Audi S4, S6, RS4, RS6, R8 etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

x Post - C63 Black Series, RS5 or 911 GTS4? Why?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 07:17 AM
jbt1125 is infamous around these parts
x Post - C63 Black Series, RS5 or 911 GTS4? Why?

New to this community, what a cool place. In the next 30 days, I plan to purchase a new daily driver.

Use - semi daily driver, dont really have a regular office commute, so wont slug it out in daily traffic, or long commutes, but does need to be usable as an only car.
Condition - new, not used (I have my reasons)
Price - $100k -/+, not much more
Size - need at least small back seat for small kids, more room better, but not mandatory...i.e. the 911 is technically big enough back there
Requirements - needs to be fun, unique, sporty, wont get tired of it, looks good, fun behind the wheel, etc.

I have owned BMWs, Audis, Porsches in the past. The candidates:

C63 AMG Black Series - was able to snag an allocation based on a relationship I have, deposit down, base car, not a lot of track options, etc. more the "subtle" spec version of this car if there is such a thing. Worried about still is it too raw for daily. ~ $105k with my discount.

RS5 - able to purchase locally or nationally, several available. Worried about the bored factor. Had an RS4, was a cool car, but eventually felt a bit boring. This might be different given body style, DSG, etc. ~ $80k

911 GTS 4 - I know, sacrilege to some to drive a AWD 911, but as a daily driver I just think that this is a very usable package, albeit the smallest and least practical, most expensive of the bunch. Several available at deep discounts nationally, puts it tied with the Black for price, ~$105k

Not worried about gas mileage. Given these three options, which would you pick and why? And no, this isnt my only input on decision, I am just curious where people would lean and why. thanks!

Old 08-02-2012, 10:25 AM
Pov TTRS is infamous around these parts
C63 BS all day long.

The rest are nothing special, the merc is.

Avoid the boring RS5

Old 08-02-2012, 10:56 AM
Dr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of light
Quite a restrictive list. Personally, I'd keep looking, but then again, I don't want or need back seats.

AMG's tend to lose value exceptionally fast, the black series may be an exception. The ride might be a bit harsh for daily use. It would likely be the most exclusive and the most fun to drive. Certainly the most hp and torque!

The RS5 is a nice coupe. It would make a good daily driver. Of course, so would an S5. The RS5 will be pretty uncommon and would save over $20k. It will probably be the least fun to drive of the three. But with the extra $20k you could get something fun for the weekends - likely with two wheels.

A 911 is a great daily driver and is a blast on the weekends. Not sure how practical it is if you need rear seats. Kids do tend to grow up. And I do not like the center lock wheels on the GTS series. What if you get a flat and don't have your 4-foot long breaker bar and torque wrench? Think the local tire shop can help? They are fun to drive, even with AWD.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:07 AM
Dr. Bill,

If you dont like this list, what would you add? $100k budget with backseats needed. New only. Yes kids grow, but my track record with cars is 24-36 months max. Love to hear your additional thoughts. The GTS wheels are relpacled easy enough of that is an issue. On the Black Series, the reviews indicate the ride to be pretty reasonable for the road, like a standard 997 GT3 is the comparison I have heard made.

Thanks again for all the opinions!

Old 08-02-2012, 01:30 PM
Dr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by jbt1125
Dr. Bill,

If you dont like this list, what would you add? $100k budget with backseats needed. New only. Yes kids grow, but my track record with cars is 24-36 months max. Love to hear your additional thoughts. The GTS wheels are relpacled easy enough of that is an issue. On the Black Series, the reviews indicate the ride to be pretty reasonable for the road, like a standard 997 GT3 is the comparison I have heard made.

Thanks again for all the opinions!
Good question! I guess I haven't looked at cars with back seats for a long time! An Audi TT-RS would be a hoot - much less than your limit, small back seats, can get crazy power with a simple flash, quattro if needed, uncommon. There is the standard answer of M3, but they are fairly common.

Yes, GTS center locks can be swapped to conventional 5-lug wheels, but it's over $5k in parts & labor. Plus, it's very difficult to sell the center locks and get some $$ back.

While some think a GT3 works as a daily driver, I found it a bit harsh if the roads are not perfect. Drive a C63 if you can and see what it's like. If I remember right, the seats are awesome for spirited driving but may not be great for daily use. It has been a while since I drove a C63 - they may be better now, or the black series may have better seats.

How about this - buy all three and sell the two you use the least!

Old 08-02-2012, 07:14 PM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
The C63 Black is a fun choice. I have driven the non black edition, but it did have the power pack. Nice car, but the *** end is just too loose and I think the tires are too narrow and prone to excessive wear. I'm sure it would be fun, if not actually efficient or fast around a track. Appears to be a very daily drive able car, but everyone has their own threshold.

The RS5 does nothing for me. I think it's the laziest drive in your list and far too tame if you are considering the AMG.

I love the GTS. Great feel, fantastic involvement and the 997 is more engaging to me than the 991. I honestly have few faults with the car. Almost bought one, except...

They are too expensive considering how common they are in my hood. They are the mass model and they feel it, but they work very well as a DD.

I have a V12 Vantage for summer months, a Range Rover Sport for family duties and a TT RS as my daily driver and foul weather car. Plus I track that car. I use the back seats with my kids for short tips and it's cheap enough to mod. And the mods are spectacular.

I'm surprised no one suggested the GTR. It's not my kinda car, but it does fit the brief.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by black penguin
The C63 Black is a fun choice. I have driven the non black edition, but it did have the power pack. Nice car, but the *** end is just too loose and I think the tires are too narrow and prone to excessive wear. I'm sure it would be fun, if not actually efficient or fast around a track. Appears to be a very daily drive able car, but everyone has their own threshold.

The RS5 does nothing for me. I think it's the laziest drive in your list and far too tame if you are considering the AMG.

I love the GTS. Great feel, fantastic involvement and the 997 is more engaging to me than the 991. I honestly have few faults with the car. Almost bought one, except...

They are too expensive considering how common they are in my hood. They are the mass model and they feel it, but they work very well as a DD.

I have a V12 Vantage for summer months, a Range Rover Sport for family duties and a TT RS as my daily driver and foul weather car. Plus I track that car. I use the back seats with my kids for short tips and it's cheap enough to mod. And the mods are spectacular.

I'm surprised no one suggested the GTR. It's not my kinda car, but it does fit the brief.
Thanks for the thoughtful post. For the regular C63, I think you are right. The C63 BS has wider tires in the back, different suspension setup, etc. I am kind of narrowing down to it or the 911 GTS for a daily driver. GTR is incredibly capable, but just not my cup of tea. thanks

Old 08-04-2012, 01:26 PM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
Either car is going to be a blast. That motor in the C63 is just awesome. Not many days left for engines like that.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:31 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
C63 bs.