Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2012 S5 and a sore back

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 05:43 PM
mphgsp is infamous around these parts
2012 S5 and a sore back

I really hate to admit to this but my back is killing me when I put anytime in my car. I do put a lot of miles on this vehicle (11,000 since Sept.) I have adjusted the seat in just about every configuration there is and still not able to find a position that keeps my lower back feeling good.
Anyone else suffering? Any suggestions to help?
I love this car and would really hate to send it down the road for this.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:41 PM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry to hear! I'm 5'-17" and have had two back operations (L5S1 both times) and I find the seats in my S5 really comfortable although I don't do nearly the miles you do (mine is lowered too, so it's pretty stiff...). Have you tried using the heated seats to ease the pain? I find that works well for me whenever I have back pain while driving.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:36 PM
Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mphgsp
I really hate to admit to this but my back is killing me when I put anytime in my car. I do put a lot of miles on this vehicle (11,000 since Sept.) I have adjusted the seat in just about every configuration there is and still not able to find a position that keeps my lower back feeling good.
Anyone else suffering? Any suggestions to help?
I love this car and would really hate to send it down the road for this.
Find a Hot Rod builder and ask who they use for their upolhster (sp). The Custom Car community will almost always have custom seats and a craftsmen will be able to take apart, refoam, shave foam, use a stiffer/softer foam, contour and add more support, take away pinch points and enlarge bolsters until the seat fits you like a custom tailored suit. Some even offer the foam tub like open wheel cars where they sit you on a bag then pour a quick setting foam into the bag that expands and forms a negative "*** casting" of your back, flanks and bottom and then they build off of this.

My neighbor who was a Pro NFL lineman for a short stint (think 6'5" - 290lbs) has to have this done to all his cars because standard OEM seats cause him pain. They pinch him in the wrong places, are too narrow, and cannot support his weight.

The other solution which often works is to go to a speed shop and sit in a few Sparco or Recaro seats. Recaros that come from the factory are built more to specs of that manufacturer then Recaro's design. Recaro/Sparco will have a multitude of cushioning levels, support, and bolster options far beyond what the OEM seat offers.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:36 AM
mphgsp is infamous around these parts
Thanks Heist, I will look into the after market seats. I'm 6'2" 200 lbs with 34" inseam so maybe working with the aftermarket world will help keep the S5 in the stable.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:04 AM
Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mphgsp
Thanks Heist, I will look into the after market seats. I'm 6'2" 200 lbs with 34" inseam so maybe working with the aftermarket world will help keep the S5 in the stable.
Same boat for me. Although I'm not particularly tall or heavy (5'9.5" - 180lbs), I have long legs (33") inseam and find that almost without exclusion, American car seats almost never fit me well. The cushion is too short and the support too soft in GM's and uncomfortably firm in Fords.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:48 PM
rnp614 is infamous around these parts
lumbar cushion from sharper image or brookstone will make life so much better. Thats what I use in my car and now I'm golden.