Audi S4, S6, RS4, RS6, R8 etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

I'm driving an A4 loaner today.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 12:30 PM

Mr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond repute
I'm driving an A4 loaner today.

Took my Allroad in for some warranty work and I was given a 2006 A4 2.0T with CVT and front track. This little motor is pretty peppy even in stock form. One thing that is annoying is that there is major lag when launching off the line. A little brake boost seems to help. Also, can someone enlighten me on the CVT? Why are there 7 speeds in tiptronic mode if the gear ratios are continuously changing? I don't get it.

Old 08-09-2006, 12:47 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
put some wheel on that thing!

Old 08-09-2006, 01:07 PM

Mr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond repute
arling do you rent wheels for one day?

Old 08-09-2006, 01:13 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
let's talk. u wanna roll with RS4 wheel? rent is not cheap.

Old 08-09-2006, 01:22 PM
Marc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really nice
its a neat tranny it never changes RPM it just changes speed...its weird to adjust to, as well that 2.0 is in the Golf GTI and the A3 you chip that bad boy and it really moves

Old 08-09-2006, 01:28 PM

arling, let me borrow your RS4 wheels for the day. you can have my 16 inchers for drifting.

marc, my point is that the car actually has different "speeds." you can upshift and downshift like any other auto. so is it really continuous or is it a close ration 7 speed box?

Old 08-09-2006, 02:37 PM
alex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond repute
I agree with the lag...around town when i didnt have the flash
I would use sport mode all the time.. now it's pretty quick..but i do have quattro though not cvt, so maybe different.

Old 08-09-2006, 02:41 PM

fwd - that's another thing i hate. pretty heavy torque steer when boost comes on. i would have to get quattro with this car.

Old 08-11-2006, 12:46 AM
AudiGuy is infamous around these parts
Early CVT's only had the tip mode and D. This was simply because the tip mode was pretty standard for audi at the time. It was a way to have a sporty feel to the mushy CVT. People didnt like the feel of the CVT and didnt use the tip function so they added the S later. I think the tip function has gotten better, but the new CVT with the 2.0t is really jerky IMO.

To be technical...instead of slowly changing the ratio so there is no feel, they just change the ratio very quickly so it feels like a shift took place.

Old 08-11-2006, 01:22 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
The gear control is just programming so that it allows the driver to manually control the engine rev. there is no mechanical gear on CVT and the "7 speed" is electronic programming.

Old 08-11-2006, 04:16 PM
fm.illuminatus is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Mr Kram
Took my Allroad in for some warranty work and I was given a 2006 A4 2.0T with CVT and front track. This little motor is pretty peppy even in stock form. One thing that is annoying is that there is major lag when launching off the line. A little brake boost seems to help. Also, can someone enlighten me on the CVT? Why are there 7 speeds in tiptronic mode if the gear ratios are continuously changing? I don't get it.
Preset ratios to make people who are scared of the CVT more comfortable. Had the same thing in my mini cooper. Simply by definition the CVT is more efficient, but I suppose manufacturers feel some people might feel better with the tiptronic option...?

Old 08-11-2006, 04:54 PM

Thanks for the explanations. I returned the A4 yesterday and the Allroad is back at home.

Old 08-11-2006, 05:17 PM
02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute
should have kept the a4 we could be rolling now in the a4's we be brotha's!

Old 08-11-2006, 05:27 PM

i actually wanted to drive the crap out of it, but i didn't have a baby seat for it so i was only using to go to and from work. driving that small car makes me yearn for something sporty. i may have to talk janet into a 4th car again. i should have kept that S2000...

Old 08-11-2006, 05:31 PM
02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mr Kram
i actually wanted to drive the crap out of it, but i didn't have a baby seat for it so i was only using to go to and from work. driving that small car makes me yearn for something sporty. i may have to talk janet into a 4th car again. i should have kept that S2000...
caymanS? 600 over invoice hahhadude u got too many baby haulers lol

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I'm driving an A4 loaner today.