Audi S4, S6, RS4, RS6, R8 etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Audi RS5 - first photos

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 02:37 PM
Al Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by switchface
How can you say this when the engine/powertrain haven't officially been announced? Then again, with a GT2 and a Kleeman C63, I think it's safe to say that most any car might seem underpowered to what you're used to (nice stable).
When it's officially announced on 3/2/10 @ Geneva, it will have a modified version of the NA FSI V8 from the RS4, with updated intakes, making 450bhp, no turbo's, no SC's, with the only tranny the S-tronic, 7-speed DSG-at least year one. Still uncertain if a 6MT will be available and if it ever makes it to North America.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:25 PM
JonM is a splendid one to beholdJonM is a splendid one to beholdJonM is a splendid one to beholdJonM is a splendid one to beholdJonM is a splendid one to beholdJonM is a splendid one to behold
my guess still stands...

V10 470 Crank..anyone else notice the 5.2.2010 in the dash? Audi seriously needs to put a dent into BMW and Mercedes...and IMO that will more than suffice.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:55 PM
Al Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by JonM
...anyone else notice the 5.2.2010 in the dash?
Yes, the fifth of February, 2010.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:14 PM
SRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud of
its a v10, probably one used in the R8. If you look at the dash, you can see the rev counter, coincidently the red like is identical to the R8 V10.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:27 PM
switchface is infamous around these parts
I doubt they'd throw a v10 in 'essentially' the same platform that already holds a v8, s/c v6, and 2.0t (as I type this, I'm running through the engines that are currently in all of the 6 derivatives and realize my argument might not be valid).

Regardless, it looks like the old displacement horsepower wars between Audi, BMW, and Merc are over. Efficiency, forced induction, and lightweight materials seems to be the direction these days.

Anyone else find it interesting that we get this full brochure 'leaked' with no photos or mention at all about the engine?? If its the tuned v8 everyone has been expecting, why not show it? Why all the delays?

Could we be in for a surprise in Geneva? Isn't speculating fun...

Old 02-21-2010, 07:06 PM
gbaker is infamous around these parts
Looks very nice.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:42 PM
JonM is a splendid one to beholdJonM is a splendid one to beholdJonM is a splendid one to beholdJonM is a splendid one to beholdJonM is a splendid one to beholdJonM is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Al Pettee
Yes, the fifth of February, 2010.
Oh yeah? Or it could stand for 5.2l V10 which is the powerplant in the RS6 R8 S8 S6. February 5th was two weeks ago, and by the time the brochure hits showrooms that date wouldn't have any meaning. I'm 100% sure its a V10, but I only know as much as you guys do. Guess we'll all have to be patient till Geneva.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:23 PM
Jon, when I first drove the S5, I compared it to the BMW 6 series, rather than the 335 as most people were. Taking this alignment further, the M6 has a v10, so why not the same for the RS5?

Old 02-21-2010, 10:34 PM
Definitely agree Chris. The S5 and 6 Series are both Grand Tourers, but having driven a 6 Series the S5 is a bit more sporty (IMO). Hopefully Audi does the right thing...let's keep our fingers crossed they dropped the V10 in there. Also considering costs with adding the V10, one should consider the S6 honestly. Considerably larger car, more amenities and more reason to justify the $76k price tag. Now, if Audi puts the V10 tuned up from the S6, and down from the R8 then we can prolly expect a justified 68-68k price tag with little to any options needed. This route will put Audi with a comfortable premium over the S5, and in well spec'd C63/M3 territory. Once again this is all my opinion, and my hopes...only time will tell

Old 02-21-2010, 10:42 PM
I think we're being overly ambitious to think we're getting a v10 in this thing for $68k. If so...please spec a manual and I'll start putting my deposit money together.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:45 PM
Originally Posted by switchface
I think we're being overly ambitious to think we're getting a v10 in this thing for $68k. If so...please spec a manual and I'll start putting my deposit money together.
I agree it's ambitious, hence the word "hopes" haha. They can drop a V10 in there though....the S6 is a lot more car than an RS5, and if the RS5 is around $70k the S6 is carrying a marginal premium over it.

I honestly won't consider this car though if they only put a tuned/worked 4.2 RS4 engine it it...sad to say I love it, but that will be a deal breaker.

Last edited by JonM; 02-21-2010 at 10:54 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:27 AM
colt45 is a glorious beacon of lightcolt45 is a glorious beacon of lightcolt45 is a glorious beacon of lightcolt45 is a glorious beacon of lightcolt45 is a glorious beacon of light
the car is beautiful but I agree with JonM. if they only put a tuned RS4 engine in it it will be very disappointing. it needs to be V8TT or V10..... anyways we will never see this car in the states. if they wont bring over the TT RS they wont bring this.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:33 AM
slammedM is infamous around these parts
is it only going to be AUTOMATIC?

Old 02-22-2010, 08:47 AM
ApeelinZ is infamous around these parts
Old 02-22-2010, 08:57 AM
cohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud of
don't those pix imply a v8 twin turbo (fsi designation similar to the 3.0 fsi turbo)? i doubt you will see a v10 any more from audi or the other major companies as they try to make their cars more efficient and less polluting. those days are gone imo.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 3.00 average.

Quick Reply: Audi RS5 - first photos