Audi S4, S6, RS4, RS6, R8 etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Opinions - R8, TT-RS, or RS5??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 10:59 PM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
Okay, nice group of cars, but very different beyond the fact that they are Audi's.

R8, don't have one, but my mate has a v10 and I have driven it. Awesome cars, fantastic steering, big brakes, looks great. Nice seating position. It feels much bigger than the TTRS. But these cars are the real deal. They still,look fresh and I think you would be surprised by the production numbers. Hard to go wrong with an R8. Your car peers are driving a Porsche.

I have not driven an RS5. I did however drive a 2010 S4 for just over a year and I did not like it. I tracked it once and was not impressed, but many, many people do not agree with me.

I currently own a 2012 TTRS and it's a great car. It has all the excitement I missed in the S4. The engines is so much fun, a very lively, fizzy thing. It pulls hard too, there is always torque when you need it. This is an amazing track day motor, fast on the straights and perfect for the twisties. The motor is the reason to buy the car and it's a good reason.

It is rare and at the track it commands a lot of interest. On the road, not so much. Now it is important to note the factory pads and rotors are beyond crap, as are the stock alignment and Toyo's. In less than 2700 kms and 2.5 track days I had gone through the stock tires, a set of stock pads (replaced with Pagid blues) and two sets of rotors, at the moment I have a set of Loba rotors en route. To put this in perspective I just traded in my 2009 Aston Vantage V8, and it has the original tires, original rotors, a fresh set of pads and 14000 kms.

My other car is an Aston Martin V12 and while that car is mammoth in every way, the little TTRS is always a treat to drive. With the right tires and a track alignment it takes on a very eager character. I also fitted it with a race Haldex unit and that is a worthy mod.

It's important to remember that while it can trade blows with the big boys, it lacks some of the hard core equipment. You can add it if you need it.

On track days, I rarely ever get passed, but I pass many others.

Thumbs up from me, but you will have to mod if your are serious. Porsche is more hard core out of the box. Also remeber Audi are on the war path with people who tune.

Last edited by black penguin; 06-01-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:30 AM
S4weezy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by black penguin
Okay, nice group of cars, but very different beyond the fact that they are Audi's.

R8, don't have one, but my mate has a v10 and I have driven it. Awesome cars, fantastic steering, big brakes, looks great. Nice seating position. It feels much bigger than the TTRS. But these cars are the real deal. They still,look fresh and I think you would be surprised by the production numbers. Hard to go wrong with an R8. Your car peers are driving a Porsche.

I have not driven an RS5. I did however drive a 2010 S4 for just over a year and I did not like it. I tracked it once and was not impressed, but many, many people do not agree with me.

I currently own a 2012 TTRS and it's a great car. It has all the excitement I missed in the S4. The engines is so much fun, a very lively, fizzy thing. It pulls hard too, there is always torque when you need it. This is an amazing track day motor, fast on the straights and perfect for the twisties. The motor is the reason to buy the car and it's a good reason.

It is rare and at the track it commands a lot of interest. On the road, not so much. Now it is important to note the factory pads and rotors are beyond crap, as are the stock alignment and Toyo's. In less than 2700 kms and 2.5 track days I had gone through the stock tires, a set of stock pads (replaced with Pagid blues) and two sets of rotors, at the moment I have a set of Loba rotors en route. To put this in perspective I just traded in my 2009 Aston Vantage V8, and it has the original tires, original rotors, a fresh set of pads and 14000 kms.

My other car is an Aston Martin V12 and while that car is mammoth in every way, the little TTRS is always a treat to drive. With the right tires and a track alignment it takes on a very eager character. I also fitted it with a race Haldex unit and that is a worthy mod.

It's important to remember that while it can trade blows with the big boys, it lacks some of the hard core equipment. You can add it if you need it.

On track days, I rarely ever get passed, but I pass many others.

Thumbs up from me, but you will have to mod if your are serious. Porsche is more hard core out of the box. Also remeber Audi are on the war path with people who tune.
Well put BP. I think for the price you just can't go wrong. I wish I could have one of each though

Old 06-02-2012, 12:31 AM
bmwtek is a jewel in the roughbmwtek is a jewel in the roughbmwtek is a jewel in the roughbmwtek is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by S4weezy
Yea 6'3 is a bit tall for a little coupe. Was your B8 S4 modded? That car is really an all around great daily driver thats very underrated. With a simple tune it turns into a real car. I just have the itch for a fun coupe with the S4 feel/look.
Not in terms of performance, but I ordered Stasis sway bars to sharpen the turn in a little, the steering was a little too numb for my taste. But the low-mid range power was great, totally different than my M3. I would recommend it, but a salesmen at BMW gave me an offer on an M3 I could not resist.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:41 PM
Pov TTRS is infamous around these parts
RS5 is slow for the money and expensive to tune
R8 V8 is slow for the money and looks and expensive to tune
TTRS is nothing special stock, but with a stage1 map wipes the floor of the two above.

The r8 v8 is the most common, followed by the TTRS and the RS5.

It really depends what you want from your money.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:55 PM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
Buy the best you can afford, but buy the one that makes your heart sing. Performance per dollar always ends in frustration, unless it's a track only car, or you race for money. (maybe I misunderstood you. If so, sorry)

In the REAL world a tenth of a second here or there really does not matter, unless you have extremely low self esteem. Buy and drive what you like, not for street cred. It has to make you happy when you are washing it, modding it, stuck in traffic and picking up a date.

I'm fortunate enough to be able to buy as fast as I want, but I still get punks who want to race at the lights thinking they have thought off something I didnt. They want to slay the dragon, but I CHOSE the car I wanted, knowing full well it could be beat by a Subaru with a crazy tune. But that's not the car I want to drive.

I drove my friends 1964 Porsche SC. It was slow by any standard, but fun as hell. A really special drive. You felt connected.

Drive the cars. Take them for a good long drive. Imagine it as YOUR car. Think about what you want the car for. The use will change the answer. If its performance for dollar, don't go Audi, though the TTRS is a great value.

Good luck

Last edited by black penguin; 06-03-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:16 PM
Dr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by dsg9850
R8 hands down.
That actually was my decision as well.
I should have it in a week or so. Once the RS5 gets here in a few months, I'll see what I think. At least both are Daytona Gray.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:08 PM
tranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of light
I never buy used so R8 would be out.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:56 AM
Bimmeristic has a spectacular aura aboutBimmeristic has a spectacular aura about
Well I can't afford any of them, but if I could I would go for the R8!!

Old 06-06-2012, 01:25 PM
orlanderlv is infamous around these parts
I had the 2012 Audi TTRS and it's an amazing car...amazing. I've driven several R8s also and it just doesn't compare. The R8 looks better but the TTRS is the better track car. There I said it!

I recently bought a new Aston Martin Vantage roadster but if I were going to add another car to my stable tomorrow it would be to buy the TTRS again. I was dumb to get rid of it.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:46 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
RS5: super nice
TTRS: super nice
R8: supercar

Old 06-06-2012, 07:51 PM
S4weezy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by orlanderlv
I had the 2012 Audi TTRS and it's an amazing car...amazing. I've driven several R8s also and it just doesn't compare. The R8 looks better but the TTRS is the better track car. There I said it!

I recently bought a new Aston Martin Vantage roadster but if I were going to add another car to my stable tomorrow it would be to buy the TTRS again. I was dumb to get rid of it.
Ding Ding Ding we have a winner. This is a special car and I don't want to miss out and get an older used one down the road. By then hopefully ill be looking at 911s.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:12 PM
Dr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by orlanderlv
The R8 looks better but the TTRS is the better track car. There I said it!
I've driven both on the track as well and used to own a TT-RS. I could not disagree more. I guess that's why Audi makes both.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:42 AM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/carg...ssan_370z.html

Not put down anyone's dream, but get real

Old 06-07-2012, 06:37 AM
@Alan, have you just read about these cars or have you actually driven any of them? The long term test of the TT RS is much more enthusiastic. Independent tire tests have shown that a proper set of rubber gains a lot of time and fixes the numbness.

A track alignment sorted mine out as well. Much more lively.

In the real world each of these cars have their merits that go beyond magazine reviews, 0-60 times and parking lot insecurities.

Do you need storage? Is there a dealer network in your area? Can you afford to maintain? Will AWD help in winter? Is the car even available (1M is sold out), can you even afford it. (Porsche is far more money in the real world).

I have out driven guys in Cayman R's and even the odd GTR on the track, they have also returned the favor. It most often comes down to driver skill and matching your driving skill to the vehicles dynamics.

All good choices, all a lot of fun. Depends on what you want, need and love.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:37 PM
gtr
gtr has a spectacular aura aboutgtr has a spectacular aura aboutgtr has a spectacular aura about
I got sold of my TTRS also. I loved my TTRS. It's fast and super nice but not fun. I would have kept the car if it wasn't for my GTR. Having both I tend to drive the GTR because it's faster, more fun and more comfortable.

For some reason, I personally like the S6 as daily driver but I feel the R8 would get my vote. I would suggest trying something different and then you can sport a TTRS in 2014. I feel if you buy the TTRS again you may consider the R8 again? Dont' know your call. I really like the RS5 because it would be brand new and probably no one else will have one. The only downside is that the RS5 looks like the S5 and no 4.0L turbo.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Opinions - R8, TT-RS, or RS5??