Audi S4, S6, RS4, RS6, R8 etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

So, how fast is the new S8?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 06:05 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sakimano
I mentioned above that none of the high torque (500 ft lbs +) 4.0 twin turbo audi cars are being shipped with the dsg/s-tronic dual clutch.

Not sure what an s4 has to do with that but I will just point out that 325 ft lbs (which is what audi claims your s4 makes) it is 180 foot lbs less than the rs6, Rs7 and s8. In reality the s4 looks like it makes about 350 ft lbs of torque on good gas, as we know it's a little underrated from the factory. Even still this is 155 ft lbs shy of the claimed numbers for the three 4.0t engined cars that have opted for the traditional torque converter automatic. They're in another world torque wise vs the dsg cars.
I think, perhaps, that your definition of high torque, compared to ours may be slightly different. That's all. I guess I considered anything over 300lb-ft of torque, relatively high.

Of course, now I'm wondering if the new R8 will offer the 4.0 engine (or more powerful replacement).

Old 01-31-2013, 08:10 AM
AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
I think, perhaps, that your definition of high torque, compared to ours may be slightly different. That's all. I guess I considered anything over 300lb-ft of torque, relatively high.

Of course, now I'm wondering if the new R8 will offer the 4.0 engine (or more powerful replacement).
Nope. They (Audi) say it's staying normally aspirated. Seems a shame from a tuning perspective. They did throw the 4.0 TT into the Bentley Conti GT though. If that S8 was a ringer then the BMW must have been an anti-ringer.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:42 AM
sakimano is infamous around these partssakimano is infamous around these parts

I think you misunderstood my first post. I was differentiating the high torque 4.0T applications (S8, RS6, RS7) from the lower torque 4.0T applications (S6, S7, A8)

The DSG went in the lower torque 4.0T cars . They make 406 ft lbs...certainly not low torque, agreed...but low torque compared to the 506 ft lbs S8, RS6, RS7. Clearly Audi thinks there's a reliability concern with the DSG at the higher torque levels.

the S8 has a torque converter traditional automatic. The dual clutch DSG system was used on the lower torque S6/S7/A8 4.0T cars.
AS for the R8 I don't know...but the only other Audi that had the A8 4.2 engine was the R8 and the RS5.

Normally aspirated makes a ton of sense for a targeted level of power. Forced induction makes a ton of sense when you care about fuel efficiency, road tax and tunability. Audi doesn't care about fuel efficiency and road tax for the limited production R8. They DEFINITELY don't care about tunability of their warranteed cars.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:06 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
I think you misunderstood my first post. I was differentiating the high torque 4.0T applications (S8, RS6, RS7) from the lower torque 4.0T applications (S6, S7, A8)

The DSG went in the lower torque 4.0T cars . They make 406 ft lbs...certainly not low torque, agreed...but low torque compared to the 506 ft lbs S8, RS6, RS7. Clearly Audi thinks there's a reliability concern with the DSG at the higher torque levels.

AS for the R8 I don't know...but the only other Audi that had the A8 4.2 engine was the R8 and the RS5.

Normally aspirated makes a ton of sense for a targeted level of power. Forced induction makes a ton of sense when you care about fuel efficiency, road tax and tunability. Audi doesn't care about fuel efficiency and road tax for the limited production R8. They DEFINITELY don't care about tunability of their warranteed cars.
Understood. And agreed.

Regarding R8 and dual clutch. The wife and I have put any plans to get the R8 on hold until we see how this develops. We've been looking/waiting for a car with AWD,500+HP,DCT, mid-engine. There is no such creature from the factory, except the Veyron, which doesn't translate well for my daily commute (nor my daily budget).

Old 01-31-2013, 10:21 AM
sakimano is infamous around these partssakimano is infamous around these parts
Understood. And agreed.

Regarding R8 and dual clutch. The wife and I have put any plans to get the R8 on hold until we see how this develops. We've been looking/waiting for a car with AWD,500+HP,DCT, mid-engine. There is no such creature from the factory, except the Veyron, which doesn't translate well for my daily commute (nor my daily budget).
is the Veyron dual clutch?

With respect to the R8 5.2, it meets your needs, doesn't it?

AWD - check (80:20 rear biased quattro)
500+hp - check (525 base, and 560 for the R8 5.2 Plus I believe)
DCT - it has the DSG in it now (S-tronic)
mid engine - check

Old 01-31-2013, 11:48 AM
AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !
is the Veyron dual clutch?

With respect to the R8 5.2, it meets your needs, doesn't it?

AWD - check (80:20 rear biased quattro)
500+hp - check (525 base, and 560 for the R8 5.2 Plus I believe)
DCT - it has the DSG in it now (S-tronic)
mid engine - check
Yes the Veyron has a dual clutch. Jasper, if I were you I would wait and see what the Cabrera's price point ends up being. It will share the R8's DSG when released later this year. The next gen R8 will be introduced around the same time. The DSG price premium should be gone by then and they may even be discounted. That may be what you were saying...

Old 01-31-2013, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by AudiBull
Yes the Veyron has a dual clutch. Jasper, if I were you I would wait and see what the Cabrera's price point ends up being. It will share the R8's DSG when released later this year. The next gen R8 will be introduced around the same time. The DSG price premium should be gone by then and they may even be discounted. That may be what you were saying...
This is EXACTLY what I meant. Thanks for understanding...

The new R8V10 is going to be a beast.

BUT - then we've got to see how Lotus turns out (after that whole mess). Too many good cars coming out with similar themes... NSX, etc...

Wow - sorry for off-topic BS.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:51 PM
Audi doesn't care about fuel efficiency and road tax for the limited production R8. They DEFINITELY don't care about tunability of their warranteed cars.
CAFE laws cover the average of all models so they definitely care. They're forced to. That's why the next gen R8, and current RS6/RS7 all have cylinder deactivation regardless of their low sales volumes. I've even heard that the reasoning for the 8 speed in the S8, RS6, etc. was because the super tall eighth gear returned far better gas mileage for the aforementioned CAFE standards. This is also why Lamborghini recently purchased Ducatti.

No European or Japanese car manufacturer really cares about aftermarket tuning, other than maybe voiding warranties, I was talking about an owners perspective.

This is EXACTLY what I meant. Thanks for understanding...

Wow - sorry for off-topic BS.
No problem, I've been on the same page with you the whole time. We talked about the R8 DSG a couple months ago.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:45 PM
nyc123 is a jewel in the roughnyc123 is a jewel in the roughnyc123 is a jewel in the rough
any real life feedback from owners on this car ?

Old 01-31-2013, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by nyc123
any real life feedback from owners on this car ?
Other than making you feel like you are about to rob an armored truck..., no..., I got nothing.