Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Opinions - R8, TT-RS, or RS5??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 04:52 PM
Pov TTRS is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by black penguin
Buy the best you can afford, but buy the one that makes your heart sing. Performance per dollar always ends in frustration, unless it's a track only car, or you race for money. (maybe I misunderstood you. If so, sorry)

In the REAL world a tenth of a second here or there really does not matter, unless you have extremely low self esteem. Buy and drive what you like, not for street cred. It has to make you happy when you are washing it, modding it, stuck in traffic and picking up a date.

I'm fortunate enough to be able to buy as fast as I want, but I still get punks who want to race at the lights thinking they have thought off something I didnt. They want to slay the dragon, but I CHOSE the car I wanted, knowing full well it could be beat by a Subaru with a crazy tune. But that's not the car I want to drive.

I drove my friends 1964 Porsche SC. It was slow by any standard, but fun as hell. A really special drive. You felt connected.

Drive the cars. Take them for a good long drive. Imagine it as YOUR car. Think about what you want the car for. The use will change the answer. If its performance for dollar, don't go Audi, though the TTRS is a great value.

Good luck
The rs5 and r8 v8 dont have the grunt to excite me, they lack that pinned you to the back of your seat feeling, and if im gonna buy a top of the range performance audi thats what it will need.

APPARENTLY, the TTRS is also quicker than the r8 v8 around tracks that dont have long straighways according to some sources.

The OP will just have to drive all 3 and test em to see what he or she prefers. Stock vs stock I think it will be very close.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:17 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
Get in a P-car.

I am not a fan of TT variants no matter how great the vehicle may be. If I was in your position, I'd go with RS5 without a second thought.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:17 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Pov TTRS
The rs5 and r8 v8 dont have the grunt to excite me, they lack that pinned you to the back of your seat feeling, and if im gonna buy a top of the range performance audi thats what it will need.

APPARENTLY, the TTRS is also quicker than the r8 v8 around tracks that dont have long straighways according to some sources.

The OP will just have to drive all 3 and test em to see what he or she prefers. Stock vs stock I think it will be very close.
I am not surprised considering what you have.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:33 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Enilder
Get in a P-car.

I am not a fan of TT variants no matter how great the vehicle may be. If I was in your position, I'd go with RS5 without a second thought.
The more I think about this, the more I'm inline with this^ perspective. I was never a fan of the TT platform. The Audi 5-series is a great looking platform - comes with AWD, V8, nice interior, decent performance, etc...

Yeah, it's no R8, but the RS5 would come with a warranty, S-tronic, etc... So many reasons to go with that one.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:47 PM
sakimano is infamous around these partssakimano is infamous around these parts
First off I'm an Audi owner with a bunch of Audis in my history, and currently drive an RS4 with the 4.2 high revving FSI engine that is in the R8 4.2 (and the RS5 more or less (RS5 runs a little deeper to redline at 8250 rpms hence the hp bump).

Frankly if you have a car for getting around already, I'd skip the Rs5. I love the engine, love the looks, love the interior...but I think if I was getting an 'extra' Audi, I'd get something impractical and fun rather than something that would be a great choice if you could only have one Audi.

That leaves the TTRS vs. the R8. Uphill battle for the TTRS but to be honest, a tuned TTRS will rape the R8 4.2 (and give the 5.2 a run for its money). So I don't think it's as lopsided as it looks.

TTRS is a very special little car that will likely pull slightly or be equal with both of the V8 cars. Very different. if you like a howling turbocharged little menace with an extra 60-70 hp available from software alone, this is the car for you. It's a baby monster performance wise. FWD bias though is a negative. Styling is hit or miss with people. Plus one day you'll pull alongside a 55 year old primary school teacher in a 2008 2.0T Audi TT who looks over and says 'HEY! SAME CAR!!!'. Just kidding, but the R8 will never have you questioning how 'special' it is.

I vote R8 4.2

Last edited by sakimano; 06-08-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:16 PM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dr. Bill
I know, I'm probably crazy for asking when one of the choices is an R8.

I'm thinking about adding another Audi to the garage and have narrowed it down to a 2008 or 2009 R8 4.2, a new TT-RS, and a new RS5.

Certainly different vehicles. The R8 is essentially a supercar. The RS5 is a heavy coupe with a big V8. The TT-RS is a sporty little coupe with some great potential for tuning.

Assuming they are all about the same price, which do you select?

Things to consider - the R8 is out of warranty, although there are no issues I know of. The R8 and RS5 would suck more gas. Insurance is more on the R8. But, the R8 is an R8. The others are nice, limited production Audis. I think I know the answer, but need some assurance.

For the price and all around usability you cant beat the Rs5.

I have one ordered and have it arriving August. Week #2/

We work on dozens of R8's and TTRS's , I have owned over a dozen of S and RS Audis over the years..

Just MHO

Old 06-08-2012, 03:21 PM
Dr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Fabryce@GMGRacing
For the price and all around usability you cant beat the Rs5.

I have one ordered and have it arriving August. Week #2/

We work on dozens of R8's and TTRS's , I have owned over a dozen of S and RS Audis over the years..

Just MHO
Thanks for your input.
If only the RS5 was about 500 pounds lighter. . .

Old 06-08-2012, 04:16 PM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
I love the R8 V10 spyder.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:09 PM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
I didnt realize you were going to have the Cayman R plus another car!!

That would change the criteria for the second car. What is it the Cayman is not giving you?

My three cars are all very different. Each one fills a role the other cant.

The R8 would give you a similar car to the Cayman R, but would be a step up in image and finish. Plus you get AWD, but you lose storage.

The TT RS would also be a similar car, but would offer you WAY more storage and day to day usability. The perfect choice if you are a committed to small two seaters, but want a high-po everyday option. (that is why I bought my TT RS). Plus it's a chance to have a forced induction car.

The RS5 is a good option if you need a "grown up" car, with a more sensible image and the possibility of four seats (short distances).

I ended up with:
an SUV (supercharged V8)
an everyday bullet that I can track (turbocharged 5)
and a rolling piece of art (naturally aspirated V12)

Each one is so very different. That makes it fun.

Last edited by black penguin; 06-08-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:06 PM
Panguard is infamous around these parts
I'd get the R8. The RS5 IS nice but it has a detuned R8 engine :P

TT-RS would be a ridiculously fun car. Small chassis with a 360hp engine = win.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:22 PM
sakimano is infamous around these partssakimano is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Panguard
I'd get the R8. The RS5 IS nice but it has a detuned R8 engine :P

TT-RS would be a ridiculously fun car. Small chassis with a 360hp engine = win.
guess you're joking? it's a more tuned version.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:06 AM
fcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant future
theyre obviously all nice cars and its a great predicament to be in but...

i would skip the ttrs and rs5 because i think there are better cars in their price class. i would take a gtr over the rs5 and the new porsche boxster/cayman is going to be a total classic.

as for the r8, its really the winner of its class. yes, a 458 is more desireable but much more expensive. r8 over 991 carrera hands down for me

Old 06-14-2012, 08:34 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by fcar348
... i would take a gtr over the rs5 and the new porsche boxster/cayman is going to be a total classic....
Although my money said the GT-R is better than the RS5, I'd suggest that for this OP (and people with his preferences), the RS5 might be a better fit. In my opinion, the RS5 is a very good looking coupe with slightly more interior space (than the Nissan), VERY decent power (for its intention), and a slightly better refinement all over. Couple that with AWD and a DCT (S-tronic), and you've got quite the car, for less money.

Obviously, the performance is not the same as the GT-R (neither is the 4.2 R8 that was on the original list), but the RS5 has enough performance to be enjoyed everyday, with a comfort that may be MORE livable.

It is all about preference.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:44 PM
Vesuvius is infamous around these parts
Between 3 cars I would get the TT RS or the R8. RS5 is a disappointment by using the same engine from the 2007 RS4. It's 2012 and they just added a new airbox and used the same engine. (I have a RS4 now it's a great car with vacuum cleaner sound ) They should have used the engine from S6/7. And it's super heavy.

The downside of TTRS is it can't be ordered with the dsg transmission in the US. And you might ask yourself if you want to pay that much for a TT.

R8 is the best looking car in the market imho. Interior and the seating position are spot on. There are a lot of faster cars but the look is just phenomenal.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:29 AM
asRS5 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Hayabusa
You are "nickling and diming" your choices here. Really,, when it comes to five thousand this way or that, asking yourself WHAT it is really that you are looking for in a car should be the question? Right?!

R8's? Pfft,, not everywhere, but they are around.
TT-RS's,,, sure,, not common, but they are out there. Seen one of their body styles for years,,, not thrilled.
RS5. Now this is exclusive. Sure the S5 has been out here in ROW,, but not in the States. This car is totally different from the S5 and is "face-lifted" over the Gen 1 ROW RS5.

Slap a Stasis Supercharger on it and suddenly you have a killer on all levels. See ya later M5! Outside of warranty or you simple don't care,, slap a MTM Lysholm Supercharger on it and call it a day,, against most everything this side of the 1%ers. AND I guarantee that you will have people coming up to you wondering how the heck you ever got on the allocation list! Leave it alone for warranty concerns and you still end up with something no one else has.

Hands down,,, RS5 ! !

That's if you can get one!
Nicely put.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Opinions - R8, TT-RS, or RS5??