Audi S4, S6, RS4, RS6, R8 etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Audi RS5 On-Track Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 09:48 PM
easy_button is just really niceeasy_button is just really niceeasy_button is just really niceeasy_button is just really niceeasy_button is just really nice
Originally Posted by newport996
Yeah the S5 forums are kinda divided down the middle...The RS5 V8 weighs more...and it puts the weight in the wrong place...up front...The V6 Supercharged is a GREAT motor with gobs of torque down below...and even in stock form has more torque than the RS5 so stop light to stoplight the S5 is faster...The RS5 revs higher and makes it peak HP at 8250 RPM. and peak torque (317 ft/lb) at 4000 RPM. The S5 makes 333 hp at 5500 RPM...and its 325 ft/lb of torque at 2900 RPM...So all that HP is available quicker...The RS5 though on a track where it can open its legs would shine there...but chip and pulley the S5 and it makes 405 ft/lb of torque and 441 hp. all available down low where its usable easily. Chip and pulley upgrades are about $1500. Now you dont get the 1 of 1500 RS5s that will be sent to the US in the next 3 years...and you dont get the wide body...or the prestige...but from a performance standpoint...its more economical...oh and it gets better mileage..lol...
Doesn't that same logic apply to the A5 vs. S5? A tuned A5 can be made pretty quick for less than the price of an S5... and there is bigger jump in cost from an A5 to an S5 than from the S5 to the RS5; at least you get the box fenders (and a warranty) with the RS.

Old 09-22-2012, 02:51 PM
b45h1r is infamous around these parts
oldest. forum. argument. ever.

(Disclosure: I had an RS4. Now drive an RS5)

There is no high end car that doesnt have a lower end little brother or similar competitor that can't be cheaply upgraded to similar or superior levels of power/stats. Everyone can do the list, I wont bother.

But as someone who currently drives an RS5, I can honestly say, I didn't want an S5, thus every other argument is moot. I can do the math and all the mental justifications. This is an expensive car, so i bought the one I "wanted". Unless you are legitimately tracking or drag racing your german GT coupe, who cares?

Just as a mental exercise, try to listen to someone tell you how much better the 335i is than the S5. How it won more track comparos, how it handles soooooo much better for several thousand less. How at least BMW styling doesn't all look identical like Audi styling. Yup. You don't care right?!?

S5, great car. If you are into engine mods, it's easy to improve. If you want one, its a fantastic buy.
RS5, great car. Fantastic buy. Very happy.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:55 PM
nyc123 is a jewel in the roughnyc123 is a jewel in the roughnyc123 is a jewel in the rough
I tried to buy an RS5 today, walked in to the dealer with check in hand, and he said he wanted $2500 over MSRP. Not sure about the West Coast but here on the east coast they are all selling at MSRP at most. I would like to own one but no way I was giving this dealer a penny over MSRP.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:17 AM
Dr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by nyc123
I tried to buy an RS5 today, walked in to the dealer with check in hand, and he said he wanted $2500 over MSRP. Not sure about the West Coast but here on the east coast they are all selling at MSRP at most. I would like to own one but no way I was giving this dealer a penny over MSRP.
That's just crazy! They are scheduled to bring 1500 of them to the US over the next 2 or 3 years. The TT-RS is more limited and there are cars sitting on dealer lots - about half way through the production run!

The RS5 has a $1000 Audi Loyalty bonus - I don't understand how some dealers have the nerve to ask over MSRP in this economy! I guess because there are people who will pay, and apparently don't know they can look elsewhere!

Good for you - telling them to pound sand!

Old 09-23-2012, 11:59 AM
mstams is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by nyc123
That's crazy! PM me if you'd like my sales contact. He's in Atlanta but may be able to help you.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:09 AM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by easy_button
Doesn't that same logic apply to the A5 vs. S5? A tuned A5 can be made pretty quick for less than the price of an S5... and there is bigger jump in cost from an A5 to an S5 than from the S5 to the RS5; at least you get the box fenders (and a warranty) with the RS.
No....because there is a bigger difference between A5 and S5....much bigger than between the S5 and RS5. The A5 doesnt have the adaptive suspension, seats, interior bits, transmission, torque vectoring differential from S5 and RS5 or the entire Quattro system which is different in the S5 & RS5. Adding that wold be a huge amount of money being the seats alone are about 12k from germany. I'm sure you can boost the turbo or even add a bigger turbo to the 2 liter engine and make BIG HP...but its not all about just HP numbers. Oh and the Audi dealer can do the mods for you and retain the warranty...Yes you get the box fenders and a great car...not bashing the RS5...just saying the difference isnt huge between it and S5. Both are amazing cars and each has their own place. PERSONALLY, I'd like the box flares, but dont want the extra weight or high revving V8, and I'd like the adaptive suspension...So I'd like the S5 with the box flares. Its fast enough for me...0-60 in 4.6 is more than fast enough and since its got a huge amount of torque, all the HP is very usable in just about all situations. For others they may LOVE the high revving V8 and may not want an adaptive suspension and they may track the car...so an RS5 may be a better car for them.

Last edited by newport996; 09-24-2012 at 03:15 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:12 AM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Heist
My thoughts for what they are worth, Audi should have dropped the hammer on M & AMG Black by shoehorning the R8 V10 engine in the bay (albeit detuned). Kept the S5 adaptive suspension then reduce the entire car's curb weight by 100-150lbs.

It is fairly easy for manufacturers today to find ways to reduce a car's weight by 100lbs.

Make the RS5 truly special and a dominate statement vs. a dollar-to-performance pensive reflection of the S5.
Thats a tough one...put a heavier engine into the car then reduce the weight? The other problem is the weight of the engine is over or in front of the front axle making it a BAD place for weight for handling purposes and why people say the Audi's will suffer from understeer more. Best of all worlds would be a twin turbo V6...lighter than a v8 but could make HUGE HP...then reduce the weight of the car even more...