Audi S4, S6, RS4, RS6, R8 etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Audi Drive Select vs Sports Rear Differential HELP PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 06:58 PM
crhait has a spectacular aura aboutcrhait has a spectacular aura aboutcrhait has a spectacular aura about
Audi Drive Select vs Sports Rear Differential HELP PLEASE!

Hello all, need some advise please...

Looking at 2010 S4 options; Drive Select (3900.) vs Sports Rear Diff (1100.)

Anyone up on the difference? Sales guy tells me not to order Drive Select and save the $, just order the Sports Rear Diff. He said it does the same thing, ??? I'm a bit confused as on line it says it's different does dampining etc.

Going crazy here...is it really a waist of money or is it worth it?

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Ron.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:56 PM
adeeois is infamous around these parts
Sport Diff is a stand alone option. Drive select is a package that includes the Sport Diff plus Drive Select. DS includes "adaptive suspension", "dynamic steering" and controls transmission shifting characteristics & engine response. It gives you 3 preset driving modes (comfort auto & dynamic) to to chose from or you can program a custom mode to fit your driving style. I got the DS package and like it.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:00 PM
ET550 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by crhait
Hello all, need some advise please...

Looking at 2010 S4 options; Drive Select (3900.) vs Sports Rear Diff (1100.)

Anyone up on the difference? Sales guy tells me not to order Drive Select and save the $, just order the Sports Rear Diff. He said it does the same thing, ??? I'm a bit confused as on line it says it's different does dampining etc.

Going crazy here...is it really a waist of money or is it worth it?

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Ron.
Assuming its the same as in the 2010 S5 Cab, the sports differential package is an $1100 option which in addtion to the differential offers driver select control of the engine/transmission calibration and the differential. The Driver select package is a $3950 option which includes the foregoing plus it gives you the adaptive suspension damping system and variable assist steering ratios. So it just depends whether the suspension damping and variable assist steering is worth another $2850 to you. I personally would opt just for the sport rear diff as much better bang for the buck, but i don't know how you intend to use the car.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:59 AM
Teutonic_Tamer is infamous around these parts
What about fitting a Quaife or a Stasis ATB diff in the rear - gotta be cheaper than the Audi diff - and will perform better too!

Old 03-05-2010, 06:08 PM
legbend is infamous around these parts
You'll get the same engine, steering and throttle settings with the Sports Rear Diff as you do with the ADS, you just don't have the suspension settings. Personally, I don't think the Drive Select is worth it, but the Rear Diff is a must.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:19 PM
crhait has a spectacular aura aboutcrhait has a spectacular aura aboutcrhait has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ET550
Assuming its the same as in the 2010 S5 Cab, the sports differential package is an $1100 option which in addtion to the differential offers driver select control of the engine/transmission calibration and the differential. The Driver select package is a $3950 option which includes the foregoing plus it gives you the adaptive suspension damping system and variable assist steering ratios. So it just depends whether the suspension damping and variable assist steering is worth another $2850 to you. I personally would opt just for the sport rear diff as much better bang for the buck, but i don't know how you intend to use the car.
this will be my daily driver...but I drive 25K plus a year!...now thinking of Bilstein B16 as I have seen on another thread, looks great but
relilibility is a big concern for me so not sure. You just cant beat stock for relilibility.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by legbend
You'll get the same engine, steering and throttle settings with the Sports Rear Diff as you do with the ADS, you just don't have the suspension settings. Personally, I don't think the Drive Select is worth it, but the Rear Diff is a must.
I am beginning to agree with you. thanks

Old 03-05-2010, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by legbend
You cannot adjust the steering ratios with the Sports Rear Diff. That capability only comes with the Driver Select package.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:22 AM
Teutonic_Tamer is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ET550
You cannot adjust the steering ratios with the Sports Rear Diff. That capability only comes with the Driver Select package.
Is that such a big deal? The variable assistance on the servotronic power steering is pretty much spot on in the B7 RS4 - so I really can't think it would make that much difference. And if you were desparately unhappy with the RS5 standard settings without the DS pack, then the assistance rate can sometimes be tweaked via VCDS.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:04 AM
adeeois is infamous around these parts
Sport Diff & DS are Audi's Options. Some folks will go with the Sport Diff others will chose the DS. There's no right or wrong, you simply chose the one that fits your driving style and budget. Like toys, get the DS. Plan on track time or $ conscious, get the Sport Diff. Or chose neither and go with a after market Diff. It's simply a personal preference decision.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by Teutonic_Tamer
Is that such a big deal? The variable assistance on the servotronic power steering is pretty much spot on in the B7 RS4 - so I really can't think it would make that much difference. And if you were desparately unhappy with the RS5 standard settings without the DS pack, then the assistance rate can sometimes be tweaked via VCDS.
No, I don't think its a big deal or a necessity. I was merely correcting the prior poster. In fact I indicated in my prior post I was in favor of just ordering the Sports Rear diff and not spending the extra money for the ADS package.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:49 PM
spooling is infamous around these parts
What if I'm ordering the 2013 s4 without the rear diff? Or the ds? Will it feel numb?

Old 12-30-2011, 02:31 PM
thebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by spooling
What if I'm ordering the 2013 s4 without the rear diff? Or the ds? Will it feel numb?

I have a loaded 2010 S4 as my DD. 17K miles in two years. I would never order an S4 without the active rear diff or the ADS. You can genuinely feel the active rear diff help rotate the car under power and the ADS is really useful when the road surfaces change for the worse. YMMV.
Bish