Audi S4, S6, RS4, RS6, R8 etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Help with B6 S4 Question - strange vibration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 03:26 PM
Banned
Crod is a jewel in the roughCrod is a jewel in the roughCrod is a jewel in the rough
Help with B6 S4 Question - strange vibration

Mine is a tip. I always drive in Sport mode - I don't use the paddles...
Everytime I start the car, put it in gear and take off, I always get this strange little vibration through the accelerator pedal in 1st gear. It only happens right when I start the car and the first time I take off from a standstill. It's just a slight vibe and then it's gone as I accelerate. It's really weird cause I can come to a stop 10 seconds later, and start in first again and it doesn't happen.
Anyone have a clue what this could be ?

EDIT - researched over at Audiworld but this was all I found...sounds very similar:

http://forums.audiworld.com/s4b6/msgs/158950.phtml

Last edited by Crod; 12-14-2006 at 03:43 PM.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:42 PM
ttgangsta has a spectacular aura aboutttgangsta has a spectacular aura aboutttgangsta has a spectacular aura about
no clue bro. I have a 6sp and it obviously doesn't do that. I had an A4 3.0 with tip and it never vibrated, it would shudder if i put it in gear and gased to fast though.

Old 12-14-2006, 03:46 PM
Banned
Crod is a jewel in the roughCrod is a jewel in the roughCrod is a jewel in the rough
Thanks man...

Old 12-14-2006, 04:04 PM
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
It might be old tranny fluid... Needs to warm up. Just a thought given the conditions (right after start up, goes away after a while, shudder through tranny).

Old 12-14-2006, 04:10 PM
Banned
Yeah, that sounds like it could be the case...I'll get the tranny fluid warmed up on my way home from work then stop a few blocks short of my hosue, shut it off and then start it back up and see if it happens when the fluid is at operating temp. That ought to rule out this scenario....
Thanks Chris

Old 12-14-2006, 06:48 PM
Secure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud of
Luke,

I have to agree with Chris...in that it must be fluid related.
Take it to the dealer and have them flush it and replace with redline fluid or something a little better than stock.

Old 12-14-2006, 10:33 PM
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Crod
Yeah, that sounds like it could be the case...I'll get the tranny fluid warmed up on my way home from work then stop a few blocks short of my hosue, shut it off and then start it back up and see if it happens when the fluid is at operating temp. That ought to rule out this scenario....
Thanks Chris
Any word how it turned out? Gotta have love for the S4... I miss mine.

Old 12-15-2006, 12:10 AM
Banned
I got mad love for the S4...so much so that I just bought'er a little present to help her breathe better:

- Milltek cat back non-res and Hyperflow intake WITH bulkhead

I did the warm up to operating temp for the tranny fluid, then shut it off, restarted and there was nothing. I'm sure you're right and it has something to do with the fluid being cold. I do find it odd though so I'm gonna have my local tech test drive it for an "informed " opinion. Thanks for the help and interest - this car rocks. I can't believe how much fun and how well built it is. I seriously have been considering getting rid of the 997 I like it so much...no joke...

One other question...is it normal for the Tip tranny to whine quite a bit ?

Last edited by Crod; 12-15-2006 at 01:09 PM.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:17 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by SecureS4
Luke,

I have to agree with Chris...in that it must be fluid related.
Take it to the dealer and have them flush it and replace with redline fluid or something a little better than stock.
Thanks bro - I'm gonna do it myself this weekend when I have it up on the lift for the exhaust install. I know I'll never be able to do a complete "flush", but draining it and replacing with new will hopefully do the trick. Which fluid is the best to run in it ??

Old 12-15-2006, 02:23 PM
Secure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud of
Congrats on the milltek. For fluid, I have no clue for a tip. Try posting on AW. I always ran redline for manual tranny and diffs. THey make ATF also but I am not sure if it is what Audi would recommend. I think they use some type of synthetic. I know it takes like 16 qts for the whole system if you intend to flush it all. I really would pose it to the dealer and try and get it taken care of under warranty. The fluid alone will probably run about $300 if not covered then $150 for labor to flush/re-fill with new.

Old 12-15-2006, 02:44 PM
Banned
Gotcha...I just spoke to the service guy at my local dealer and he asked that I bring it in and leave it for them to diagnose. This Audi dealer happens to be owned by the same company that I had so many problems with on my Porsche - Hoehn...Considering my recent problems with their Porsche group, I'm very hesitant to leave my car with these a-holes, but I guess I have no choice

Last edited by Crod; 12-15-2006 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:14 PM
pjalexandre is infamous around these parts
Hey Crod,

My S4 tip makes a bit of whine as well. I rather like it in fact. Sounds like nothing to worry about. So you really like your S4 over your 997? I dunno, my 996 feels much more raw and connected not to mention all around better handling dynamics. And considering the power deficit of the 996 it still feels much faster to me.

Now one thing that has surprised me about the S4 is how easy it is to go fast, absolutely effortless.

But for the record I am comparing a 6spd MT 996 to a 6spd Tiptronic S4.

Old 12-15-2006, 03:53 PM
Banned
Good to know Alexander - thx. I like the coolness/sleeper factor of the Avant. Also, the S4 seems to be put together better than my 997. The build quality, fit and finish of the S4 is as good if not better than the Porsche...at a FRACTION of the price. Thats what really gets me. Sure, the 997 is a much better performance car. But if someone said I could only keep one, it'd be the S4 for sure.

Old 12-16-2006, 11:35 AM
pjalexandre is infamous around these parts
Crod,

Can't agree with you more on the sleeper factor. We all know how great the Audi interiors are, no one beats them on that. Yeah, if I had to give up the 911 then maybe not the S4 but the RS4

-Paul

Old 12-16-2006, 12:23 PM
Banned
Sure, but only if I could have an RS4 Avant That would be sick...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help with B6 S4 Question - strange vibration