to see what you have in store of this s4 because that is one gorgeous m3 to switch from.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:14 PM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Misanors4
Congratulations man, but damn I don't think I could have made the same switch. I absolutely love your m3. It is every sense of the word clean. Just the way you explain it, not over done at all, but still drop dead gorgeous!

I'm surprised you like the interior as much as you do in the b6. My best friend has a b6 a4 which is the same thing as the S minus the Recaro's and I preferred my e46 interior over his much more. My b7's interior was leagues above the M3's though.

Congratulations again on the new purchase, and if your S ends up looking anything like your M you can't go wrong!
+1 on that.. I couldnt have traded that M3 for an S4.. Only thing i would like is it to be SMG.. I really love the SMG trans...

Congrats on the new Car and i am sure youll add some goodies to bring it up to the M3's level..

MIke

Old 01-11-2010, 09:12 AM
italian a4 1032 has much to be proud ofitalian a4 1032 has much to be proud ofitalian a4 1032 has much to be proud ofitalian a4 1032 has much to be proud ofitalian a4 1032 has much to be proud ofitalian a4 1032 has much to be proud ofitalian a4 1032 has much to be proud ofitalian a4 1032 has much to be proud of
nice, b6 ftw
if your looking for some wheels i have an almost brand new set of black dpe s-20's I'm looking to sell

Old 01-13-2010, 08:58 AM
eddiecut is infamous around these parts
B6 S4 is one of my favs. I cannot wait to trade in the A4 for one...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New owner here, finally picked up my B6 S4...