Audi S4, S6, RS4, RS6, R8 etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Audi RS5 On-Track Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 07:38 PM
Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !
Audi RS5 On-Track Review

Old 09-18-2012, 10:59 AM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
My car arrives in a few days!

Old 09-18-2012, 04:00 PM
Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !
Congrats.
I was disappointed to learn this car has no form of active suspension. The days of single setting - rock hard or nothing - suspensions are growing unpalettable in this price class of vehicle, especially one that proposes to be a GT car.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:18 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Heist
Congrats.
I was disappointed to learn this car has no form of active suspension. The days of single setting - rock hard or nothing - suspensions are growing unpalettable in this price class of vehicle, especially one that proposes to be a GT car.
Agreed....The Supercharged V6 S5 while not as rare and without the widebody is quite an interesting car. Can be easily modded with a tune and pulley to 450 hp (same as RS5) and it has MORE torque and is lighter. It would be faster than a stock RS5...and handle better. Same AWD system with torque vectoring differential (as an option) and you get the adjustable suspension option. Oh and you save about $15k...I am waiting for someone to do a real comparison between a chipped S5 and a RS5. I bet it would be VERY interesting.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by newport996
Agreed....The Supercharged V6 S5 while not as rare and without the widebody is quite an interesting car. Can be easily modded with a tune and pulley to 450 hp (same as RS5) and it has MORE torque and is lighter. It would be faster than a stock RS5...and handle better. Same AWD system with torque vectoring differential (as an option) and you get the adjustable suspension option. Oh and you save about $15k...I am waiting for someone to do a real comparison between a chipped S5 and a RS5. I bet it would be VERY interesting.
I never knew all this. It makes for a legitimately compelling reason to consider the S before the RS.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:23 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
Yeah the S5 forums are kinda divided down the middle...The RS5 V8 weighs more...and it puts the weight in the wrong place...up front...The V6 Supercharged is a GREAT motor with gobs of torque down below...and even in stock form has more torque than the RS5 so stop light to stoplight the S5 is faster...The RS5 revs higher and makes it peak HP at 8250 RPM. and peak torque (317 ft/lb) at 4000 RPM. The S5 makes 333 hp at 5500 RPM...and its 325 ft/lb of torque at 2900 RPM...So all that HP is available quicker...The RS5 though on a track where it can open its legs would shine there...but chip and pulley the S5 and it makes 405 ft/lb of torque and 441 hp. all available down low where its usable easily. Chip and pulley upgrades are about $1500. Now you dont get the 1 of 1500 RS5s that will be sent to the US in the next 3 years...and you dont get the wide body...or the prestige...but from a performance standpoint...its more economical...oh and it gets better mileage..lol...

Old 09-19-2012, 10:44 PM
BADRS4 is infamous around these parts
Yup same old story...similar to B8 S4 and B7 RS4, and 335i and M3. Turbos always give you more power when chipped. It really becomes a preference between NA and Forced Induction. Some people prefer the soul and feel of a NA V8 (me) and some people prefer the smaller turbo. We all agree Audi dropped the ball on the RS5 considering the new M3 will have 3 turbos lol. However, look at it this way; Audi Gmbh factory designs take 2 years to reach production. So the RS5 debuted in Europe in 2010, which means the design was completed in 2008, when the V8 M3 was introduced. So in an essence the RS5 was leveled with the V8 M3 at that time. 5 years later, a lot has changed. So the next RS5/4 will be a bi-turbo V8 (like the new S6) at a minimum. So enjoy the last NA RS car Audi will make.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:13 AM
nyc123 is a jewel in the roughnyc123 is a jewel in the roughnyc123 is a jewel in the rough
I have been considering an rs5 and have been surprised how many people on these forums seem to dislike the car...

Old 09-20-2012, 06:38 AM
Not enough power bro.....It should have had the bi turbo V8 thats in the new S6...that thing does 0-60 in 3.6 secs!! Stock!!! It's actually faster than the RS5....that makes no sense LOL

Old 09-20-2012, 09:56 AM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by nyc123
I have been considering an rs5 and have been surprised how many people on these forums seem to dislike the car...

The reality is you should by the car that you like not what any one else likes.

You will also find that not all but most of the people who have the strongest opinions are the ones who are least likely to buy that car for many reasons.

And lets face it.. Until you drive the two cars back to back its speculation at best.

Im certainly no expert and have owned several Audis over the years.
Had the first S5 v8 in Ca when the car was launched in 2008. Our car was completely developed for the LA Auto Show launch..

I replaced that with a b8 S4 in 2010 because the Rs5 USA launch was pushed back. Had that car for 2+ years and recently sold as I have a Rs5 on order arriving any day now.

Sure the S5 with the 3.0 - chip and pulley maybe just as fast as a Rs5.. But you thats not a fair comparison.. Modded car versus stock car.

Compare the two stock for stock and its clearly obvious the Rs5 is a better car, yes it costs more but no one ever said exclusivity was cheap.

End of rant LOLOL

Old 09-20-2012, 10:04 AM
Agreed! It deftly comes down to personal preference....Like I said I prefer my NA V8 over a chipped turbo any day of the week! However, most of us can agree that the RS5 should have had the bi-turbo V8, to make it much quicker and have a lot more mod potential....But like I said, it will be the last NA RS car...so we mite as well enjoy. It's certainly a beautiful car no matter what.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:18 AM
mstams is infamous around these parts
I've got nearly 5,000 miles on my RS5 now and have been enjoying it just fine!

Old 09-20-2012, 12:32 PM
nyc123 is a jewel in the roughnyc123 is a jewel in the roughnyc123 is a jewel in the rough
I drove one today and decided I am getting it. Really like the car. Just debating color, the one is stock is the suzuka grey with titanium package. I typically dont love white cars and prefer but it might be a nice change...

Old 09-20-2012, 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by Fabryce@GMGRacing
Sure the S5 with the 3.0 - chip and pulley maybe just as fast as a Rs5.. But you thats not a fair comparison.. Modded car versus stock car.

Compare the two stock for stock and its clearly obvious the Rs5 is a better car, yes it costs more but no one ever said exclusivity was cheap.

End of rant LOLOL
Hold on a sec....Thats a heck of a statement from a GMG guy! I wouldnt say its sooo clear...people have driven back to back and thats why the debate has come up...the interior and build quality is NEAR IDENTICAL. Both use the same transmission...same Diff...Same Quattro system...so whats different? The suspension...which is adaptive and adjustable in the S5...and NOT in the RS5. RS5 isnt as stiff as the S5 in Dynamic and rougher than an S5 in comfort. Thats a knock on the RS5. Oh the numb steering is more pronounced on the RS5 because there is more weight over the front. On the street...the S5 gets into its powerband faster and has more torque so acceleration feels faster...these are all things the 2013 V6T have over the V8. Now all things things a tuner (such as GMG) can fix...springs, sway bars and understeer is gone...with coilovers you can probably reduce some harshness...Chipping the RS5 will get you a bit more power and torque...or Supercharge it and get WAY more power...Even stock for stock..the divide isnt that far...which is why the RS5 is not winning popularity contests. Yes the ttV8 from teh S6 would have erased all doubters becuase it would have crazy performance...but it would then be faster than the R8...which cant be done....Its like Porsche making sure the Cayman/Boxster will never be faster than the 911 even tough they could easily put in the high output engines from the GT3 and make a MONSTER Cayman that would outhandle every 911....but they won't. Marketing. The RS5 is in a tough spot...cant be faster than the R8...has to have a bigger engine than the S5...even if its not much faster. Now the looks is PERFECT. That is ONE SEXY CAR. RS5 is probably the best looking car under 150k. The box flares are truly nice.. With the 20" rims...its just visually stunning. That alone may be worth the extra 15k! Maybe Audi should develop a 3.5L Supercharged engine with more boost...Put out 450 HP and have GOBS of torque! Or just drop in the V8 twin turbo from the S6...but that wont happen for 3 years and in the B9...if we get the RS5.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:23 AM
My thoughts for what they are worth, Audi should have dropped the hammer on M & AMG Black by shoehorning the R8 V10 engine in the bay (albeit detuned). Kept the S5 adaptive suspension then reduce the entire car's curb weight by 100-150lbs.

It is fairly easy for manufacturers today to find ways to reduce a car's weight by 100lbs.

Make the RS5 truly special and a dominate statement vs. a dollar-to-performance pensive reflection of the S5.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Audi RS5 On-Track Review