Audi S4, S6, RS4, RS6, R8 etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Audi RS5 - first photos

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 05:12 PM
FR305 is infamous around these parts
THIS will definitely outperform the M3. It looks stunning and the performance figures looks promising. I read on another forum that its 10 sec faster around the Ring than the RS4.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:02 AM
Teutonic_Tamer is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by JonM
Oh yeah? Or it could stand for 5.2l V10 which is the powerplant in the RS6 R8 S8 S6.
Erm, not quite! The RS6 looses 200cc, and gains two turbos over the S6/S8/R8. The official designation for the RS6 motor is a 5.0 TFSI V10, whereas the S6/S8/R8 engine is 5.2 FSI V10.

I'm 100% sure its a V10, but I only know as much as you guys do. Guess we'll all have to be patient till Geneva.
It has already been confirmed as 4.2 FSI V8 - basically the identical engine as the B7 RS4, but the RS5 utilises dual air filters and dual throttle valves (similar to the R8 V8 set-up).

Old 03-05-2010, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by cohenfive
don't those pix imply a v8 twin turbo (fsi designation similar to the 3.0 fsi turbo)?
Nope, not at all. For it to be a twin-turbo, or even a single turbo, there needs to be a T in the engine designation - like 5.0 TFSI V10 or 3.0 TFSI V6.

Last edited by Teutonic_Tamer; 03-05-2010 at 09:32 AM. Reason: added image
Old 03-05-2010, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow
the RS5 is a totally different animal when it comes to its driving physics and handling.
the engine placement, Torque-Vectoring together with the new sport differential** lead to insane traction on one hand while generating a yaw moment which aids cornering. the car should be a bomb on a track and should provide much more driving fun (than its predecessor, the RS4), while being far more efficient.
the car is much more than just a more powerful 2-door version of the RS4 predecessor imho.

O'rly - the new centre diff is an unknown at the moment. But the 'Torque Vectoring' is basically just an electronic rear axle diff - similar to an LSD, but working in a pro-active way rather than a re-active way.

And I take it you havn't actually driven a B7 RS4 in anger - because that can certainly generate a rearwards biased yaw, as can the C6 RS6. This RS5 has an identical engine to the B7 RS4, save for a different dual tract inlet system - so unless the RS5 has gone on a serious diet - I strongly doubt it will perform any better than the RS4.

** the differential can widely vary the distribution of torque between the front and rear axles. If necessary, up to 70 percent can flow to the front or as much as 85 percent toward the tail end. The 40:60 ratio of the standard rear-biased configuration ensures sporty handling.

So actually, this new centre diff is actually WORSE than the Torsen T-3 in the B7 RS4. The RS4 can apportion upto 80%, or upto 100% to the rear . . . . For this new centre diff to be on a par with the Torsen T-3, they need to increase its torque bias ratio.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:46 AM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
first lap times will tell the truth. i am pretty sure it will kick the predecessor´s ***.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:49 AM
That vid is just superb - especially when the white Ur Quattro joins in.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:52 AM
first lap times will tell the truth. i am pretty sure it will kick the predecessor´s ***.
By what 'definition' - the new 7-speed DSG will certainly help with acceleration, but on say a lateral G test, or a V-max test - there will be very little in it.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:09 AM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
that´s why i am hoping that "Sportauto" will put it to one of its "Supertests" on the Ring, cause they are testing everything.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:37 AM
that´s why i am hoping that "Sportauto" will put it to one of its "Supertests" on the Ring, cause they are testing everything.
Well, you are in Germany - maybe you can knock up yourself a press pass in photoshop, then blag one for a weekend!

Old 03-05-2010, 12:10 PM
yeah, worth a try. the Ring is not too far away from me (about 80miles).

Old 03-08-2010, 12:40 PM
more pictures from the geneva auto show:

Old 03-08-2010, 08:15 PM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
Cant wait till the RS5 gets the USA intro and dealers can start ordering them.. I think my two local dealers are getting tired of me pestering them .... WHEN????????????????????

Old 03-08-2010, 08:28 PM
torment has much to be proud oftorment has much to be proud oftorment has much to be proud oftorment has much to be proud oftorment has much to be proud oftorment has much to be proud oftorment has much to be proud oftorment has much to be proud oftorment has much to be proud oftorment has much to be proud of
Disappointing....thought it would be something better than the RS4, but its not really much of a performance improvement....seems more aesthetic than anything. 317lb-ft isn't enough for such a heavy car.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:41 PM
Genesismotoring is infamous around these parts
my guess still stands...

V10 470 Crank..anyone else notice the 5.2.2010 in the dash? Audi seriously needs to put a dent into BMW and Mercedes...and IMO that will more than suffice.
Can't speak to ALL European countries but MANY of them write the date out DAY-MONTH-YEAR, I think that is what you are seeing.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:19 AM
Originally Posted by SRatha
its a v10, probably one used in the R8. If you look at the dash, you can see the rev counter, coincidently the red like is identical to the R8 V10.
. . . . which is exactly the same as the 4.2 FSI V8 . . . .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 3.00 average.

Quick Reply: Audi RS5 - first photos