Audi S4, S6, RS4, RS6, R8 etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

So, how fast is the new S8?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 03:28 PM
AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !
So, how fast is the new S8?

While trying to get over the flu earlier this week I was reading the usual suspects of car mags that I subscribe to. I started to put some things together in my head. I had read the Motor Trend Alpina B7 vs. S8 comparo last month and was already impressed by some of the findings. For those that haven't seen the article, one of the most startling findings was the actual WHP of the cars when dyno tested. The S8 tested at 55 hp more than claimed (520 claimed vs. 575 measured). The Alpina on the other hand measured 43 hp less than claimed(540 claimed 497 hp measured). This was all done while factoring in a 20% drivetrain loss for both cars, which would actually favor the BMW's RWD vs. the S8's AWD. This all explained why the editors were measuring such amazing numbers from the S8, 0-60 in 3.5, 1/4 mile in 11.8@118.3.

Fast forward to this week and me flipping through mags and arriving at the Road and Track Road Test Summary. It was then that I began to see just how impressive those numbers are. Here are a few other cars that have 0-60 and 1/4 mile times within .3 seconds of the S8

Audi S8 (3.5, 11.8@118.9 MPH)
R8 GT (3.6, 11.7@123.1 MPH)
Corvette Z06 (3.6, 11.7@124.1)
Lambo 550-2 Valentino Balboni (3.5, 11.5@126 MPH)
Shelby GT 500 (3.5, 11.7@128.1 MPH)
Lexus LFA (3.8, 11.8@124.4 MPH)
MB SL65 AMG Black (3.9, 11.8@126.3 MPH)
MB SLS AMG (3.5, 11.5@125.3 MPH)
991 Carrera S (3.5, 11.8@118.4 MPH)
Panamera Turbo S (3.4, 11.6@120.8 MPH)
997 GT3 RS 4.0 (3.6, 11.8@122.2 MPH)
MB McLaren SLR (3.5, 11.5@126.1 MPH)
McLaren F1 (3.4, 11.6@125.0 MPH)

Perhaps you guys can see what I started to realize. This 4600 lb. car can be grouped with some of the fastest sports cars currently made, along with a few supercars that are considered iconic pieces of machinery. The other amazing thing to consider is that the S8 can still get 26 MPG on the highway and can carry five adults around with a bunch of luggage. The fact that it can keep up with a McLaren F1 while weighing 1800 lbs. more, and still get 50% better gas mileage, shows how far cars have advanced in the last fifteen years. The only comparable sedan is the Panamera, which becomes harder to compare in the real world due to it costing almost 50% more. The other thing that stuck out to me was that the only new cars you can buy that are faster in a straight line while costing the same or less are the Corvette ZR1, GT-R, and the Shelby GT500. Pretty good company there also. Handling comparable to an M5 and class leading amenities make the S8 an all around hit.

These are all just numbers, but I was startled by these realizations. The S8's 4.0L twin turbo motor is ripe pickings for tuners and with mods this car can be even more of a monster. A simple tune alone would elevate it into the realm of some other modern supercars. Personally, the S8 and every other car in it's segment aren't for me at this point in my life. I have no children, and prefer a smaller sportier chassis. I just thought maybe some of you would appreciate this comparison. It certainly impressed me.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:38 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
That is a pretty cool way of looking at it. This all exists, of course, until you turn the steering wheel.

Thanks for bringing this up. It is definitely going to spark some discussion with the wife (even though she is starting to tire of these).

Old 01-27-2013, 05:00 PM
AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
That is a pretty cool way of looking at it. This all exists, of course, until you turn the steering wheel.
Yeah, I thought the S8's .90 lateral G's sounded pretty good until I realized that's the same as a Buick Regal GS...and a Jag XKR-S... and a Miata... and a Mini JCW. Hold on, when did they start making Buick's that are comparable to these cars? Anyway, another thing I realized is the fact that all the numbers I was looking at are usually the best observed in a test. Which means when you are in the real world and handling a manual you better be up to the task when an 8 speed automatic S8 pulls up next to you. It'll rip off the same number time after time. The AWD means most RWD cars on that list would be hard pressed to keep up from a launch on the street. But you own a GT-R, so you fully realize the advantages of those last couple points.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:34 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AudiBull
Yeah, I thought the S8's .90 lateral G's sounded pretty good until I realized that's the same as a Buick Regal GS...and a Jag XKR-S... and a Miata... and a Mini JCW. Hold on, when did they start making Buick's that are comparable to these cars? Anyway, another thing I realized is the fact that all the numbers I was looking at are usually the best observed in a test. Which means when you are in the real world and handling a manual you better be up to the task when an 8 speed automatic S8 pulls up next to you. It'll rip off the same number time after time. The AWD means most RWD cars on that list would be hard pressed to keep up from a launch on the street. But you own a GT-R, so you fully realize the advantages of those last couple points.
lol! Indeed - Moderate power, AWD and dual clutch...

But yeah, I remember seeing a newer Buick with a V6 twin turbo and AWD thinking WTF?

Cars have gotten pretty crazy as of late. And you raise a recurring point about observing in a test. That is what I've been saying lately about contemporary sports cars - they are starting to be driven a lot more than in the past.

Yesterday cars that had these numbers were coddled in a climate controlled garage, never seeing the light of day (or night). Now, these cars with real performance numbers can offer a sporty experience, then take the family out for dinner.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:19 PM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
I never really "got" these types of cars. They are too heavy and big to be of any use at a track or even fun or appropriate for "sporting" driving. I cant imagine anyone who would want to sit in the back while you do a 3.5 sec blast.

And f you can can afford one, surely you can afford a proper sports sedan to coupe.

It's an amazing achievement, but I'm not sure it has any practical use beyond bragging rights.

I guess other people get it.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:37 PM
L0U
L0U is a jewel in the roughL0U is a jewel in the roughL0U is a jewel in the roughL0U is a jewel in the rough
I love my S8. Its so perfect in so many ways. 100% useable power for my daily driving. Even in this weeks snow storms, its been great. Audi can be proud of this design feat. It delivers as tested.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by black penguin
... I cant imagine anyone who would want to sit in the back while you do a 3.5 sec blast. ...
My kids love it.

Regarding the S8: Because owning a family car doesn't mean you can't have fun, or drive properly on the road.

I hate the commercial with the S8. Makes me not want it at all.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:27 AM
nyc123 is a jewel in the roughnyc123 is a jewel in the roughnyc123 is a jewel in the rough
very tempted to trade my alpina b7 for the new s8 but on my short test drive while the motor seems great it also seems to still have the traditional audi characteristics of front wheel drive feel and numb steering...

Old 01-30-2013, 11:45 AM
sakimano is infamous around these partssakimano is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
lol! Indeed - Moderate power, AWD and dual clutch...
the S8 has a torque converter traditional automatic. The dual clutch DSG system was used on the lower torque S6/S7/A8 4.0T cars.

Unless you were talking about something else...then carry on.

S8 is ridiculously fast in the real world, full stop. Nevermind the fact it is 4500 lbs, and 17 feet long lol. Truly crazy car.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by sakimano
the S8 has a torque converter traditional automatic. The dual clutch DSG system was used on the lower torque S6/S7/A8 4.0T cars.

Unless you were talking about something else...then carry on.

S8 is ridiculously fast in the real world, full stop. Nevermind the fact it is 4500 lbs, and 17 feet long lol. Truly crazy car.
I was - we were referencing AWD cars that take off from a stand-still.

The dual clutch (S-tronic) is also being used on higher torque 4.2 (RS5/upcoming R8) and 5.2 (upcoming R8) cars. Not sure why that came up...

Old 01-30-2013, 07:01 PM
Those aren't really high torque applications. 317 ft lbs for the rs5, a d I think 370 ft lbs for the r8

The 500 ft lbs + cars (S8, Rs6, Rs7) are torque converter automatics.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:23 PM
brettd007 is a splendid one to beholdbrettd007 is a splendid one to beholdbrettd007 is a splendid one to beholdbrettd007 is a splendid one to beholdbrettd007 is a splendid one to beholdbrettd007 is a splendid one to beholdbrettd007 is a splendid one to behold
My 2013 S4 is a 7 speed sportronic (dual clutch) and has over 330 lb/ft torque...

Old 01-30-2013, 07:43 PM
evil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to behold
well, when i read that the S8 dynoed 55 hp more than claimed, i have to admit my first thought was "Audi must have sent a ringer"

Old 01-31-2013, 05:18 AM
Originally Posted by evil panda
well, when i read that the S8 dynoed 55 hp more than claimed, i have to admit my first thought was "Audi must have sent a ringer"
Unfortunately, we are all tainted by experiences of theories (some of which have been proven one way or the other) of ringers. Almost every manufacturer is guilty of this at some point. BUT - at this power level, depending on manufacturing conditions, there are variations in output.

However, the assumption of 20% drivetrain loss isn't as accurate as it once was. Transmissions have become less parasitic than in the past. It was a good tool to gauge the power of one vehicle to the next, but it doesn't necessarily mean it was an accurate measure of power for a single vehicle.

It is entirely possible that both vehicles released engines with accurate numbers, but the S8 may have a more efficient transmission, while the BMW may have slightly more parasitic loss when transferring that power to the wheels (which may have positive effects elsewhere, I don't know).

Old 01-31-2013, 05:47 AM
Originally Posted by brettd007
My 2013 S4 is a 7 speed sportronic (dual clutch) and has over 330 lb/ft torque...
I mentioned above that none of the high torque (500 ft lbs +) 4.0 twin turbo audi cars are being shipped with the dsg/s-tronic dual clutch.

Not sure what an s4 has to do with that but I will just point out that 325 ft lbs (which is what audi claims your s4 makes) it is 180 foot lbs less than the rs6, Rs7 and s8. In reality the s4 looks like it makes about 350 ft lbs of torque on good gas, as we know it's a little underrated from the factory. Even still this is 155 ft lbs shy of the claimed numbers for the three 4.0t engined cars that have opted for the traditional torque converter automatic. They're in another world torque wise vs the dsg cars.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: So, how fast is the new S8?