Audi S4, S6, RS4, RS6, R8 etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

TTRS + AD08's + Pagid Blues + Alignment + Comp Haldex

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 08:27 PM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
TTRS + AD08's + Pagid Blues + Alignment + Comp Haldex

I just picked the car up from my local tuner.

The stock tires and brakes did not last long. Not long at all. Embarrassing considering my Aston is at 13,000 kms with the original tires and brakes with only 1/2 day less time at the track. The TTRS lasted 1800 kms.

So the good stuff, mind you I have only driven it on the local roads, so I will give a much better report after I go to the track this wekend.

Tires, so much better than the stock Toyo tires. The car immediately felt pointier and connected to the road. I have not noticed any extra noise so far. I honestly believe this car would have gotten a much better time and review with proper tires on it. Can't wait to see what happens at the track.

Brakes, too soon to tell if they are going to be better at the track, though they will be. They have been fine on the street so fa. A slight bit of squeal, but not much to worry about compared to the stock brakes before a track day. Those were far worse. I fitted the car with high temp brake fluid and a new set of rotors as well.

Alignment, can't really say yet. The car feels a little pointier, but thats likely placebo effect. Its not worse in any way, so thats good.

The Haldex is a comp unit and I cant feel any difference driving it on the street. Thats a good thing as I was unsure how it would be day to day. This is likely a mod that works much closer to the limit.

Track day will tell me if my money was well spent.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:22 PM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
Lonely post, but here are my thoughts for anyone who finds it.

The Yokohama AD08's are excellent. Tire temps were WAY down for the Toyo's, even though I was pulling faster laps. I saw my speeds increase, possibly due to the increased traction. Faster exit speeds let me get on the gas earlier.

Changing the pads is a must, so is high temp brake fluid. I actually think I never fully embraced the new pads on the track. I kept to old muscle memory, but I think there was more there. Fade did not happen this time out.

The track alignment appeared to make a difference. Tire temps were far more even across tread. The car felt more keen to turn in, it also felt more stable during heavy breaking.

Okay the Haldex. I did not notice it at first, but it became apparent when I really pushed. At first I was not a fan, the car became too tail happy. Less controlled, the rear started to really slide around, and not in a linear way like my Aston. This was more hair triggered. I had to be less ham fistedcwith my driving nthe TTRS in stock form was masking/encouraging bad behavior. I had to drive it like an AWD car, but feather it more like a RWD. I had to be aware of the rear of the car. It's funny how this car makes you forget what's happening behind the driver.

So, what happened next? I settled into it, and turned four personal best times!! I was 0.5 seconds faster than my personal best on most laps. For ultimate bragging rights, it's not as much of a win, but it was faster and way more consistent. Inthinknthere is more time in there for me to exploit.

Haldex Competition: it's a very interesting mod. On the street, nothing. At speed you can feel it working. The push out of corners works wonders, especially high speed drifts. Honestly makes the car feel much more RWD. At times I would hear a mechanical sound that was similar to a skid plate bottoming out. A kind of chirping, is this binding? It happens right after a hot corner entry.

Overall this was my favorite outing in the TTRS. I think there is more on tap for me to exploit. I'm likely the thing that needs upgrading most.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:22 AM
DesertCaymanS is infamous around these parts
Sounds similar to my experience - TT RS is like most all wheel drive vehicles. Brake early, precise turn in, keep suspension settled, gas early and power out at insane exit speeds - keep it smooth with no harsh transition on or off gas or brakes.Try a set of the PZero Troffeo's (245/35-19 - 68 tread wear rating) and the grip is incredable.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:46 PM
brake vibration

After my track day I have noticed vibration when braking. Brand new rotors, so I'm really hoping they are not heat warped. Is it possible the pads have left residue that will wear away?

Old 05-02-2012, 11:50 AM
Pov TTRS is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by black penguin
After my track day I have noticed vibration when braking. Brand new rotors, so I'm really hoping they are not heat warped. Is it possible the pads have left residue that will wear away?

Good chance they are warped. STD ttrs brake setup is crap

Old 05-02-2012, 03:49 PM
warped

The guys at Pfaff are going to take a look. Im hoping they aren't as it just replaced then after less than 1800kms. The last set got scored by the pads imploding on themselves, but they never warped.

It is possible the Pagid pads let them get just a but too hot.

Is there a readily available option???

Old 05-02-2012, 03:55 PM
The guys at Pfaff are going to take a look. Im hoping they aren't as it just replaced then after less than 1800kms. The last set got scored by the pads imploding on themselves, but they never warped.

It is possible the Pagid pads let them get just a but too hot.

Is there a readily available option???

Scoring, warping, and pad deposits are a common issue on the brakes.

The discs are non directional and therefore one side gets hotter than the other.

You have a few options.

Fit a brembo kit.
Fit AP Racing discs and stock caliper
Fit R8/Gallardo/rs4 caliper to stock disc
Fit Rs6 caliper and disc setup
Fit audi Carbon ceramic setup
Fit r8 caliper and AP racing disc.

The r8 caliper/ap disc and carbon ceramic setups are the best but not cheap.

I went down the caliper and stock disc route. The discs now last 1 pad life, whilst before I was killing the discs for fun with the standard caliper.

We now know the weakest link is the disc. They are crap.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:46 PM
From what I understand, the stock caliper is fine. Does anyone have part numbers for the AP Racing discs???

Old 05-02-2012, 10:32 PM
bluesun is infamous around these parts
There was a company saying they were coming out with a pad and rotor combination. Was a little pricey, but they claim their rotors even keep the GTR from over heating the brakes. Finally found the link.

http://www.racingbrake.com/Audi_TT_R...012_p/2211.htm

Old 05-03-2012, 08:48 AM
From what I understand, the stock caliper is fine. Does anyone have part numbers for the AP Racing discs???
No part numbers sadly. The disc combo was thought up by a brake guru in the UK.

I believe Loba motorsport now sell these discs. Best to shoot em off an email.

Price is around 1100-1200 sterling british pounds

Old 05-03-2012, 10:18 AM
Dr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of light
Question on the alignment - did you add any suspension bits? LCA's, camber plates, etc? Or just optimize the stock suspension? Did it get rid of the understeer?

Old 05-04-2012, 03:07 PM
I did not change any of the suspension bits yet. The ARB are not instock. The changes did dial out some of the understeer. To be honest the car can now get away from you. That never happened before.

It will never feel as free as a rear wheel drive car because the front wheels are biting, but it's much better and really very quick through the twisty bits.

I did notice the tire temperatures were far more even across the tread after the changes.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:17 PM
regarding H&R arbs, theres confusion as to whether they fit the TTRS correctly. Some people with them fitted speak of clearence issues. Rear arbs touching on the rear diff.

Next step would be some coilovers.

I recent drove a Golf R with AST coilovers, VW racing ARBs and haldex controller and round corners it would leave my TTRS for dead! Not to mention how much fun it was to drive!

Old 06-10-2012, 08:04 PM
I have a set of LOBA racing discs for the front arriving in the next day or so. I kept burning through the stock rotors. These have the LOBA hat/drum and AP Racing directional discs (grooved for me, but drilled are also available).

Next up I have to get the brake vents from the TT shop.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:47 PM
So, after waiting weeks for my LOBA disc set, Pfaff have told me one go them is defective. Not very happy at all. I will get the full story tomorrow, at the moment I'm not feeling good about dealing with Loba. At least not if you live in North America. Everything just takes too long.

Hopefully there is a solution.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: TTRS + AD08's + Pagid Blues + Alignment + Comp Haldex