Audi S4, S6, RS4, RS6, R8 etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Opinions - R8, TT-RS, or RS5??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 05:34 PM
Dr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of light
Opinions - R8, TT-RS, or RS5??

I know, I'm probably crazy for asking when one of the choices is an R8.

I'm thinking about adding another Audi to the garage and have narrowed it down to a 2008 or 2009 R8 4.2, a new TT-RS, and a new RS5.

Certainly different vehicles. The R8 is essentially a supercar. The RS5 is a heavy coupe with a big V8. The TT-RS is a sporty little coupe with some great potential for tuning.

Assuming they are all about the same price, which do you select?

Things to consider - the R8 is out of warranty, although there are no issues I know of. The R8 and RS5 would suck more gas. Insurance is more on the R8. But, the R8 is an R8. The others are nice, limited production Audis. I think I know the answer, but need some assurance.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:31 PM
GETU1 is infamous around these partsGETU1 is infamous around these parts
R8 hands down man. Its in a league all of its own compared to those others. You wont get the R8 and think, man I wish I wouldve got the TT, might say I wish I went with the r8 if you buy the other choices. imo

Old 05-31-2012, 09:40 PM
S4weezy is infamous around these parts
I see 10x more R8s in the area than I do the TTRS. That car just has great potential and I love it. For mid 60s what kind of R8 are you comparing that to? Big difference between V8 and V10. RS5 is gorgeous also. All in all tough choices but the RS models are always way more exclusive. Cant go wrong either way!

BTW I ordered a TTRS and am selling my B8 S4 Stage II+ that I love for the little coupe. I took one for a ride and it was to much fun.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:27 AM
colt45 is a glorious beacon of lightcolt45 is a glorious beacon of lightcolt45 is a glorious beacon of lightcolt45 is a glorious beacon of lightcolt45 is a glorious beacon of light
well it depends if your keeping your Cayman R. if so I wouldn't get the TT-RS since they are the same size car. if you sell the Cayman then I would say get the TT-RS.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:48 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Link to R8 costing $60k?

But to answer your question - R8. Unless you don't like R-tronic.

If your preference is dual clutch over single, I'd eliminate R8.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:03 AM
Dr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Link to R8 costing $60k?
Well, the TT-RS with options is about $67k. The US base price on an RS5 is $72k, probably closer to $80k with options. An '08 R8 can be had in the mid 80's.

So, the prices are similar enough to consider the three together.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:28 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dr. Bill
Well, the TT-RS with options is about $67k. The US base price on an RS5 is $72k, probably closer to $80k with options. An '08 R8 can be had in the mid 80's.

I like how you minimized $25k+. I find myself doing the same thing. It's easy.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
I like how you minimized $25k+. I find myself doing the same thing. It's easy.

I know - 'for a "little" more I could get this' and then 'for just a "little" more it could be that'. Pretty soon, a McLaren is looking like a bargain!

Old 06-01-2012, 10:15 AM
I know - 'for a "little" more I could get this' and then 'for just a "little" more it could be that'. Pretty soon, a McLaren is looking like a bargain!
Brother, you said it. I don't know how it happens, but we can put everything within the margins, as long as they grow slowly enough.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:07 AM
Hayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to behold

You are "nickling and diming" your choices here. Really,, when it comes to five thousand this way or that, asking yourself WHAT it is really that you are looking for in a car should be the question? Right?!

R8's? Pfft,, not everywhere, but they are around.
TT-RS's,,, sure,, not common, but they are out there. Seen one of their body styles for years,,, not thrilled.
RS5. Now this is exclusive. Sure the S5 has been out here in ROW,, but not in the States. This car is totally different from the S5 and is "face-lifted" over the Gen 1 ROW RS5.

Slap a Stasis Supercharger on it and suddenly you have a killer on all levels. See ya later M5! Outside of warranty or you simple don't care,, slap a MTM Lysholm Supercharger on it and call it a day,, against most everything this side of the 1%ers. AND I guarantee that you will have people coming up to you wondering how the heck you ever got on the allocation list! Leave it alone for warranty concerns and you still end up with something no one else has.

Hands down,,, RS5 ! !

That's if you can get one!

Old 06-01-2012, 11:17 AM
Hayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to behold
Call collecting is a little bit about what you have that is different of what others don't have. Well, maybe not if you have more of a pedestrian approach. How could you not want this in your garage?

Old 06-01-2012, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by Hayabusa
Hands down,,, RS5 ! !

Thanks for the input. I've got one ordered in Daytona Gray.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:41 AM
Eating your cake,,, and everyone else's!

Old 06-01-2012, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the input. I've got one ordered in Daytona Gray.

See how you are! I already knew your verbal capitulation was a charade for the masses.

Strange, now that you have brought it out,, there is basically nothing about this wonderfully new release car on this forum. Bunch of turn key and go people. LOL

Post those pics when you get it! I am excited for you!! Care to share your option list?

Old 06-01-2012, 11:53 AM
S4weezy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Hayabusa
You are "nickling and diming" your choices here. Really,, when it comes to five thousand this way or that, asking yourself WHAT it is really that you are looking for in a car should be the question? Right?!

R8's? Pfft,, not everywhere, but they are around.
TT-RS's,,, sure,, not common, but they are out there. Seen one of their body styles for years,,, not thrilled.
RS5. Now this is exclusive. Sure the S5 has been out here in ROW,, but not in the States. This car is totally different from the S5 and is "face-lifted" over the Gen 1 ROW RS5.

Slap a Stasis Supercharger on it and suddenly you have a killer on all levels. See ya later M5! Outside of warranty or you simple don't care,, slap a MTM Lysholm Supercharger on it and call it a day,, against most everything this side of the 1%ers. AND I guarantee that you will have people coming up to you wondering how the heck you ever got on the allocation list! Leave it alone for warranty concerns and you still end up with something no one else has.

Hands down,,, RS5 ! !

Trust me I love the RS5 as well. But do you want a manual or an S Tronic? You can get a TTRS for low 60's and with a stage 2 or 3 APR upgrade nothing will keep up in that group. The RS5 looks great but same body style as the S5, the TTRS has about as many changes from the TT as the 5 does. You can tell the difference easily from a TT and its way more fun to drive (yes I have driven both since I live 5 minutes from AoA).

This will be in my garage sometime late fall, i'd take this and keep the extra 20k any day!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Opinions - R8, TT-RS, or RS5??