Audi S4, S6, RS4, RS6, R8 etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Has anyone who owned an E46 M3 moved to/from an Audi S4?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 12:23 PM
Dreamliner is infamous around these parts
Has anyone who owned an E46 M3 moved to/from an Audi S4?

I am considering buying a 2006(?) Audi S4 and just got rid of my 2004 BMW M3. I am just curious about whether or not anyone on here has experience with both cars. Your thoughts?

Old 05-08-2010, 12:25 PM
One of Twenty is infamous around these parts
Moved from a twin-turbo S4, the B5, into the E46, then into a 993TT and now an RS6. Did not like the sweet spot in the E46 (high up in the rpm band) and missed the instant delivery of boost. Can't say that I'll ever return to non-boosted power.

Old 05-08-2010, 12:30 PM
Dreamliner is infamous around these parts
Yeah, I really missed the sound and power delivery of a turbo car with my E46. Thanks for the post.

Any recommendations for which year of the S4 I should look into? I haven't done much research yet as I won't be buying for a while.

Old 05-08-2010, 01:27 PM
AlpineEcstasy is infamous around these parts
I've got the e46, and a good friend has the S4. Personally I prefer the car I've got, but I'm all about pure N/A power and I've learned how to really utilize the M3's powerband. The M3 is just so raw with it's engine and I love it.

His car is great though, and I'm not going to discredit it at all. Both cars are very good options.

Old 05-08-2010, 03:18 PM
xoutofstepx is infamous around these parts
What motor would you like?

B5=2.7TT
B6/B7=4.2 V8
B8=3.0SC

It all depends on what you are looking to spend and how much you want to mod.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:34 PM
The Iceman is infamous around these parts
I have an M3 ..dinan everything.. . Its fast , loud , great on the track . I'd just go for a spin in it just to hear the throaty exhaust note .

I bought an s4 , have spent 2 weeks straight doing mods ...... and .....its not an m3 my m3 is barbaric , i look forward to driving it anywhere !!! the s4 is different .its a great car ...just not as fun. maybe i should have forked out a little more for the rs4.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:06 PM
ruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to behold
Have those exact cars...totally different cars. The audi doesn't have the responsiveness, feel or tightness an M has to begin with. I would go with the M unless you need awd or 4 doors. I will say that the v8 sound of the S4 is better than the e46 anyday(stock to stock they both suck..Im talking about with aftermarket exhausts)

Old 05-12-2010, 12:15 AM
JonM is a splendid one to beholdJonM is a splendid one to beholdJonM is a splendid one to beholdJonM is a splendid one to beholdJonM is a splendid one to beholdJonM is a splendid one to behold
Old 05-12-2010, 09:16 AM
skiS4fun is infamous around these parts
I had an E36 M3 for years. Great solid fun car. However, with all the skiing I do, the M3 is useless in the snow, thats why I went with the S4.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:32 AM
sakimano is infamous around these partssakimano is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Dreamliner
Yeah, I really missed the sound and power delivery of a turbo car with my E46. Thanks for the post.

Any recommendations for which year of the S4 I should look into? I haven't done much research yet as I won't be buying for a while.
Get a 2007 or 2008 if you can swing it. Otherwise 2006.

The 2005.5 is basically the 2003-2005 model with the updated body, but missed out on a few goodies. The 2007-2008 got a few more goodies, all thanks to the RS4 development.

JHM (jhmotorsports.com) is the best company for mods on these cars.

If you upgrade your intake manifold, go 2.5" downpipes, go 2.5" x-pipe catback and get the JHM tune you'll start to see performance gains that are significant.

The car, in stock form, runs about 13.8 @ 102mph in the quarter mile. JHM's in house all motor shop car runs 12.7 @ 112mph. That's a drastic difference for a naturally aspirated 3800lb car. They're as fast as an R8 and faster than an RS4. Total cost of the mods on their car is about $8,000+labour. This includes:
  • JHM modified intake manifold
  • longtube headers (beautiful, handmade)
  • 2.5" Fast Intentions resonated x-pipe catback exhaust
  • JHM 91octane tune
  • Porsche Cayenne front BBK with JHM LW rotors
  • JHM LW crank pulley
  • JHM intake spacers
They shaved a bit of weight as well with a lightweight battery and no spare tire, but otherwise, it's stock. The car is daily driven by the wife of the J in JHM (Jay Harbinson I think is his name).

They have also developed 2 significant power adders

1. nitrous kit
2. twin GT turbo kit with forged internals

The nitrous kit is a 70shot and really transforms the car. Making some 400whp (all wheels) and 500 awtq. Total cost should be in the $3000-3750 range.

The twin GT turbo kit is still in testing, however if motivated, you can step up. Total cost should be in the $15,000-18,000 range depending what else you add.

Last edited by sakimano; 05-14-2010 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:24 AM
Sleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by ruffinit
Have those exact cars...totally different cars. The audi doesn't have the responsiveness, feel or tightness an M has to begin with. I would go with the M unless you need awd or 4 doors. I will say that the v8 sound of the S4 is better than the e46 anyday(stock to stock they both suck..Im talking about with aftermarket exhausts)
I disagree 100% the e46 M3 sounds very similar to some exotics with a tingy sharp note. Not trying to ruffle feathers but that is one of the things I truly enjoyed about my e46 M3. They backed off that on the new E90 model while Mercedes completely stepped up with a monster exhaust note on the new C63 ! Bizzare. Audi even with the RS4 can't compare.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:26 AM
sakimano is infamous around these partssakimano is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Sleepy996
I disagree 100% the e46 M3 sounds very similar to some exotics with a tingy sharp note. Not trying to ruffle feathers but that is one of the things I truly enjoyed about my e46 M3. They backed off that on the new E90 model while Mercedes completely stepped up with a monster exhaust note on the new C63 ! Bizzare. Audi even with the RS4 can't compare.

so, you're saying the E46 M3 (the Euro sports sedan with the most notoriously sad exhaust note...as a grand majority of owners will agree) sounds better than the E9X M3 and the RS4?

I'm sure you know this, as you're on 6speedonline, but the E9X M3 wasn't 'backed off'...it's a V8, and it sounds incredible. So does the RS4. So does the C63. The E46 exhaust note is an out of control tinny raspy mess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfOb57I_c8A
funny, the E46 sounds REMARKABLY like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx09anLP79k

Last edited by sakimano; 05-14-2010 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:51 AM
Sleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by sakimano
so, you're saying the E46 M3 (the Euro sports sedan with the most notoriously sad exhaust note...as a grand majority of owners will agree) sounds better than the E9X M3 and the RS4?

I'm sure you know this, as you're on 6speedonline, but the E9X M3 wasn't 'backed off'...it's a V8, and it sounds incredible. So does the RS4. So does the C63. The E46 exhaust note is an out of control tinny raspy mess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfOb57I_c8A
funny, the E46 sounds REMARKABLY like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx09anLP79k

If you read my entire post I stated that the C63 AMG does indeed have a great exhaust note which was a big step for MB compared to the previous C class AMG models. I enjoyed the raspy tinny exhaust note of the E46 M3 when I had it however this is only my opinion and with you being a Audi guy I can understand why you would want to challenge me on this topic but I am tired and going back to bed maybe another day !

Old 05-18-2010, 06:28 AM
Efterlyst27 is infamous around these partsEfterlyst27 is infamous around these partsEfterlyst27 is infamous around these partsEfterlyst27 is infamous around these partsEfterlyst27 is infamous around these partsEfterlyst27 is infamous around these partsEfterlyst27 is infamous around these parts
The only real clear advantage the S4 has over the M3 is Quattro. In every other aspect I dont feel its nearly as good as the M3. Ive driven a B5 S4 across the country and it seriously did not feel planted at all. I got scared to go over 100 because it just did not feel stable. That was back in 2003 when the car was semi new. Plus this car has zero exhaust note. None. With the M3 I felt I could do 180 and drink a cup of tea. Yeah, it was that good as I'm sure you know. For all the Audi drivers, I really suggest stealing your friends M3 and taking it to the track. You'll be singing a different tune very quickly.

Then you move on to the B6/B7 S4. I got to take one home for the weekend. Nogaro blue uber sexy. I almost traded my M3 for this. Key word - almost. The car lacked true sports car feel and was heavy. I'd say the car was quick, but no where near what I was used to feeling in the M3.

Lastly if you don't need awd then don't get it. I felt it almost bogged me down when beating on the car. With RWD you have more play with and better driving response. You can sense when the rear will slide, its truly a great feeling when racing.

I dont have any experience with the brand new 3.0 TT S4. I'll just assume its a B5 on steroids. amirite?

Last edited by Efterlyst27; 05-18-2010 at 06:31 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:00 PM
imlowlife is infamous around these parts
this is my 01.5 (B5) S4 JHMotorsports dual 2.5inch downpipes cat/back w/ BW K04's

NON - Piggie

JHMotorsport duel 2.5inch downpipes cat/back

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Has anyone who owned an E46 M3 moved to/from an Audi S4?