Audi S4, S6, RS4, RS6, R8 etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Ordered TT-RS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 04:57 PM
tranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by ColinAndrews
As I posted above, you are confusing turbo lag with boost threshold. "Turbo lag" is not the portion of the powerband where there are not enough exhaust gasses to create boost.
Aren't you just arguing semantics (calling it 'turbo lag' vs 'rpm threshold')? In any event, it is directly related to the turbo and there is a gap between the time you press the gas to when the car actually moves, right?

I haven't driven the TTRS but all I know is that the TTS has a 'turbo-related gap' issue in low revs.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:46 PM
KK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by tranquility
Aren't you just arguing semantics (calling it 'turbo lag' vs 'rpm threshold')? In any event, it is directly related to the turbo and there is a gap between the time you press the gas to when the car actually moves, right?

I haven't driven the TTRS but all I know is that the TTS has a 'turbo-related gap' issue in low revs.
Well-said. Period.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:02 PM
KK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by saeyedoc
You would think a DSG gearbox would help lag,not hurt it, by keeping the revs in the boost range while shifting. Anyone know if a dual-clutch will be offered in the TTRS?
I too am in the market soon, need to replace my 335i this summer when I turn it in. Currently leaning towards an '09 Cayman S with PDK, but considering a CPO '09+ M3 Coupe and am open to other options.
This will be a DD for me, some considerable traffic to deal with, so trying to keep it to dual-clutch vehicles.
Agree that the DSG does not appear to be coming in the TTRS. For outright 3 1/2 season performance (snow tires required) I don't think there is a better car than the '10 Cayman S/ PDK (hugely better than the '09). Absolutely brilliant, better dynamics than a 911. Biggest downside is the price.

09 M3 would also be superb and arguably the best all-around DD/Sports car ever made. Great double clutch, SMG (not so much if you're deciding on model years).

That being said, I plan to keep the 911 as I've made it a track-beast and the TTRS will be a true 4 season (I could skimp on the winter tires depending on where I'm at that winter) with great every day practicality. Should its price creep up to that of a Cayman S, I'd go for the Porsche. Best part of the Audi is that it undercuts the Cayman a bit and quattro.

The Cayman is Ballet, beautiful, poised, balanced, svelte power. The TTRS is Tango, finesse, braggadocio, sweat. Each brilliant, but inherently different.

Last edited by KK Moto; 03-12-2011 at 06:20 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:00 PM
Peter1.8t has much to be proud ofPeter1.8t has much to be proud ofPeter1.8t has much to be proud ofPeter1.8t has much to be proud ofPeter1.8t has much to be proud ofPeter1.8t has much to be proud ofPeter1.8t has much to be proud ofPeter1.8t has much to be proud ofPeter1.8t has much to be proud of
I never thought the TTS had bad lag when I drove it. I just knew it was a small displacement motor, so it takes time to build the boost. It drove pretty much the same as the old a4 1.8t I had. Below 2800rpm the car was gutless, but above that it was fun and had lots of personality. Overall a very good engine.

As far as the TTRS, not much has been released as far as the size of the turbo so we dont know it will be as laggy. It should drive a lot smoother than the 2.0t with the extra half liter of displacement, however, stock it will be pushing 17psi out of the snail.

Let us know what you think of it once you get the car.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:40 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
They tested the TT-RS recently vs the Gallardo LP560-4 and the Carrera 4S over here.
TT-RS finnished second overall behind the Gallardo. TT-RS was slower than the G
but very close to the 4S on the track, if it`d have had the brakes of a Carrera it would have beaten the Porsche.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:21 PM
saeyedoc is infamous around these partssaeyedoc is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by KK Moto
For outright 3 1/2 season performance (snow tires required) I don't think there is a better car than the '10 Cayman S/ PDK (hugely better than the '09). .
Why? Major changes were in 2009. I don't know of any significant changes from '09-'10.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:39 AM
Originally Posted by saeyedoc
Why? Major changes were in 2009. I don't know of any significant changes from '09-'10.
I could be wrong but I am pretty sure the major change was in 2010 model year for the US. The new front & rear fascia and, most-importantly the horsepower bump. I was holding out in 2009 for the 2010 availability, had one spec'd out, completely custom. The price of mine was ~75. This coincided with the height of the recession and Porsche was not moving cars, my dealer offered my almost 20k off a 911S, which put it very close to my Cayman S order.

I had an 07 Cayman S manual and it was fantastic, I just wanted more power and when it became available, I went to order one; just came home with a 911.

There has to be someone around here that can chime in to second you or I.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:08 PM
Dr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of light
The Cayman S 'facelift' was with the 2009 model year. PDK was offered, the engine was updated to direct injection, and the HP went up to 320. Same with the Boxster S, but it's only 310 HP. The 2009 base Cayman and Boxster do not have direct injection engines for whatever reason. The 2009 + Cayman S is an amazing car! If you get the PDK, make sure to get the Sport Chrono option - it really showcases the performance of the transmission. (owned one for a while)

In the US, the TT-RS will only be offered with a 6-speed manual transmission. In Europe, they can order the new 7-speed DSG. I believe it was offered with the 2010 model year, although it may be 2011. Confusing as the model coming here is a 2012 model. I've spoken with my dealer a few times and may order one when the pricing is announced.

I currently own a TT-S coupe. There is a noticeable acceleration lag from a stop (how's that for avoiding the confusing terminology ), however once the car is moving it's fine. Just a little annoying for me, but not a major issue. However, once I had the ECU flashed, that was greatly reduced. Not sure if the throttle was remapped or what electronic magic they did, but it really helped. It was the APR ECU flash for 91 octane pump gas. They also have a flash available for the TT-RS which will be the first thing I do if I end up ordering one.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the correction. I was clearly mistaken on the year of the Cayman S update.

When I got my TTS there were exceptionally few possibilities for ECU remapping, since the euro-only S3 was the only similar configuration. I did attempt a remap and while a good effort it turned out to be a mac or PC requirement with a sloppy install and never worked. It appears there are many options now. Agree that once the TTS is mobile it's a great package and why I'm excited to get another in RS moniker. I also think the manual will be an asset in this iteration.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:09 AM
arm1tage is infamous around these parts
It's true the TTS does lag noticeably. If you aren't used to driving turbo cars, like me, it takes a long time to get used to. A remap & downpipe helps a lot. So does a Sprint Booster believe it or not. As it stands my car is modded to slightly faster than a stock TTRS but no more power can be squeezed out.

If I had the chance I would upgrade to the TTRS as well. The 2.5 motor is based on the Jetta motor which has gobs of torque down low, so no lag with the turbo. Too bad no S-Tronic though.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:41 AM
RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KK Moto
I know, but I like pop-up books. Immediate gratification
hahahaha