Audi S4, S6, RS4, RS6, R8 etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Has any Quattro system ever broken down?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 05:19 PM
jox
jox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond repute
Has any Quattro system ever broken down?

I just got out of a pretty loud debate with a friend. He's terrified putting on his spare wheel (which is a Michelin) on when the other 3 are Pirelli's on his 03 RS6. All in same size and dimension. He claims the quattro is going to break, I say he's over-reacting. I know you're supposed to have somewhat similar sizes on, but then again I've never ever heard of a broken down Q.

My question is - has anybody ever heard of a quattro breaking down? EVER? For any reason??

Last edited by jox; 11-29-2006 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:17 PM
Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !
Your friend is over-reacting. As long as the rolling diameter is the same, it should be good.

I have never heard of a quattro system breaking down. They're very well built.

Old 11-29-2006, 06:22 PM
Mad Swami is a name known to allMad Swami is a name known to allMad Swami is a name known to allMad Swami is a name known to allMad Swami is a name known to allMad Swami is a name known to all
I have heard of differentials break down due to too much power that's about it. It did not have anything to do with the wheels/tires. Your friend should be fine.

Old 11-29-2006, 11:59 PM
AudiGuy is infamous around these parts
lets assume that a quattro car has 20k miles on it. the spare tire is in good condition and has never been used.

If you put that spare tire on and drive for porlonged distances and for a long time (ie: no intent to fix the flat and drive forever on the spare) you will start setting all kinds of faults for ABS and traction control. You may get all kinds of faults/warnings but mechanically the car will for fine for a long time.

After a LONG period of time you will wear on the rear diff if its on the rear, or the trans if its a front tire. This would only happen after a lot of driving, and ive only heard of this happening once.

If it were my RS6 id just replace all 4 and be done with it. Depending on what happened to make the flat tire id try to get it fixed.

Old 11-30-2006, 01:56 AM
BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !
Jox,

Tell your friend not to worry, he can use that tire for a short time though.
Reason I say is only because it is unsafe to have 2 different tread designs on the same axle and for nothing more. As far as the quattro getting damaged it wont due to driving with 3 Pirelli's and 1 Michelin. He wont get any codes or faults due to that.
Bottom line is you should have all 4 tires the same but until a fix is ready he can drive like that. The quattro system is pretty indestructable, I havent heard of any breaking down, ever.
The tire he has for spare and if the Pirelli's are the same size and type of tire wont do any harm to the car.

Bajo

Old 11-30-2006, 02:44 PM
jox
jox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for your replies guys. Just as I thought, so I'll forward this thread to him.

He (well, actually his wife.. ) scraped his rim the other day and was going to use the Michelin while it's being repaired.

Old 11-30-2006, 05:16 PM
pilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nice
I just have an idea...what would happen to the RS4 just turning off the front differential...how would a RS4 RWD work?? that should be awesome IMO

Last edited by pilone; 11-30-2006 at 05:18 PM.