Audi S4, S6, RS4, RS6, R8 etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

RS4: H&R springs now available...ok to do?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 03:36 PM
oalvarez is infamous around these parts
RS4: H&R springs now available...ok to do?

Friends, i'll be brief. H&R has developed a spring for the RS4. I want to lower my RS4 as i think it simply sits too high. i will not track this car and will only put 7k miles/year on it. i will not spend Stassis type money on it as it is a leased vehicle (may end up buying it though). the question is this: if H&R developed a spring that fits the car how negative could the effects really be? i can't believe that dampeners and shocks would go bad as a result (my car has less than 400 miles on it so the shocks are in essence "brand new"). again, i put very little mileage on my cars and my commute is in town.

is this simply a bad idea? i just don't see how it could be all that bad...for crying out loud, a very high percentage of 997's around here have H&R/Techart springs on them as well. yes, i know the RS4 has the DRC suspension set-up.

thoughts?

Old 04-28-2007, 08:21 PM
hamr down is infamous around these parts
I think u will find that the ride will become bouncy after awhile. Basically your replacing your stock spring with a shorter and stiffer spring. Increasing the spring rate and reducing the height exceeds the parameters your shocks are designed for which would theoretically shorten the life of your shocks. Throw into that mix a DRC system that has not been very reliable and you could be paying a repair bill equal to a stasis setup.

Also you will need to have your DRC re-charged.

Old 04-28-2007, 09:08 PM
thanks for the reply! from having done more research on the topic today (and having spoken to the people at GMGracing, they've actually done a few) the DRC does not have to be emptied/re-charged. i'm not certain i understand how a shorter/stiffer spring could affect the DRC but perhaps that is the case. as i said, no chance for stassis here as i must keep the DRC in tact.

thanks!

Old 04-29-2007, 06:43 AM
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
From what I understand, H&R uses a tighter coil at the same rates as stock (on sporty cars) to lower the car without making the ride brittle or bouncy. I installed H&Rs on my PASM-equipped Carrera S and the ride is EXACTLY the same as it was before. It sits about an inch or so lower and I have an aggressive alignment that lets me catch the tail when I swing it out.

I don't think you'll have too much trouble - check out www.fourtitude.com for input from other RS4 owners or check with some RS6 guys since their cars also have DRC.

It should look awesome - I really want an RS4 - love your car...

Old 04-29-2007, 08:28 AM
Thanks, Chris, and i know i speak for many others, we love your car too (great wheels)! I've read/responded to your posts re: your car choices and I can only say that I love my RS4 and look forward to the day of being able to have a 993 tucked away in the garage. regardless, thanks for your reply, i will continue to snoop around on the various boards. it looks like some have already done the mod without regret so it's probably the way i will go too.

cheers

Old 05-01-2007, 08:54 AM
ReconTrojan is infamous around these parts
There is no way I would add just H&R

I met someone who did it and it ruined the car, period. If you want to do it cheaply you bought the wrong car IMO. The DRC system is good but cannot handle the additional stress of lowering springs alone. Several are failing in stock mode.
Either Stasis or another Coil-Over system or not at all.

I went Stasis.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:51 AM
thanks for the reply....Recon, is the car shown above on stassis? the car looks absolutely great (love the color too! ahem)

another question: if stassis, would it be easy to put the stock system back on? do parts other than the "coilovers" for a lack of a better term come off? trying to understand what i'd have to do to putit back to oem.

thanks

Old 05-01-2007, 11:22 AM
np

Originally Posted by oalvarez
thanks for the reply....Recon, is the car shown above on stassis? the car looks absolutely great (love the color too! ahem)

another question: if stassis, would it be easy to put the stock system back on? do parts other than the "coilovers" for a lack of a better term come off? trying to understand what i'd have to do to putit back to oem.

thanks

Thanks...we've good taste.

I had GMG do it and the DRC system is preserved, so you can switch back at lease end and sell your stasis system to someone else, they can even rebuild the system to new I believe, so there is some residual value.

It makes a huge difference, believe me, I was not anxious to do a 5K mod on my new car...now I don't even think about it and would do it again in a heartbeat. The car looks great but feels 500 pounds lighter.

They has a sale. 500 off I'm sure you can still get a good deal...better than what I paid for sure.

Good luck with whatever you do.

-Jon

Last edited by ReconTrojan; 05-01-2007 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:51 PM
turbo_freak is infamous around these parts
I would go with a coilover set up , my A4 is getting the Koni set up on Wednesday. Don't know if they make it for RS4. But spend the extra $ and have it looking the way you want it to.

Old 05-01-2007, 01:27 PM
I spoke to Fabryce over at GMG Racing and it definitely is the way to go as Recon says......look for pics of the new setup (or just look at Recon's pics!) on my car sometime in May.

thanks again

Old 05-01-2007, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by oalvarez
I spoke to Fabryce over at GMG Racing and it definitely is the way to go as Recon says......look for pics of the new setup (or just look at Recon's pics!) on my car sometime in May.

thanks again
Congrats, you will enjoy it, promise.

Really is the only solution if you want it lower without degradation of ride.

Look forward to seeing pictures of my evil twin.