Audi S4, S6, RS4, RS6, R8 etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Shiny, Creased Convertible Top

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 12:32 PM
Location: Split my time between Miami, Sanibel & Woodstock, VT
SanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant future
Shiny, Creased Convertible Top

I realize that there aren't many R8 Spyders in existence much less represented here, but has anyone else encountered the problems pictured here? My car is only 3 months old, is always garaged, and the top is usually folded and out of sight so I don't understand why it shows these shiny spots (like an over-ironed pair of dress pants) and creases. I've never folded the top while wet or even damp so I know it isn't that (though I don't recall when I first noticed these issues as they may have come with the car and just went unnoticed, so I suppose the dealer could have put the top down wet). More importantly, what can I do about it? Any and all suggestions are welcome & appreciated.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:39 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
as with all convertible tops, you should have it in up position to avoid creases that can cause accelerated wear.

the shine marks are due to pressure points when folded.

neither issue is a problem and will eventually go away or become less noticeable if you leave the top up while parked. if it concerns you, a steam machine will smooth out the creases. careful not to use an iron though.

keep the top washed (wash top in similar way as with the rest of the car) and clean (with a pet hair roller). waterproof it every 6 mo with a rag top spray that has UV protection. Raggtop makes a good product. Porsche sells a good spray too. clean the top of any bird dropping ASAP and avoid extended exposure to the elements.

Last edited by djantlive; 03-05-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:42 PM
Location: Split my time between Miami, Sanibel & Woodstock, VT
SanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant future
Thanks! :-D