Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Considering an R8 Spyder

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 09:04 AM
malmasri is infamous around these parts
Considering an R8 Spyder

I have been a porsche driver the better part of my life...I have a 997 TT Cab for street driving and a GT3 RS for the track...
I am looking at an R8 5.2 Spyder and would like the opinion of current owners..What is good about the vehicle..what to look for and more importantly what are you not happy with...
TIA

Old 05-16-2012, 05:04 PM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
I'm also looking at the spyder. All opinions would be appreciated.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:16 PM
ESK
Hick from NH
ESK is infamous around these parts
I also consider myself a "Porsche" guy. My DD is a '12 Cayenne Turbo and my last two sportscars were 997 TT Cabs. After considering a 991S Cab and a TTS Cab, I ended up buying an R8 V10 MT Spyder about 3 weeks ago after. I couldn't see spending $130k on a non-Turbo 911 and I didn't want a PDK. The 997 TT Cab was the same old thing I already had and again I wanted an MT.

What is good about the R8? Everything. It's an exotic without screaming "look at me" even though it's an Audi. The standard exhaust sound is incredible - think Ferrari. The clutch and transmission are incredibly smooth. The car is extremely powerful and pulls in all gears - no turbo lag. The handling is great - I love turning the flat bottom wheel through corners. I haven't red-lined it yet (about 8,500) but have hit 7,000 and the car just screams.

While I didn't buy the car because it's comfortable and easy to drive - it is. You could really use it as your DD. I've had Audis so the MMI is familiar. You sit low, but very comfortable and easy to get in and out. The bluetooth works great even on the highway with the top down. Drove it about 150 miles yesterday in all kinds of conditions and it was a complete pleasure.

I really think Audi nailed it with this car. Frankly, I never really considered an R8 because you never see them. This just adds to the uniqueness. The interior is a little bland. Mine is all black with enhanced leather (dash, doors). This is a must. Audi's CF interior is cheap at $2,500 which adds a lot to the interior as does deviated stitching. Try to find one with these options if you like them and also the sport perforated steering wheel for $250. Changes the whole driving experience.

I'd sum it up by saying you absolutely won't be disappointed with the R8. And, you can probably by one for invoice.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:41 PM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
Thank you ESK.

Great write up.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:11 AM
One of the concerns with the 911 Porsche is lack of spare tire, that actually makes me use the Cayenne for travel for the fear of being stranded on a journey...Does the R8 have a spare?

Old 05-21-2012, 08:04 AM
Former Vendor
One@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud of
ESK what color is your car? Is it meteor gray by any chance?

Old 05-21-2012, 10:06 AM
ESK
Hick from NH
ESK is infamous around these parts
Good question regarding the spare. I don't know the answer. I haven't checked under the luggage compartment. I assume yes since the car doesn't come with run flats. Only BMW doesn't use a spare. My 997 TT had a temp spare similar to my CTT.

My car is Ice Silver with black. Audi's greys are Lava (darkest) and Daytona. I think Daytona is a little darker than Meteor. Sorry, but I'm having trouble uploading a picture as it's too large.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:27 PM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
My story is about the same as ESK's. Lifelong Porsche guy. After 4 months and 4000 miles, I have to say that my R8 V10 MT spyder is the most enjoyable car I have ever owned. It is truly an everyday exotic. Downsides: luggage room is nil; spyder has 2" less front leg room than R8 coupe, so guys over 6' might find it a problem, the interior is good quality but not as inspiring visually as the exterior, nav. screen washes out badly in sun light, gated 6 speed is very cool but not nearly as fast shifting as my Porsches with sport shifter. That's about all the downside, other than I wouldn't race a turbo S or GTR and hope to win. But this is one of those cars that is as enjoyable puttering around as it is running hard. Even at slow speeds you still get that amazing engine soundtrack. P.S. no spare tire - just a compressor and a can of polymer crap.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:15 PM
Former Vendor
One@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud of
ESK let us know if you'll need a set of wheels for it! We can get a set of our MB1 in Titanium Graphite made for you, as I imagined and thought, it would look great on that gray. These are the wheels ...

Old 05-27-2012, 08:04 AM
^ D2forged, please do not hijack the thread.
I do appreciate the input of R8 owners...keep them coming please.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:31 AM
Ok picked one up at the dealer Friday, May 25 2012, took a 400 mile drive to Austin & back with the wife.

So far very please with ride & comfort. Being 6'2" 240 lbs I seem to fit into it fine.

I will try to keep you informed with info as I get more time in it.

Mine is white exterior with black & carbon fiber interior.

Here are some photos of the car. It has a flat black wrap on it from the dealer & as soon as I get tired of the wrap the dealer will remove it & the car will be the original white.

Name:  audi r8 photo.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  186.2 KB

Name:  audi r8.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  39.4 KB

Old 05-28-2012, 05:31 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by malmasri
D2forged, please do not hijack the thread.
I do appreciate the input of R8 owners...keep them coming please.
Sure thing! Have fun!

Old 05-28-2012, 07:31 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
congrats on the car. enjoy it in good health. r8 is becoming so much more attractive compare to the over priced porsches. r8 is a much more balanced car compare to p car as i am sure you've known by now. coming from a 996 to a gallardo, i felt the car is so much more planted.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:24 AM
Originally Posted by djantlive
congrats on the car. enjoy it in good health. r8 is becoming so much more attractive compare to the over priced porsches. r8 is a much more balanced car compare to p car as i am sure you've known by now. coming from a 996 to a gallardo, i felt the car is so much more planted.
That is the perfect word to describe the difference between the GT2 & the R8. PLANTED.
I drove the GT2 yesterday for the first time since getting the R8. The GT2 is scary fast but the steering & the front end felt very light compared to the R8.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:13 PM
Banned
robk526655 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by djantlive
Well said

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Considering an R8 Spyder