Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Audi TTRS, Porsche Boxster Spyder, or Lotus Exige s260 final edition

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 04:43 PM
CarFan21 is infamous around these parts
Audi TTRS, Porsche Boxster Spyder, or Lotus Exige s260 final edition

Any thoughts as to which would be a better buy? The goal is to have a fun semi daily driver with track potential. Drive comfort is not really a concern nor is a fully functioning roof. The goal here is to find out which would be best to cruise around in locally and take to the track. I know the pros and cons for the most part of owning any of them, I just need some outside opinions.

Old 10-02-2011, 05:16 PM
jacx920 is infamous around these parts
TTRS by far, porsche coxster and lotus can't compare power wise, and especially with a tune on the ttrs you can approach 500 to the crank, and I'm pretty sure its not that much more expensive. lotus my have it in the handling department but audi is much better for daily- 100x better interior and refined.

Old 10-02-2011, 05:17 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
I'm really liking this new TTRS especially with the Euro tranny were not going to get here stateside. The 5cylinder is quite unique and no doubt full of potential with a software update from the likes of APR or EPL.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:49 PM
CarFan21 is infamous around these parts
I do have plans to upgrade whichever car I choose to purchase. I'm looking at an APR ECU (among other things) for the Audi and the TPC turbo kit for the Porsche. I'm not sure what I would do to the Lotus upgrade wise. That said, with the upgrades in question the cars should have similar performance numbers.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:07 PM
AMG101 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by CarFan21
I do have plans to upgrade whichever car I choose to purchase. I'm looking at an APR ECU (among other things) for the Audi and the TPC turbo kit for the Porsche. I'm not sure what I would do to the Lotus upgrade wise. That said, with the upgrades in question the cars should have similar performance numbers.
Not exactly true, when you modify a turbo engine you will get amazing results,
Ex: My A4, 2.0t stock 200hp
Mod: APR Stage 2 chip
= 270+hp with no problems

The spyder has a pretty free flowing exhaust so that "upgrade" my not be worth it in the performance aspect and $$$
My vote?
TTR-S, It will def be unique and sound great!

Old 10-03-2011, 10:44 AM
jjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to behold
track car- lotus
daily driver- ttrs
mixed use- cayman s

dont buy a vert for track day use. lotus is going to be a fairly hardcore daily driver, trust me i owned one. ttrs is nice..

Old 10-03-2011, 10:58 AM
MR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by AMG101
Not exactly true, when you modify a turbo engine you will get amazing results,
Ex: My A4, 2.0t stock 200hp
Mod: APR Stage 2 chip
= 270+hp with no problems

The spyder has a pretty free flowing exhaust so that "upgrade" my not be worth it in the performance aspect and $$$
My vote?
TTR-S, It will def be unique and sound great!
I think you missed the part where he said he would put the TPC turbo kit on the Spyder, which raises output to around 480hp..

I vote Spyder! Yes I'm slightly biased, but before it decided on it I almost got an Exige. The Exige is a fantastic driving machine but certain not daily drivable unless you're extremely hardcore. Getting in and out of the Exige is quite a challenge especially if you're tall like me..One of the reasons why I opted for the adjustable sport seats in the Spyder. The driving experience is completely unrefined, and ambient cabin noise makes conversation at any speed very difficult.
While I haven't driven the TTRS I will admit it does have bigger brakes and more power, but there's a reason for that... it's 500 lbs heavier than the Spyder!

Also don't let the manual top scare you. It's really not a big deal to put up and take down, and it's very comfortable inside during foul weather. There's a reason why numerous people have named the Spyder the best handling car for under $100k

Old 10-03-2011, 02:03 PM
colt45 is a glorious beacon of lightcolt45 is a glorious beacon of lightcolt45 is a glorious beacon of lightcolt45 is a glorious beacon of lightcolt45 is a glorious beacon of light
yeah I say TTRS all day.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:58 PM
gaspasser19 is infamous around these parts
Cayman R

Old 10-05-2011, 07:57 AM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by gaspasser19
Cayman R
That wasn't on the menu, +1
I hear these are amazing cars

Old 10-05-2011, 08:04 AM
gaspasser19 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Etchhead
That wasn't on the menu, +1
I hear these are amazing cars
You're correct but the OP is comparing apples to oranges and I wanted him to try another apple. The Spyder is a nice toy but the Cayman R was built to appease the mid-engine Porschephiles who want to track their street car. It's an obvious choice to at least consider.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:28 AM
Robb53 is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up Audi TT RS vs Lotus Vs Caymen R

I just took delivery of an Audi TT RS after 24 months of waiting as I ordered it the day I Took delivery of my TTS in 09. That said, I sold my Lotus Elise with Katana Supercharger, AP Huge brakes, Nitron shocks, balanced, totally set up for Track and also street able because I wanted this TT RS. The Lotus was the most amazing track car and mine, with right driver, would embarrass most cars on the track. I only used it 4 or so times a year at the track and daily driving it was impossible so an Exige would be worse as to visibility.

I have driven Caymens and considered the Caymen R and almost changed my mind at the last minute.. and to respond to your question THE AUDI TT RS is one of the most amazing cars built today. As for the balance to drive daily and then go to the track it cannot be better. They are reliable and the build quality is = or better than the Porsche, I have owned 11 as well.

The car is neutral and the 4 wheel drive will make u look like a pro and also it rains here in MA. I would not hesitate getting the TTRS if you can even get one.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:24 PM
lithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud of
If top down driving is on check list, then spyder is it. If you don't care for top down driving, get the cayman. Top on v. off really the only difference between these 2 cars, unless you're Patrick Long.
The TTRS, b/c of use of turbo, is extremely tunable. And because it has an awd system, it'll have no problem laying down the hp to the pavement. on streets, awd system is great to live with, in any weather. On track, awd lets you get on gas sooner than any of the other options. G'luck!

Old 10-10-2011, 12:06 AM
pcarczar is infamous around these parts
http://www.excellence-mag.com/issues...ase-track-test

Spyder, believe me, the TT-RS may be in the same class of car number wise. But to own it is not even in the same league.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:17 AM
MR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to behold
this video goes with that article http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YwG2wD69P4

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Audi TTRS, Porsche Boxster Spyder, or Lotus Exige s260 final edition