Audi S4, S6, RS4, RS6, R8 etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

R8 Driving Experience / Las Vegas

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 06:55 PM
Griza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud of
Excellent write up of a very interesting vehicle. What color and options did you choose?

Old 02-22-2007, 09:39 PM
offroad911 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ryanro24
Was the slalom setup the same as in the video? I figured it might have been the same stretch of road that you described. Sounds like it was a blast.
The slalom course was a bit different but the road course was new and the media did not get to "flog" the R8 the same way the buyers and prospective buyers did!

Originally Posted by Griza
Excellent write up of a very interesting vehicle. What color and options did you choose?
I am fairly set on Ibis White exterior with carbon sigma side blades, full carbon interior trim including enginetrim & LED engine lighting , Mustang Brown Full NAPA Leather with deviating stitch, 19" 5 arm split spoke wheels, magnetic ride suspension, R-Tronic transmission, B&O Sound, TPMS, Satelite NAV+, Hill Hold Assist, Rain Sensor Wipers, Acoustic Parking System, Cruise Control, Heated & Power Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, LED Lighting Package. Some of the options listed may be standard once Audi releases the US Pricing.

Last edited by offroad911; 02-22-2007 at 10:51 PM.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:43 PM
Responsible user
Bronto is infamous around these parts
very comprehensive and nice write-up! you seem more that pleased with it and most have had a great time driving it on the track!
I can't wait to see one in the streets fell in love with it at the la autoshow.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:36 AM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
how would u compare it to a 911 c2s?

Old 02-23-2007, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by LIL RAJA
how would u compare it to a 911 c2s?
Having owned a C2S, C4S and a 996 Turbo "S", the R8 is superior to alll three except in performance where the Turbo has the edge, however not by a significant margin. The R8 has superior build quality, better handling, much better braking, more interior room, better performance and equally important, exclusivity.

Old 02-23-2007, 08:10 PM
BD 997 is infamous around these parts
any info on price?

Old 02-23-2007, 08:52 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
worth every penny to own it.
thanks for the post!

Old 02-23-2007, 10:03 PM
Dave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by offroad911
Having owned a C2S, C4S and a 996 Turbo "S", the R8 is superior to alll three except in performance where the Turbo has the edge, however not by a significant margin. The R8 has superior build quality, better handling, much better braking, more interior room, better performance and equally important, exclusivity.
Thanks for the info. I've had a BoxsterS, 996C4S Coupe and cab and now a 997C2S cab and I've wondered how the R8 Compares. Sounds like I won't be disappointed.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:29 PM
Originally Posted by BD 997
any info on price?
No official AoA pricing yet. Official pricing will be released at the International R8 Dealer Launch in April being held in Phoenix. Pricing discussed was $100K base to $120/$130K on the loaded side. There are a lot of available options, ie; R-Tronic transmission, Interior Carbon Trim, Engine Carbon Trim, Carbon Sigma or Oxygen Silver Side Blades, Extended Leather Interior Package, Alcantra Headliner, Deviating leather stitching, Power seats, heated seats, Electric Lumbar Support, Audi Hill-Hold assist, Cruise Control, Homelink, Light Package, LED Headlights (2008 option), Ceramic Brakes (2008 option), Auto dimming mirrors, digital compass display, rain sensor wipers, Acoustic Parking system, 19" wheels, Magnetic Ride suspension, CD Changer, Sat Nav+, Polished Stainless Steel Pedals and probably some I missed.

I think the pricing will be much different (and lower) than European since the American buyer wants options. Like the RS4, I suspect the first units will have a "Premium" package which will include a lot of the options. That is not official, just me thinking out loud and based on previous Audi vehicle launch programs.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:32 PM
Denstoyz is infamous around these parts
I saw a whole convoy of about 25 R8's last night while I was on my way to LV airport (McCarran) - I was in my S65 and was surrounded by a slew of these cars. Amazing to look at - the inside lights up like a xmas tree and the led lights on the outside really stand out! I got up front and tried to get the lead car to run me but he didn't - was curious to see how it would run though I know they arent that fast (yet). But in person and on the road these cars are a piece of work!!

I heard only 200 are coming stateside though?? All of these cars had Euro plates on them. It will be sad if only such a low # are imported.

Old 02-24-2007, 08:26 AM
Originally Posted by Denstoyz
I saw a whole convoy of about 25 R8's last night while I was on my way to LV airport (McCarran)
What you saw was the last of the three R8 Driving Expereinces on the way back to the Ritz Carlton where the R8 Driving Experience is based.

Originally Posted by Denstoyz
I heard only 200 are coming stateside though??
200 R8 units for 2007 and larger allocations in 2008 & 2009. Consider that the small, specialty Audi factory setup to build the R8 will only build 15-20 cars a day which is approximately 3,500-4,500 units annually to supply world wide demand.

Old 02-24-2007, 02:34 PM
BD 997 is infamous around these parts
I wonder what dealers in New England are going to carry the R8?

Old 02-24-2007, 05:54 PM
kraeburn is infamous around these partskraeburn is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by BD 997
I wonder what dealers in New England are going to carry the R8?
I know that Inskip will be getting 1-2. They are spoken for though.

Old 02-24-2007, 11:16 PM
YSITSMN is infamous around these parts
OK who do I need to talk to to get the seats? They look better than the euro rs4 seats.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:54 PM
emilgh is infamous around these partsemilgh is infamous around these parts
I dropped by the last weekend of the Audi R8 Experience in Las Vegas yesterday. Wow. This thing is FANTASTIC. Really beautiful. Wonderful driveline. Amazingly finished.

I've had 2 Gallardos, and given that this car is based on the Gallardo, I was VERY eager to drive it. I'm really impressed how they eliminated every complaint I had about the Gallardo. Similar to the RS4, this car does NOT have the heavy feel that most all-wheel drive cars have. When you drive the Gallardo, you realize that at low speeds the car feels like a tank. (It's endemic to the current Lamborghini line, in my opinion) But, the second you step on the gas and start to hustle, the weight disappears and the point and shoot drivability of the Gallardo becomes dominant. The R8 does not have any of the heavy feeling of the Gallardo. It also does not have the seat-of-the-pants kick that a mid-engine RWD car like a Challenge Stradale or F430 does, for example.

All of my other complaints about the Gallardo, which are exceedingly minimal, have been rectified. The car is easy to get in and out of. The doors are not "huge" (The gallardo doors can be a pain in the *** in a parking lot). The cabin ergonomics are much more driver focused. The audio system is unreal. The braking system is crisp (and the Carbon Ceramics bite like nothing else.)

We spent a lot of time on the track. I ran for about an hour with the instructors from Audi in our own run group. I had the chance to drive a few different cars with and without magna ride as well as with and without the ceramics. I'm shocked at how well the Magna Ride technology works. Cornering through the final turn at the Vegas Speedway infield course with and without magnaride was really interesting. There realy is a stunning difference in the speed that you an maintain through the turn when the system is active. It's really noticable.

Braking tests of cars with and without the ceramics was interesting, too. When you've got a car as light as the R8, the ceramics make a noticable difference. 2 identical cars - one with and the other without ceramics from zero to 75 yielded a 10' to 15' difference in braking distance to zero. (Of course given that this was the end of the month-long session tire life on the different test cars might have played a part in that variance now that I think about it)

In any event, I have 2 complaints about the car:

- At 120 mph, wind noise in the cabin is almost painful. I've had a lot of cars. I spend far more time than I should INXS of 120 mph with the windows open.

- The front boot in the R8 is even smaller than in the Gallardo. I didn't think that was possible, but nevertheless... it is.

So, how do I really feel about the Audi R8? I've placed an order. I put a deposit in and should have a car before the end of the year. The first cars are rolling off the line in Ingolstadt now. As soon as I get an order sheet, I'll post it up.

Oh, and pics on Flickr...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: R8 Driving Experience / Las Vegas